No Visa options for the ones who are young and have money?

youve obviously mistaken an Arts degree with a good education. the young ones I deal with are as technologically advanced as those from any other country

Not sure I know anyone studying arts.

Most people in the Western world can barely understand the concept of people making their own living online. It's just not that common even in countries where online shopping is now the norm.

Tell people you do "affiliate marketing" and 99% will have no idea what you are on about.

So it's hardly surprising people in Thailand, where there just isn't much of that sort of work going on, don't really understand the idea.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

youve obviously mistaken an Arts degree with a good education. the young ones I deal with are as technologically advanced as those from any other country

Not sure I know anyone studying arts.

Most people in the Western world can barely understand the concept of people making their own living online. It's just not that common even in countries where online shopping is now the norm.

Tell people you do "affiliate marketing" and 99% will have no idea what you are on about.

So it's hardly surprising people in Thailand, where there just isn't much of that sort of work going on, don't really understand the idea.

I doubt you know anyone that finished high school

The thread started by the OP is about "Options for the young & wealthy" foreigners to live in Thailand.

One of the options is not demeaning Thailand or Thai people.

Working online in Thailand is not really an issue if the work is based outside the country..servers outside & bank deposits in a foreign bank.................although some people will argue otherwise.

The problem is if someone is designing websites, software,an estore etc that is based in Thailand.

The argument could be western designers etc  are better than Thai but if that was the case...how else can Thai become better than education & experience..so in my view companies in Thailand should hire Thai over farang for this type of work.

The issue in the OP is how to stay & live in Thailand.

If one is really wealthy..then the elite card is an option.

If one is not so wealthy then marriage ,ed visa,teaching English are options.

by the way I am retired so I am not a young wealthy internet savvy guy.

It's all about common sense & getting the correct visa to live in Thailand if that is one's choice.

Edited by iphad
  • Like 2

... by the way I am retired and  I am an internet savvy guy. My showing up on the first page of a generic Google search to prove it.

JL's crab legs, Jacksonville, that's you?  cheesy.gif

No I said generic search -- like 'Crab Legs' without the city or name. You think it's easy to put in that kind of search and still be several times on the first Google search page?

... by the way I am retired and  I am an internet savvy guy. My showing up on the first page of a generic Google search to prove it.

JL's crab legs, Jacksonville, that's you?  cheesy.gif

No I said generic search -- like 'Crab Legs' without the city or name. You think it's easy to put in that kind of search and still be several times on the first Google search page?

you are not mentioned anywhere in the top 100 for the google query "crabs legs"

try turning google personalised search feature off

Edited by ColdSingha

My real name is Jasper Lamar Crabb but I don't know why think that has anything to do with the search I first mentioned which is related to NGO activities in the US and international.

BTW Mr. Crabb is famous in Chinatown for buying 10,000 acres of farmland a week after he died.

Edited by JLCrab

Not everyone with money has money to gamble on an Elite Card that could be stripped from them the second the good General, soon to be PM, decides it's not good for the country.

Perhaps in 6 - 12 months everyone will see where he stands on things and all cards on the table. Until then, no way am I shelling out 500k on a card that can be cancelled at any time. Not in a country like this. Kudos to those of you who have money to burn or just enjoy the risk.

The general soon to be minister might as well consider that 500,000b is too cheap to get such a convenient long term visa in his country, ... and order Thailand Elite to increase its prices to focus only on the up market.

Or he may not... Who knows ;)

Some people enjoy trouble free stays with the Elite card since a decade.
And they keep enjoying, and enjoying, and enjoying...

Some other people wait (for who knows what) before to buy the Elite card since a decade. And they keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting... while the price goes up.

Those who won't buy the card because they can't afford it, keep criticizing since a decade, and criticizing, and criticizing, ...

A decade of comfort, hesitation or bitterness (depending on which group you belong to) is a long time...

You have the money?
Join Thailand Elite now. And forget all those visa questions (and headaches for many).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The general soon to be minister might as well consider that 500,000b is too cheap to get such a convenient long term visa in his country, ... and order Thailand Elite to increase its prices to focus only on the up market.

I suspect you might be correct here.

When buying the cheaper Easy Access membership for 500k it's repeatedly pointed out in various places that the option is always there to upgrade to the full 20 year 'Individual' membership for 1.5 Million Baht +VAT and of course the 20k yearly fee.

If they increase the Easy Access 5 year membership price to lets say 750k in a year or two from now (well before any of the 5 year memberships expire) then those upgrade options will suddenly make a lot more sense than they do now.

In a carefully planned and worded document every sentence has meaning and I have a feeling this is one of those 'plan for the future' scenarios which could well encourage Easy Access holders to upgrade rather than renew.

There will be a long term plan, it's just that we don't know what it is at the moment.

^ Repeating myself but you can't work online 'legally' with the TE card (says in the terms employment is prohibited) anymore than you can or can't with a TR / ED visa (they're equally grey areas). 

It's doesn't outright solve the issue of being 'legal' for onliners (like OP), it just guarantees border officials won't ask questions.

Many TV posters who stress the importance of getting 'legal' (a framework they make up) also recommend the TE card to online freelancers which isn't really consistent. Onliners who could afford and would buy the card, would continue working, they aren't retired yet.

• Like 1

^ Repeating myself but you can't work online 'legally' with the TE card (says in the terms employment is prohibited) anymore than you can or can't with a TR / ED visa (they're equally grey areas). 

It's doesn't outright solve the issue of being 'legal' for onliners (like OP), it just guarantees border officials won't ask questions.

Many TV posters who stress the importance of getting 'legal' (a framework they make up) also recommend the TE card to online freelancers which isn't really consistent. Onliners who could afford and would buy the card, would continue working, they aren't retired yet.

You're right in a way - you can't work with only the TE membership and the visa that comes with it, you will need an additional B visa with a work permit to work in Thailand regardless of the TE membership.

TE can speed this process up for with the concierge service you but you still need to meet the usual requirements for working.

I guess one problem the TE card solves is that someone working online via a Tourist Visa will no longer have to falsely make the Declaration on the Tourist Visa Application Form that:

Signature of Applicant   _________________                                 Date _____________________________
* ATTENTION FOR TOURISTS AND TRANSIT VISA APPLICANTS ONLY : You declare that the purpose of your visit to Thailand is for pleasure only and that in no case shall you engage yourself in any profession or occupation while in the country.

Which, since making a false declaration to a Thai official can be considered a violation of Sections of The Thai Penal Code, is potentially more likely to get someone in trouble at an Immigration entry point than being flagrantly caught in the act of working online without a work permit.

you're right of course but it still might make sense for onliners who are not working but collecting the rewards of earlier work done.

writers, landlords, developers, website owners, investors or anyone collecting residual income would fall into this category and they can still go "home" to improve/work on their business for a few weeks anytime they want and come back and spend freely the rest of they year

Edited by ColdSingha