Ipstar Is Going Back To Metered Access

mouse

Seems that ipStar is going back to metered access in the sense that they will place a maximum on each plan for up and downloading. You may want to take a look at the link here

Seems that customers that overstep their maximum allocation will have their access throttled to 50% until the following month. Take a look at #7 of the Terms and conditions on that same page.

The good news is that existing customers will not be affected and retain the right of unlimited bandwidth. I therefore immediately upgraded to the 1048/512 package (which will take effect on 1 August) and advise anyone else that has an active account to do the same.

NO! I do not get anything for advocating this course of action.

Now I know that many critisize ipStar for a million reasons, however, for us that have no other means of access such as ADSL, Fixed Line, etc., due to our remote locations or the lack of nearby phonelines, this is actually a good deal. Consider that the people in Cambodia are paying in excess of $10,000 of having the very same service installed, so consider yourself lucky being here.

I stand ready to dispense FREE unobligated advise to anyone that wants it. Just email me at //email removed//

Edited by lopburi3

Please tell me why I would want to pay for an upgrade when the can't reliably deliver even one fourth of my present 256/128 service?????????????? BULLSHIT!!!

I was looking at the pricing the other day, and noticed the metered rates. Kind of makes it unattractive, independent of the reliability.

Given the reliability, I can't see what they stand to lose by unmetered access. Hope somebody was actually thinking on this change

This seems to be a problem everywhere, not just Thailand.

I have a 128kb/s line where I live and a cap under a "Fair Usage Policy"

which is not clearly defined.

The only thing they have clearly stated is that anyone exceeding 10Gb a month will be cut off. They consider 5Gb a fair usage....

I also read an advert for the UK. 4Mb/s, but in the small print it said, 1Gb incuded.

A little simple arthmetic shows that is 17 minutes at full speed.

What are users supposed to do for the rest of the month.

It is all a gigantic con. :o

Seems that ipStar is going back to metered access in the sense that they will place a maximum on each plan for up and downloading. You may want to take a look at the link here

Seems that customers that overstep their maximum allocation will have their access throttled to 50% until the following month. Take a look at #7 of the Terms and conditions on that same page.

The good news is that existing customers will not be affected and retain the right of unlimited bandwidth. I therefore immediately upgraded to the 1048/512 package (which will take effect on 1 August) and advise anyone else that has an active account to do the same.

NO! I do not get anything for advocating this course of action.

Now I know that many critisize ipStar for a million reasons, however, for us that have no other means of access such as ADSL, Fixed Line, etc., due to our remote locations or the lack of nearby phonelines, this is actually a good deal. Consider that the people in Cambodia are paying in excess of $10,000 of having the very same service installed, so consider yourself lucky being here.

I stand ready to dispense FREE unobligated advise to anyone that wants it. Just email me at //email removed//

50 % of 0 speed ? or do they increase outage from every 5 min to every 2.5 min?

I have had ipstar by CS-Loxinfo for over 3 years. Speed 1024/256. What a piece of sh*t. 7,000 Baht + VAT/month. (I need that bandwidth for my regular job, not only for surfing thaivisa...)

Last week I signed up for another IPstar by TOT. Speed will be 2048/1024 at a cost of 7,700 Baht + VAT/month. Will be delivered next week.

I will keep both installations for a few months, compare them, and then trash the company that doesn't perform.

I have a feeling that it's TOT/CAT that limits the bandwidth for ipStar users, and that CS-Loxinfo have no idea what they are doing.

Lets hope that the ipStar satellite itself is up and running ok, but I doubt it.

[Profanity deleted by george]

I have had ipstar by CS-Loxinfo for over 3 years. Speed 1024/256. What a piece of sh*t. 7,000 Baht + VAT/month. (I need that bandwidth for my regular job, not only for surfing thaivisa...)

Last week I signed up for another IPstar by TOT. Speed will be 2048/1024 at a cost of 7,700 Baht + VAT/month. Will be delivered next week.

I will keep both installations for a few months, compare them, and then trash the company that doesn't perform.

