US: Michael Brown shooting - Family demands justice

webfact

Michael Brown shooting: Family demands justice

ST. LOUIS: -- The family of an unarmed black teenager killed by a police officer in the US state of Missouri has called for justice for their son.

The father of Michael Brown, 18, told reporters their son was a "good boy" who "deserved none of this".

The FBI and the US justice department's civil rights division has opened an investigation into the shooting.

US Attorney General Eric Holder has said the case deserves a "fulsome review".

The justice department has also sent its community relations team to the area.

Thirty-two people were arrested on Sunday after unrest broke out in the St Louis suburb of Ferguson following Brown's death.

People looted shops, vandalised cars and stores, and set a building alight as police tried to block off access to several areas of the city.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28749373

[bbc]2014-08-12[/bbc]

The police say that he he physically assaulted a police officer and struggled over the officer's weapon and his friends say that the vpolice shot him for nothing. Someone is lying. 

Judging by the number of incidences of police brutality in the US, I think I know which story I prefer...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cases_of_police_brutality_in_the_United_States

The police say that he he physically assaulted a police officer and struggled over the officer's weapon and his friends say that the vpolice shot him for nothing. Someone is lying. 

Judging by the number of incidences of police brutality in the US, I think I know which story I prefer...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cases_of_police_brutality_in_the_United_States

Yes, judging by those numbers: 62 cases in 63 years (that's less than one per year), I think I know which story I prefer.

• Like 1

The violent crime rate for blacks in America is extremely high. I rate it 50/50. 

As is often the case, both sides could be fudging on the truth a little.  

My brother was a cop in a suburb of Memphis whir he was completing his education and before joining the FBI. I represented and got to know a whole lot of cops. Parts of St. Louis, much like parts of Memphis, are a war zone. These kids and gang bangers act like animals. My brother had to respond to a call when a 15 year old beat his teacher to death with a chair while his classmates cheered him on. Grade schools have metal detectors. Even teachers live in fear and there is no respect for any type of authority.

Don't judge cops working in these urban war zones unless you have walked in their shoes.

If he pulled his weapon and shot multiple times, there was a reason for it. He was apparently scared and put in a bad position. Don't mouth off, shove or assault a cop and nothing will happen to you. Easy for most to understand.

Common sense pretty much confirms what happened here.

I am not making a judgement, just stating an opinion.   What one person sees may be different from what another person sees.  

• Like 2

Shot " inside" the police car ??? If the police wanted to dish out some personal justice I would suggest they would be smart enough to do it elsewhere as opposed to having to clean the victim up off their back seat. This silly boy seems to have forced the police's hand here I am afraid.

• Like 1

My brother was a cop in a suburb of Memphis whir he was completing his education and before joining the FBI. I represented and got to know a whole lot of cops. Parts of St. Louis, much like parts of Memphis, are a war zone. These kids and gang bangers act like animals. My brother had to respond to a call when a 15 year old beat his teacher to death with a chair while his classmates cheered him on. Grade schools have metal detectors. Even teachers live in fear and there is no respect for any type of authority.

Don't judge cops working in these urban war zones unless you have walked in their shoes.

If he pulled his weapon and shot multiple times, there was a reason for it. He was apparently scared and put in a bad position. Don't mouth off, shove or assault a cop and nothing will happen to you. Easy for most to understand.

The writer of this article seems to think that " the reason for these things " is that it's become a systemic problem

As an NYPD assistant chief put it, “We don’t want a few bad apples or a few rogue cops damaging” the police’s good name.

This is an attractive proposal, certainly, but unfortunately it doesn’t hold up to scrutiny. Here are seven reasons why police misconduct is a systemic problem, not “a few bad apples”:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/seven-reasons-police-brutality-is-systematic-not-anecdotal/

Edited by Asiantravel

I am not making a judgement, just stating an opinion.   What one person sees may be different from what another person sees.  

Sorry. Did not mean to say you were making a judgment. More in response to those that allege police brutality right off the bat.

