New Thai PM expected in week of Aug 18

webfact

New prime minister expected in week of Aug 18
By Digital Content

14077418301013.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 11 -- Peerasak Porjit, second vice president-elect of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA), said the selection of Thailand's new prime minister would follow the assembly's approval of its meeting regulations.

He believed that the interim prime minister can be nominated later this month.

Pending the royal command appointing the NLA president and vice presidents, the assambly is still unable to officially consider an issue, Mr Peerasak said.

He expects the NLA president and vice presidents to meet on Wednesday.

Then they will convene the Assembly to approve its meeting regulations on Friday.

So the nomination of the next prime minister was likely during the week of August 18.

“The top priorities of the NLA are the selection of the prime minister to ensure national progress and the budget of Fiscal 2015,” Mr Peerasak said.

In another development, the Chart Pattana Party expressed its support for and planned participation in the National Reform Council initiated by the National Council for Peace and Council.

Chart Pattana spokesman Chalitrat Chantharubeksa said his party is ready to have its say in national reform and to nominate its representatives to the selection of national reform councilors that will begin next Monday. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-08-11

• Like 1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new PM will be a little bit of PR overseas. Better to send a civilian PM than a general to foreign countries.

First get the reforms done. Then, when populist tactics are ruled out to a large extent (rice scheme, vote buying): new elections. And then hope that there will not be a new shinaclan in charge. The missunderstood fugitive has not lost his ways yet. Perhaps he will only when in his grave.

But the best way to prevent more big scale corruption is to put away the big shots responsible for it so far. Nothing will change in this country if the high rollers will not be held accountable for their wrong doings. Reconciliation yes. Let the hoodlums be NO.

Edited by EricBerg
  • Like 2

It will be interesting to see how many of the 77 provincial representatives will be past politicians. Cuedo's to the Chart Pattana Party for getting on with the task at hand but suspect with selection open to all thai's, politicians may struggle especially given how few of them could scrub up as non corrupt and not in it for them or their families and lackeys. Probably the best chance ever for those with skills and abilities and non corrupt lawful politicial ambitions for the betterment of Thailand to get a strong foot in the door.

Edited by Roadman
  • Like 1

A new PM will be a little bit of PR overseas. Better to send a civilian PM than a general to foreign countries.

First get the reforms done. Then, when populist tactics are ruled out to a large extent (rice scheme, vote buying): new elections. And then hope that there will not be a new shinaclan in charge. The missunderstood fugitive has not lost his ways yet. Perhaps he will only when in his grave.

But the best way to prevent more big scale corruption is to put away the big shots responsible for it so far. Nothing will change in this country if the high rollers will not be held accountable for their wrong doings. Reconciliation yes. Let the hoodlums be NO.

We all know how seriously Thais in government take our ideas and suggestions.cheesy.gif

Do not worry! As soon as the entire Junta is done reading your brilliant plan of action, they will start enacting it. Really

We all know how seriously Thais in government take our ideas and suggestions.cheesy.gif

Do not worry! As soon as the entire Junta is done reading your brilliant plan of action, they will start enacting it. Really

Sarcasm is a dangerous weapon and should not be handled by unsupervised children ! thumbsup.gif

about this appointed PMuppets

its like you can win a football game, without playing it,

or win lottery wihout buying ticket,

or have 9 babies without having a wife...

only in a bonanza country

Tjeez, Ms. Yingluck is back in Thailand barely 21 hours and some already start to talk again about appointed PM muppets.

Give her a break.

And that refers to Yingluck ? I Always thought Yingluck was voted in by 300 MP's in parliament.Which in turn where voted in by the electorate, either direct or in-direct via Party list. Speaking of Party list, Yingluck was number one on that list and her party received 48% of the votes.

One would think, anyone who would be voted in as PM could only hope to have such a mandate...

• Like 2

Tjeez, Ms. Yingluck is back in Thailand barely 21 hours and some already start to talk again about appointed PM muppets.

Give her a break.

And that refers to Yingluck ? I Always thought Yingluck was voted in by 300 MP's in parliament.Which in turn where voted in by the electorate, either direct or in-direct via Party list. Speaking of Party list, Yingluck was number one on that list and her party received 48% of the votes.

One would think, anyone who would be voted in as PM could only hope to have such a mandate...

Well, since we don't have a PM currently, I assumed bender was complaining about the last one we had, the 'clone of Thaksin'. She is not a muppet and the real Ms. Piggy would surely be offended, at having a fellow female called names by mere males that is.