I have a feeling that it's TOT/CAT that limits the bandwidth for ipStar users, and that CS-Loxinfo have no idea what they are doing.

Lets hope that the ipStar satellite itself is up and running ok, but I doubt it.

[Profanity deleted by george]

George let us know what you find out!

Attention: normaly they let it run fast for a week or so and than they reduce the speed......

Definitly CSLox have no idea what they are doing....

George be sure to keep us informed. Keep in mind that the Sattellite that TOT will be using is the same Satellite and services out of CSLoxInfo. Everything will be the same to include the earth station, servers etc. except the billing and where it comes from. I am curious to see what come of this.

Got the new equipment installed yesterday afternoon. TOT IpStar 2048/1028.

It works like a charm, I get full (90%) speed when connecting to speedtest at adslthailand and I get 400-600Kbit when testing with bandwidth.thaivisa.com

No bottle necks here! It's lightning fast! Streaming video and radio works great without buffering. I am very, very happy!

Will fax my cancellation to CS-Loxinfo tomorrow morning.

According to TOT this corporate account has a 1:10 sharing.

Setup 2,000 Baht one-time fee. Monthy fee 7,700 + VAT.

I was looking at the pricing the other day, and noticed the metered rates. Kind of makes it unattractive, independent of the reliability.

Given the reliability, I can't see what they stand to lose by unmetered access. Hope somebody was actually thinking on this change

Just answering the above, but I know a little off topic.

I am in the UK and have Telewest 10MB service I download about 13GB a day!! and I have never had my service restricted. (I watch a lot of HDTV from America!)

Chris

I am in the UK and have Telewest 10MB service I download about 13GB a day!! and I have never had my service restricted. (I watch a lot of HDTV from America!)

Perhaps in another 25 years, we can see this in Thailand. For now, we're stuck with little better than dial-up speeds with a roller coaster reliabilty factor.

Chris

Just for comparison how much does that cost you each month?

It works like a charm, I get full (90%) speed when connecting to speedtest at adslthailand and I get 400-600Kbit when testing with bandwidth.thaivisa.com

No bottle necks here! It's lightning fast! Streaming video and radio works great without buffering. I am very, very happy!

George, did exactly as you about 2 months ago

I find that Mon- Fri in the morning early and at night and

Saturday/Sunday Corporate works well

Mon - Fri from about 1pm to 5pm almost stops, bandwidth readings 88kps-100 kps, sometimes just freezes, my setup is 100% signal and 10.5 es which is very good, it is definately network traffic slowing it down

have complained and complained one of the excuses is "traffic Jam" so very interested in the 1-10 ratio, like you I need for work commitment

Have major problems downloading to my computers, data corrupted on nearly every attempt, took me 2 weeks to update my virus program, I am about to reduce my service to a much lower level just to check my emails

will be interested in your later comments

See how you feel about it in 14 days. :o

Very interesting, Now I'm tempted to dump mine and go talk to TOT, please keep us informed on how it holds up if you will.

I cancelled my CSloxinfo IPSatr 1024k connection at the end of June (after 3 years) and have had Tot 1024 corporate installed.

Its been fine - I do have the problem that other people are mentioning between 1 & 5 pm but its seems thats the way it is.

I now save @ 2000 baht a month compared to CSloxinfo. ( Whom I have paid around 300 thousand baht in the last 3 years)!

CSloxinfo were IPStars major player in Thailand until May this year, ie. they sold other ISP's the IPStar bandwidth,

As was announced last year TOT were awarded the contract so now TOT control the other ISP's bandwidth (including CSLoxinfo's) CS loxinfo had a 33% reduction in bandwith last month and were negociating for an additional 6% - which they got near the end of the month, however it was too late to keep their major customers who have now said bye bye.

TOT I think have the contract for the next 3-5 years, so they will call the shots and set the prices for this period of time

Only downside is that the TOT helpline is very much in its iffancy........... but time will tell!

Very interesting, Now I'm tempted to dump mine and go talk to TOT, please keep us informed on how it holds up if you will.

• 3 weeks later...