UN condemns Iraq jihadists' attacks

webfact

UN Security Council condemns attacks by Iraqi jihadists

NEW YORK: -- The United Nations Security Council has condemned attacks by Iraqi jihadists , after hundreds of thousands of people from minority groups fled from militants.

The Islamic State (IS) group has seized Qaraqosh, Iraq's biggest Christian town, prompting residents to flee.

Many members of the Yazadi minority have also left their homes, some taking refuge in nearby mountains.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he was "deeply appalled".

"The members of the Security Council call on the international community to support the government and people of Iraq and to do all it can to help alleviate the suffering of the population affected by the current conflict in Iraq," said UK ambassador to the UN Mark Lyall Grant. after Thursday evening's meeting.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28699832

[bbc]2014-08-08[/bbc]

These terrorists are coming from Syria, where they were militarized, equipped, and supported by Western governments to fight against Bashar Assad. Now they're holding back. Their plan is probably waiting for the situation to get as messy as possible, then they would have enough justifications for the international community to get back to Iraq and take control. US government can finish what they started in 2003 which turned out a failure for them. They couldn't get enough out of Iraq so they need a reason to get back there.

UN Security Council condemns attacks by Iraqi jihadists

"We condemn what you did and if you don't stop we will condemn you even more. There is a chance we might use swear words in our next condemnation, so you all better have a good think about what you are doing!"

all at a cost of $5.512 billion for 2012–13

• Like 1

Perhaps it is time for both the UN and the USA to stay out of things they can not control and often make worse by their intervention. The ME is out of control through the activities of Muslim extremists and political intervention is a worthless toothless tiger against these fanatical animals. Either go in and wipe them off the face of this earth or leave them to their own devices.  Owing to the condescending and convoluted nature of present day politics we tolerate situations that would have been unheard of 50 years ago.

• Like 1

The ME is out of control through the activities of Muslim extremists and political intervention is a worthless toothless tiger against these fanatical animals. 

This is weird how ignorantly you talk about "political intervention"! These "fanatical animals" were just a small bunch of crazy powerless and also harmless people who were bestowed money and weapons by the very same USA you're advising to stay out of the mess now. ME is on fire today thanks not only to these fanatical animals but also to the ones who have been supporting them and using them as a tool to get to their goals in the region. Now tell me about "political intervention". I guess you watch TV way too much dude!

“The members of the Security Council call on the international community to support the government and people of Iraq and to do all it can to help alleviate the suffering of the population affected by the current conflict in Iraq,” said Mark Lyall Grant, UK ambassador to the UN 

would the current conflict in any way be connected to Bush/Blair's Operation Iraqi Freedom ???

Does it really matter? The present needs to be dealt with. We need to arm the Kurds to the teeth and provide them with air cover.

It doesn't matter. You are quite correct. These people need defending to the absolute maximum. I fear terrible atrocities have already happened to the Yazidi people at the hands of ISIS. The time is now.

• Like 2

Time for the Iraqi government and its 'pricey' trained defense force to harden the ---- up.They are a disgrace and a poor reflection on all those who died training and protecting them. facepalm.gif And sanctions against their inactions should be installed.

Hundreds of Yazidi women have been kidnapped by Sunni militants, according to an Iraqi official.
Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2014/08/09/11/50/hundreds-of-women-taken-as-slaves-in-iraq#hp0rEqA6XoYLZCpM.99

Coma,  I lived in Iraq for a number of years, and I don't think most of the people had the same sense of nationalism that we see in other countries.   Too many groups spent too much time fighting the gov't to feel much loyalty to the geo-political construct of a nation.   The divisions and alliances are by religion and tribal affiliation.   It would be a little like many of us joining the military of a foreign country (or being conscripted) and being expected to fight.   Most of us probably wouldn't have much of a stomach for the task.   

It's just my opinion.  

• Like 2

Coma,  I lived in Iraq for a number of years, and I don't think most of the people had the same sense of nationalism that we see in other countries.   Too many groups spent too much time fighting the gov't to feel much loyalty to the geo-political construct of a nation.   The divisions and alliances are by religion and tribal affiliation.   It would be a little like many of us joining the military of a foreign country (or being conscripted) and being expected to fight.   Most of us probably wouldn't have much of a stomach for the task.   

It's just my opinion.  

I totally agree. I just wish the US understood this before they went in changing the status quo. 

It's just my opinion.  

I totally agree. I just wish the US understood this before they went in changing the status quo. 

Yes, but I understand gravity and that doesn't mean I still don't fall down sometimes!

• Like 2