Drum Teaching In Los

Hey - I'm a well qualified drum teacher - having taught for 5 years in the States + having authored an instructional book for 6-12 year olds. I truly enjoy teaching and I'd really like to get into teaching lessons again, but don't really know how to go about contacting the various International Schools who have music programs.

First of all, I don't know what the names of the international schools are, where they are, etc, and second, I don't know who I'd need to contact order to apply for a job. Any advice? Anyone know anyone in their music department? Thanks!

(*note* I am NOT qualified to teach band class. I am a drummer afterall , not really a musician :o )

Well, teachiong for 5 years in various organizations (who would be happy to recommend me) and privately. These include a decicated music school and an international school. http://www.ethos-inc.org and http://www.oes.edu

I also wrote an instructional book for 6-12 years, on the request of a publishing company. Personally I'd much rather deal with high schoolers or older.

I would be interested in the list of International schools, but how would you recommend getting in touch with the right person?

Mate I just said experience doesn't really help and asked you for your quals...not where you used to work (recommendations won't help much either IME)....without knowing your quals it's hard....no make that almost impossible to answer.

I'd suggest e-mailing them first and finding out the name of the person you want to speak to and then contacting them directly.

Mate I just said experience doesn't really help and asked you for your quals...not where you used to work (recommendations won't help much either IME)....without knowing your quals it's hard....no make that almost impossible to answer.

I'd suggest e-mailing them first and finding out the name of the person you want to speak to and then contacting them directly.

OH - i kinda figured where I used to work was a qual. Sorry! In drumland performing and teaching aren't the same thing, and I was thinking where I've performed before didn't directly affect teaching creds. So my teaching experience doesn't help, eh? HMMM. Unfortunately, just a generic (bio) psych degree, didn't go to Berklee or nothing. No TEFL, either, but then I'm not teaching English.

I'm a bit wary of random emailing as an effective marketing strategy - I have taught in schools before and I know that interdepartmental communication typically leaves a lot to be desired. Intradepartmental communication is usually a lot better, but I still wouldn't bet on it.

Well, its more stable than performing!! Actually, it really expect to fully enjoy it. While culturally, Thais (and Asians) lack a lot of creativity, it is in some ways easier to teach than discipline. Many AQmerican students often go off on tangents and/or solo too much when they practice, minimizing the effect of practice. In addition, there is a wrote method to learning how to improvise that in effect exactly what jazz players recommend + do. The missing part is putting humanity in it, but thats only achievable by having it 'rub off' on someone, really. (although that bit is up for debate, it is my stance that the special 'spark' exists in just about everyone, but most don't know how to access it, aren't competent/confident enough to access it, but that it can indeed be taught)

So anyway, I'm really looking forward to an opportunity to teach drum lessons again. :o

Will struggle to get drumming or musical work at an Int school then (zero chance at the better ones IMO). But you should be okay for normal teaching work (EFL).

Give me a shout when you're over I used to have a mate that taught music over here and I think did some work with Grammy as well. I'll try and put you in touch with him.

I wouldn't bet on many things in Thailand mate.....it's a start though ain't it (although as per above IMO a waste of time).

All the best though.

Fortunately for you, Drummer, Khun kenkannif's opinion is dead wrong.

A good Aussie friend of mine teaches percussion and drums at 3 different "High end" international schools. Im sure he would be happy to point you in the right direction. PM me and Ill give you his contact information.

KK - if you don't know, don't guess.

Edited by jbowman1993

A good Aussie friend of mine teaches percussion and drums at 3 different "High end" international schools. Im sure he would be happy to point you in the right direction. PM me and Ill give you his contact information.

This thread has interested me. I will be relocating to Thailand with wife and kids in around 4-5 years.

Aiming to teach ELT/ESOL/EFL in Isaan, as something to keep me interested as much as income. I have taught electric guitar in UK, I have a grade 8, plus a teaching diploma from the London College of Music, plus a few degrees. I'm wondering if I could channel my 'skill' in that direction...hmmmm.

[shuffles off to relocate guitar books.... :o ]

Edited by chonabot

There are consistently a few music teaching positions listed in ajarn.com (unfortunately, being a drummer, I'm not qualified to teach music :o You actually need musicians for that... )

If being in a classroom of brats with noisemakers interests you, anyway...

I hear piano teachers are in high demand here, btw

Sorry mate not really a guess though, I thought and have been told year after year the better Int. schools wanted you to have a specific teaching qualification (he doesn't?) for them to employ you.....my sincere apologies if this is not the case.

So basically anyone with a degree can now get a job at them??? Or is this a 'special' case (an exception?)??? Please more info!

Apologies Drummer....was trying to help. I've never heard of a case like this though. Let us know how you get on, it will be interesting to hear what happens.