That choke hold in New York was disgusting and that cop needs to go to jail. Some of these shootings though, especially where cop fires multiple times in panic mode, reflect what used to cause my brother nightmares and several years of Ambien scripts to sleep at night. Rough job that wears you down.

Again, my apologies if it sounded as if I directed that toward you.

according to the family of the murdereres, they were always good boys

oh the robbing, raping, killing, drug use, all not important, he was a good boy

But isn't that kind of guilty before being proven innocent attitude?

Not good times ahead regarding race relations in USA if people think this way.sad.png

FBI probes killing of black Missouri teen
Reuters

ST LOUIS: -- THE MOTHER of a black teenager from suburban St. Louis who was shot to death by police over the weekend begged for non-violence on Monday in the wake of riots, as the FBI opened a probe into the racially charged case.

Michael Brown, 18, was shot to death in the mostly black suburb of Ferguson, Missouri on Saturday afternoon after what police said was a struggle with a gun in a police car.

A witness in the case told local media that Brown had raised his arms to police to show that he was unarmed before being killed.

"He just graduated and was on his way to college," said Brown's mother, Lesley McSpadden, speaking through tears at a news conference. She said her first-born son's first day back at school would have been Monday.

"We can't even celebrate," she said.

Brown's family has hired Benjamin Crump, the attorney who represented the family of Trayvon Martin, a black teenager who was shot to death by a community watch volunteer in 2012.

Full story: http://news.asiaone.com/news/crime/fbi-probes-killing-black-missouri-teen

[b]-- asiaone[/b] 2014-08-12

"Brown's family has hired Benjamin Crump, the attorney who represented the family of Trayvon Martin, a black teenager who was shot to death by a community watch volunteer in 2012."

Well case closed. Amazing the case last year (in Missouri) where the Australian jogger (who happened to be white) was shot down on the street by a man (who happened to be black) who had just bragged on his twitter about committing violent acts against white people and saying he would do it again. The case got no press even though it was positively clear that it was a racially based murder. Now this kid (who, given my experience with US city police, was up to no good to end up getting shot) gets all the sympathy in the world. Totally backwards from what MLK, Jr. envisioned.

• Like 1

"Brown's family has hired Benjamin Crump, the attorney who represented the family of Trayvon Martin, a black teenager who was shot to death by a community watch volunteer in 2012."

Well case closed. Amazing the case last year (in Missouri) where the Australian jogger (who happened to be white) was shot down on the street by a man (who happened to be black) who had just bragged on his twitter about committing violent acts against white people and saying he would do it again. The case got no press even though it was positively clear that it was a racially based murder. Now this kid (who, given my experience with US city police, was up to no good to end up getting shot) gets all the sympathy in the world. Totally backwards from what MLK, Jr. envisioned.

Where does it say in any news reports he was “up to no good “ ?ermm.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They are disrespectful, inconsiderate, uneducated, sneaky and very dangerous... like a pack of coyotes

Why do those people always confront the police ? alt=bah.gif>  alt=bah.gif>  alt=bah.gif> The police are also Zookeepers .

It's how they are socialized, the younger the worse they are.  Like feral animals.

1. 13% of the population causing 80.2 % of the violent crime . look to Africa for answers .guitar.gif.pagespeed.ce.Rjd-vqhNlw.gif guitar.gif.pagespeed.ce.Rjd-vqhNlw.gif guitar.gif.pagespeed.ce.Rjd-vqhNlw.gif

A terrible burden on the justice system.  

Don't mouth off, shove or assault a cop and nothing will happen to you. Easy for most to understand.

I could have sworn that I once heard of a court (Supreme Court?) decision that said something to the effect of a person's right to ".. loudly proclaim their innocence ..". If the US no longer supports that right I'm very disappointed in my homeland.

Don't mouth off, shove or assault a cop and nothing will happen to you. Easy for most to understand.

I could have sworn that I once heard of a court (Supreme Court?) decision that said something to the effect of a person's right to ".. loudly proclaim their innocence ..". If the US no longer supports that right I'm very disappointed in my homeland.