BTW the 'respect your vote' till it's counted and no longer needed Pheu Thai party had 43% of votes cast and 33% of the total electorate. Being Dutch you might also appreciate that even other parties had votes cast for them, like the Democrat party with 32% and 24% respectively.

Anyway, did you already look at the currently applicable interim constitution to check that the prime candidate for appointment is eligible according to that constitution?

Edited by rubl

Anyone who bases their belief in democracy purely on democratic elections (there are a lot more bricks in that great house) deserves all the scorn he gets, and then some.

Sick and tired of hearing these lame and stupid arguments about the Shin regime being "democratically elected". Voted in via lies, bribes and intimidation. And then governed most undemocratically. You are pathetic, the lot of you red/PTP groupies.

Is the unelected Suthep/Abhisit clan any better? The first is an accomplished crook who brought down in 1995 the only time in the 20th. century Democrats were elected to government. Why? While Minister of Agriculture he gave 11 rich families of his party titles of lands that were scheduled for poor landless farmers.

The as of late converted "monk", resigned to avoid being indicted for a variety of charge ranging from malfeasance to fraud and favoritism.

Fast forward to the Abhisit/Suthep "elected" by appointed assembly after the 2006 coup. Both cranked up first the rubber scam and lastly, the palm oil scam. Were they ever tried and/or investigated?

Of course that the lily white critics of the Shin clan (I wonder how much money they lost because of the Shin clan) are not sick and tired of this traditionally appointed gang after military coups?

Can anyone guess what makes the color yellow better than the red? Same same,no difference. TIT

The red version of Thai history in one post... well almost you forgot about the premeditated murder bit.

have you any idea how many land titles were given out and to how many families, no thought not.

Have you any proof that the 11 families with money had any less claim to the titles they were given than the other 478 farming families who were also given titles ?

You seem to have missed the time when the 2 Thaksin proxy parties were in power after the coup and before the parasite parties got sick of Thaksins antics and went over to the Dems allowing Abhisit to form a coalition Govt.

And the crowning glory.... Anything that isn't pro Thaksin and red must be yellow.

A great example of how hate is spread through misinformation and lies.

The fraudulent tittles given to the 11 families (known as Sor Por Kor 4-01 land scheme scandal) was the reason Monk Suthep resigned as a Minister of Agriculture in 1995. Did you miss that or you have evidence and prof that it was not so?

Unwittingly you validate my comment: there are countless examples in Thai history (not just hearsay) of gross transgressions of the law and/or ethics by both sides of the spectrum. This is Thailand, perennially in development in spite of massive foreign investment and with a superficial modern appearance. However, is a country ruled by feudal unwritten laws, favoritism, patronage and corruption. In a country with 19 constitutions It would be foolish by a Westerner to plead allegiance to any of the colours representing the political factions in Thailand. We are all guests here: without voice or vote and subjected to follow the law to the letter.

Did you miss that?

• Like 2

Give her a break.

Well, since we don't have a PM currently, I assumed bender was complaining about the last one we had, the 'clone of Thaksin'. She is not a muppet and the real Ms. Piggy would surely be offended, at having a fellow female called names by mere males that is.

BTW the 'respect your vote' till it's counted and no longer needed Pheu Thai party had 43% of votes cast and 33% of the total electorate. Being Dutch you might also appreciate that even other parties had votes cast for them, like the Democrat party with 32% and 24% respectively.

Anyway, did you already look at the currently applicable interim constitution to check that the prime candidate for appointment is eligible according to that constitution?

As far as I know they received 48% of votes casts in the party list and 44% in constituent votes. Being Dutch indeed makes me appreciate it more, as the next biggest party (the democrats) trial by quite a gap. 48% in a multiple party democracy is unheard of in our home country. Of course people that don't turn up or voted invalid, are not considered, except to calculate the turnout. So not sure why this needs mentioning, apart from trying to downside their victory with irrelevant remarks.

As to looking at the interim constitution, I already said that one isn't worth the paper it is written on, considering the very same people drafted it, without any electoral mandate.

• Like 1

As far as I know they received 48% of votes casts in the party list and 44% in constituent votes. Being Dutch indeed makes me appreciate it more, as the next biggest party (the democrats) trial by quite a gap. 48% in a multiple party democracy is unheard of in our home country. Of course people that don't turn up or voted invalid, are not considered, except to calculate the turnout. So not sure why this needs mentioning, apart from trying to downside their victory with irrelevant remarks.

As to looking at the interim constitution, I already said that one isn't worth the paper it is written on, considering the very same people drafted it, without any electoral mandate.

