How long did it take to get the partner visa for Australia?

Hi Thaivisa Community I will soon be applying for a prospective marriage or partner visa for my Thai lady to live in Australia. For those who have recently been through the whole process my questions are -

Did you use a visa agent or law firm and would you recommend it?

How long did it take from application to approval stages?

Thanks all any advice much appreciated.
  • Like 1

Mate, good luck with the process, what ever route you decide ...  thumbsup.gif

As you know, my Thai Partner and I have applied for a 'Partner Visa' in Thailand.

This has not been granted yet ... we are in the 'dormant stage'

Our experience thus far was ...

Application @ VFS

Police Check done the same day ... and presumed forwarded to the Embassy/VFS with a few weeks by them

Embassy contacts my Thai Partner within a few days of receiving the application and a Medical is requested ... cost was roughly Bt 3,000 or Bt 3,500 in Bangkok.

Then now waiting.

and waiting

and waiting

Apparently, they sit on it for months.

We've been waiting all of May, June, July and this part of August ... just silence.

From what I've read on here, a fully documented (means you had everything the Embassy needed the first time) the decision will be received somewhere between 4 and 6 months from the date of the application.

The Aussie Government state up to a 12 month waiting period.

Tony, like yourself, I look forward to replies from other members to read their practical experience.

Just a couple of points to consider to further muddy the waters.

1/   An off shore partner visa application is considerably cheaper than an on shore appliaction.

2/   An on shore partner visa application takes considerably longer than off shore. (Presumably they are in no hurry to process it because she is already here)

3/   As she cannot wok until the partner visa is approved, it can be a long time between drinks i f you have to wait 9 months(fiancee) +12/18 months spouse visa.

My wife and i married in Oz on a tourist visa and then she returned to thailand to lodge spouse visa. Approved 5 weeks later. However that was 8 years ago and processing times have changed considerably.

My wife and I were also married in oz on a tourist visa back in 09 but didn't apply for a partner visa until April this year. It's now been 16 weeks and 2 days and still waiting.From what I've heard they wait approximately 16 weeks before they even look at it.Hopefully it wont be much longer

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My wife and I were also married in oz on a tourist visa back in 09 but didn't apply for a partner visa until April this year. It's now been 16 weeks and 2 days and still waiting.From what I've heard they wait approximately 16 weeks before they even look at it.Hopefully it wont be much longer

Woody ... we lodged about the same time ... we've heard nothing yet either ... don't worry yet mate.

Woody ... we lodged about the same time ... we've heard nothing yet either ... don't worry yet mate.

From what gopro has said on here it will be about 18 weeks.He applied on the 12th march and didnt get any correspondence until 17th july.18 weeks and 1 day later.Not really worried just getting a bit frustrated from all the waiting,back in oz working and missing my girls like crazy.Kicking myself we never applied years ago

Not sure if you want a Pom's take on all this but your wait times seem ridiculously long. I thought the UK embassy was bad enough! They took 3 months for my wife's spouse application which was successful. However we have to go through a number of hoops before submitting the visa :-

1. English Test
2. Financial and Accommodation requirement in UK
3. Tuberculosis test
4. Cost for visa (for 2 years 9 months) is c.B42,000 - someone mentioned about B3,500 for your visa, is that correct? After the 2 years 9 months we have to pay another c.B30,000 for another 2 1/2 years and then, after that, we have to pay yet another c.B30,000 for Indefinite Leave to Remain (if she passes Life In The UK test as well!)! So well in excess of B100 grand in total!

Do you guys also have these hoops to go through? Just wondered what your thoughts are.

Not sure if you want a Pom's take on all this but your wait times seem ridiculously long. I thought the UK embassy was bad enough! They took 3 months for my wife's spouse application which was successful. However we have to go through a number of hoops before submitting the visa :-

1. English Test
2. Financial and Accommodation requirement in UK
3. Tuberculosis test
4. Cost for visa (for 2 years 9 months) is c.B42,000 - someone mentioned about B3,500 for your visa, is that correct? After the 2 years 9 months we have to pay another c.B30,000 for another 2 1/2 years and then, after that, we have to pay yet another c.B30,000 for Indefinite Leave to Remain (if she passes Life In The UK test as well!)! So well in excess of B100 grand in total!

Do you guys also have these hoops to go through? Just wondered what your thoughts are.

$3500 australian not baht.About B 97 000.non refundable if declined

Yeah ours went in mid June, so we are waiting, waiting..... absolutely no contact or even a word to who the case officer is to send additional paperwork to... bit pathetic really.  But, whatever, we will all be united in Oz on the forums somewhere...small world...

Oz

Edited by ozsamurai

Yeah ours went in mid June, so we are waiting, waiting..... absolutely no contact or even a word to who the case officer is to send additional paperwork to... bit pathetic really.  But, whatever, we will all be united in Oz on the forums somewhere...small world...

Oz

About 2 days after we submitted our application we got an email with our case officers name and email address.Wife also got a couple of phone calls to let her know everything has been received, but that was back in April.Nothing since then.From what I understand they look at it after 4 months and call you if anything else is required . Don't know how long it takes after the 4 month wait

• Like 1

We received a 6 page Visa application summary email.Which showed mine and my wifes details, with case officer name,position number and contact details..I guess every case officer handles things differently.

I got an email over the medical, but it did not clearly state that the sender was the case officer.  Could be a receptionist for all I know.

Saithip KRUAVAL

Position Number: 60020524

Australian Embassy, Bangkok

Oz

I would guess that  she would be your case officer.

This is the same lady that was the case officer in our application for a 445 visa last year.

Our partner visa took 4months 2years ago.

Edited by nightwatch

@Tonyguy

I would recomend that you do the visa yourself,all an agent can do for u is fill out the forms and advice you on what documents will need.You will need to gather the documents yourself anyway so in my opinion this is where most of the work in completing the visa is.

All that information is on the D.I.B.P.website.

The below link may be helpful in saving a few dollars  

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/660659-paying-for-a-visa-application-in-aus-for-lodgment-in-bkk/

• Like 1

@Tonyguy

I would recomend that you do the visa yourself,all an agent can do for u is fill out the forms and advice you on what documents will need.You will need to gather the documents yourself anyway so in my opinion this is where most of the work in completing the visa is.

All that information is on the D.I.B.P.website.

The below link may be helpful in saving a few dollars  

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/660659-paying-for-a-visa-application-in-aus-for-lodgment-in-bkk/

It's a great tip there from nightwatch if you are lodging in Thailand.

I used it and saved money ... I owe him a beer ...  drunk.gif

• Like 1