7. Try to resist the temptation to mouth off at the police, even if you have been wrongly arrested. Police have a lot of discretion in what charges are brought. They can change a misdemeanor to a felony, add charges, or even take the trouble to talk directly to the prosecutor and urge him to go hard on you. On the other hand, I have seen a client who was friendly to the police and talked sports and such on the way to the station. They gave him a break. Notice he did not talk about his case.

http://swopboston.wordpress.com/know-your-rights/getting-arrested-what-not-to-do/

7. Try to resist the temptation to mouth off at the police, even if you have been wrongly arrested. Police have a lot of discretion in what charges are brought. They can change a misdemeanor to a felony, add charges, or even take the trouble to talk directly to the prosecutor and urge him to go hard on you. On the other hand, I have seen a client who was friendly to the police and talked sports and such on the way to the station. They gave him a break. Notice he did not talk about his case.

http://swopboston.wordpress.com/know-your-rights/getting-arrested-what-not-to-do/

Um .. okay, better to believe a sex worker advice site than SCOTUS .. blink.png

There isn't a policeman in America, white, black or brown, who wants to shoot a black suspect.  They know the mau-mauing they are in for, if they do.

• Like 1

Um .. okay, better to believe a sex worker advice site than SCOTUS .. blink.png

Up to you but as it says in number one “Don’t try to convince the officer of your innocence. He does not decide your guilt and he actually doesn’t care if you are innocent or not.  “ which makes sense.

There isn't a policeman in America, white, black or brown, who wants to shoot a black suspect.  They know the mau-mauing they are in for, if they do.

Yes, even when necessary and by the book, the backlash can be a nightmare. If they shoot a white a guy, no one gives a shyte, says anything and the white guy is presumed guilty by all. Then the looting, rioting and etc. is a completely different matter. Some dude I don't know got shot so lets go steal a TV or some wheels for Christ's sake and victimize some innocent store owners and employees. Really????? Makes perfect sense to me?!?!?!?!!?!?
  • Like 2

according to the family of the murdereres, they were always good boys

oh the robbing, raping, killing, drug use, all not important, he was a good boy

The post has nothing to do with anything presented in the OP -- nothing about robbery, rape, killing, drug use by "murderers" who ostensibly used to be "good boys" is in the OP.

The thread topic is that a white cop shot and killed a black guy who didn't have a weapon on his person or in his possession.

And the facts of the whole sorry mess are far from clear or complete.

In fact, this is such an emotionally charged death and shooting incident that the FBI needs to take over the case completely and entirely. Cool headed and detached investigators need to take control and direction of this situation. 

An investigation by local police and a trial in the local venue is impossible as we already see. The local police still have not released the name of the officer who is supposed to have pulled the trigger, one reason being the officer might fear for his personal safety justifiably or not.

The facts are that the public doesn't know what's going on in the police department right now or from the moment of the shooting up to now.

Get this away from the terrain of the locals and all their grudges and prejudices to accede it to the feds. 

Edited by Publicus

Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson said he planned to release the officer's name on Tuesday but changed course after threats were called into the police department and City Hall, and posted on social media. The officer was placed on administrative leave Saturday after fatally shooting 18-year-old Michael Brown.

"If we come out and say, 'it was this officer,' then he immediately becomes a target," Jackson said. "We're taking the threats seriously."

Jackson didn't disclose specifics of the threats, but he said the decision came after a stream of death threats against the officer and other officers.

The case has stoked racial tension, protests and looting in Ferguson, a predominantly black city with roughly 21,000 residents. Despite calls for calm from Brown's family and civil rights leaders, crowds turned violent for two nights.

A large crowd that gathered throughout Monday at the site of a burned-out convenience store turned rowdy at nightfall, with people throwing rocks at police, Jackson said. Officers used tear gas and shot "beanbag rounds" meant to stun them.

http://news.msn.com/us/police-cite-threats-wont-name-cop-who-shot-teen