Indeed unheard of in the Netherlands as we have a functioning democracy where there is no need, force or money to induce people to only vote for a single party.

As for the details in percentage, I present them as there are too many who try to claim the Pheu Thai party got a majority of Thai behind them.

BTW the interim constitution is legal in this country. You may not value it, but here in Thailand it has legal value and your remarks can be construed as being somewhat impolite apart from being against the NCPO.

So, for a moment assuming you only complain about how the interim constitution got to be, do you have constructive comments on it's contents. Especially do you see any objection to Gen Prayuth being appointed PM considering the contents of the constitution?

Edited by rubl

It would come as no surprise that nothing stands in the way of Prayuth becoming PM fully in line with the interim constitution drafted by the military.

As I said earlier, the military is the law.

It is quite surprising that a Dutch citizen would not see the utter inconsistency, or more likely, is refusing to see it.

As you already stated yourself, there is no need in Thailand for people to vote for one party only, and in fact they didn't. It is however crystal clear that one party in particular seems to be quite popular amongst a large portion of the Thai population, as they have proved on all general elections starting from 2001.

Vote buying as such has little to do with it.

As to the majority of Thais voting for PT, no they didn't. However the majority of Thais who did vote (which is the only thing that counts, remember we cannot possibly know how people who didn't bother to show up, would have voted), voted by a clear majority for the five party coalition government that ran the country prior to the military staging a coup.

That coalition received a clear majority in percentage (53%) and a clear majority of seats in parliament (300) which in the great scheme of things, is the only thing that counts.

Edited by sjaak327
  • Like 2

I'm afraid that remarks like that are what causes many readers simply to 'turn off'. Why do you believe you are the fountain of all knowledge and can make throwaway remarks about red/PTP groupies as a blanket to cover anyone who might disagree with you?.

Where you are correct is that democracy - as we westerners understand it - can be imperfect. It may be Thailand is best governed by a benign ........ship. Who knows?. If so, please don't pose as a democracy, whatever the shortcomings.

I would point you to Egypt as a good template as to where things may well be going. However, that's up to the Thai's and the military to decide and I, as I suspect many others, do not know what is best for the people of this country. That's yet to be decided.What I do know is that we are still subject to martial law, censorship and other things. Because I'm concerned about this, it does not make me a 'groupie' for one side or the others. Just an observer who has concerns.

You have every right to voice your opinion on this forum but get your facts right before engaging your typing finger.

If you read somewhere in my post that I believed I was "the fountain of all knowledge" then you have a vivid imagination. And if you look up the meaning of a throwaway remark you may not use the term so freely when describing my comments.

Believe me, anything I say about "red/PTP groupies" are not throwaway remarks, I believe them wholeheartedly and put a lot of thought into them. Also I do not try to blanket cover anyone who dares to disagree with me by sh#tcanning the red/PTP fan, I just really don't like that particular group of people and have no problem saying so.

And to quote Charles Bukowski - "

"The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don't have to waste your time voting."
  • Like 1

You have every right to voice your opinion on this forum but get your facts right before engaging your typing finger.

If you read somewhere in my post that I believed I was "the fountain of all knowledge" then you have a vivid imagination. And if you look up the meaning of a throwaway remark you may not use the term so freely when describing my comments.

Believe me, anything I say about "red/PTP groupies" are not throwaway remarks, I believe them wholeheartedly and put a lot of thought into them. Also I do not try to blanket cover anyone who dares to disagree with me by sh#tcanning the red/PTP fan, I just really don't like that particular group of people and have no problem saying so.

"The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don't have to waste your time voting."

Reading your painful babble worries me, to think we come from the same set of Isles too. Just proves a good secondary modern education is wasted.

We all have a quote or two as well, "We are here to defend democracy, not practice it" - Clint.

• Like 1

I'm afraid that remarks like that are what causes many readers simply to 'turn off'. Why do you believe you are the fountain of all knowledge and can make throwaway remarks about red/PTP groupies as a blanket to cover anyone who might disagree with you?.

Where you are correct is that democracy - as we westerners understand it - can be imperfect. It may be Thailand is best governed by a benign ........ship. Who knows?. If so, please don't pose as a democracy, whatever the shortcomings.

I would point you to Egypt as a good template as to where things may well be going. However, that's up to the Thai's and the military to decide and I, as I suspect many others, do not know what is best for the people of this country. That's yet to be decided.What I do know is that we are still subject to martial law, censorship and other things. Because I'm concerned about this, it does not make me a 'groupie' for one side or the others. Just an observer who has concerns.

Charles Bukowski was a cynic who was talking <deleted>.