I need to locate a more current os for my vintage macbook

daoyai

I have an old macbook running osx 10.5.8 ....skype is no longer supported by this os so I need to upgrade to a newer version, anyone know where I can get this on a disk? (Hopefully in Thailand), as my internet is untreliable for a big file.... ? thanks.

First, you should check the apple website to see what OS versions your model macbook supports. It may then be possible to order an OS DVD Install Disc from apple.

While some versions of the apple OS are available for download, others can only be legally obtained by purchasing the install product through apple or their authorized distribution network. You'll know more when you check the support website.

First, you should check the apple website to see what OS versions your model macbook supports.

This is essential. In its infinite wisdom, Apple has ensured future interest in its systems by deliberately disabling more current systems from working on older machines, and will also not permit new machines to use systems any older than the one it was shipped with.

If yours is an older MB, it's possible it's already using the most advanced system it can handle.

First, you should check the apple website to see what OS versions your model macbook supports.

This is essential. In its infinite wisdom, Apple has ensured future interest in its systems by deliberately disabling more current systems from working on older machines, and will also not permit new machines to use systems any older than the one it was shipped with.

If yours is an older MB, it's possible it's already using the most advanced system it can handle.

Thanks for the advice, I will contact apple support, I am still using the system that came with the machine in 2008... 10.5.8 , hopefully I can update to a later version but am unclear as to what the new skype requires, I hope the apple peeps can set me right. I really dont want to buy a new machine yet as this one still works well....

Does it still support skype as of last few days? I run linux and have just had to reinstall skype manually since multiple machines (fairly modern versions) just stopped working.

MS have made a newer linix version which works but they havent added it to the official update channels yet - probably similar to the OP issues.

^^^ A few days ago I logged on to skype and made a call, just after the other party answered the phone, it cut off and a window informed me that I needed to load the new version of skype to proceed, I did the download and instalation but no joy, so I contacted skype help chat where I was informed that I need an os update.

And just as well it's possible he may be able to update on www.apple.com.