no money to pay overstay

I have a friend whos overstayed about 7 months. he had everything stolen and no contacts. Ive been able to get him a new passport and he can probably get a ticket out but he wont be able to pay the 20000b. Ive heard in BBK if caught you get a 4000b fine or 20 days prison, and I know in Pattaya it was half that 5 years ago. I would guess if you hand yourself in voluntarily it should be less. Does any one know how much cash he would need if he hands himself in? hopefully with the backing of his embassy.

The last poor guy I dealt with turned himself in to the police in Bangkok on my recommendation. He had no money for ticket home, and no money to pay fine.

He "worked" off his fine at a rate of 200 baht per day in the Phatum Thani regular prison and was later transferred to IDC where he waited to be deported.

He was an epileptic and had run out of his medication and took two seizures while in prison. He was seen by a Doctor and given free medication.

He spent about two weeks in IDC before the Scandinavian country where he lives paid his airfare home.

If he has no money, I expect that he now has no choice - hand himself in and throw himself at the mercy of the Thai authorities. If he has a Police report, I would suggest that he present that to Immigration, but ultimately we are talking about someone who knowingly overstayed for 7 months and now has no money - the last guy that happened to ended up living on the beach in Pattaya. If this guy really is your friend, you might want to consider a little sage advice prior to his departure.

I would add that we seem to have quite a few 'I have a friend' threads of late - not saying I dont believe you, simply wondering out loud how many of these stories would even see the light of day if Thailand hadnt initiated the crackdown. There was a lot of hot air about 'innocent people' being caught up in the crackdown - I have to wonder if there is a difference between innocence and the kind of gross naivety that your friend has displayed.

his overstay was caused by the loss of his money and passport, the crackdown makes no difference to him, it just means he cant come back for a year which he doesnt plan to in any case

• Like 1

20,000 baht is the fine. if he can't pay that immirgaiton will take him to court. The judge will normally set a lesser fine and if he can't pay that he will have to do some time in jail, at paying off the fine at 200 baht a day.

But if that happens he will also need to pay for a ticket out to his home country. Immigration will keep him in jail till he pays for the ticket himself.

"20,000 baht is the fine. if he can't pay that immigration will take him to court."

Correct. If a person can't pay the fine they need to first clear the fine by appearing in court, receive a sentence, do the time in a regular prison, and finally be transferred to IDC and await deportation. Most countries will not pay for their citizens ticket home. I was told by the poor guy later that there are people sitting in IDC (Africans) that have been there for nine years, waiting...

The OP should prioritize payment of the fine over the ticket home. I have heard the the IDC is much more pleasant than a regular Thai prison.

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 1

20,000 baht is the fine. if he can't pay that immirgaiton will take him to court. The judge will normally set a lesser fine and if he can't pay that he will have to do some time in jail, at paying off the fine at 200 baht a day.

But if that happens he will also need to pay for a ticket out to his home country. Immigration will keep him in jail till he pays for the ticket himself.

yes, just trying to get details of what the fine will be

"20,000 baht is the fine. if he can't pay that immigration will take him to court."

Correct. If a person can't pay the fine they need to first clear the fine by appearing in court, receive a sentence, do the time in a regular prison, and finally be transferred to IDC and await deportation. Most countries will not pay for their citizens ticket home. I was told by the poor guy later that there are people sitting in IDC (Africans) that have been there for nine years, waiting...

The OP should prioritize payment of the fine over the ticket home. I have heard the the IDC is much more pleasant than a regular Thai prison.

no point doing either if he cant get a ticket out, but Im pretty sure he can. Im trying to find out what his fine will be to avoid prison time. most of the long timers in IDC are there voluntarily, they are wanted for crimes in their home countries

no point doing either if he cant get a ticket out, but Im pretty sure he can. Im trying to find out what his fine will be to avoid prison time. most of the long timers in IDC are there voluntarily, they are wanted for crimes in their home countries

"most of the long timers in IDC are there voluntarily, they are wanted for crimes in their home countries"

Correct. Try to keep your friend out of that world. PM the member Mario2008 mentioned to you.

• Like 1

If he has no money, I expect that he now has no choice - hand himself in and throw himself at the mercy of the Thai authorities. If he has a Police report, I would suggest that he present that to Immigration, but ultimately we are talking about someone who knowingly overstayed for 7 months and now has no money - the last guy that happened to ended up living on the beach in Pattaya. If this guy really is your friend, you might want to consider a little sage advice prior to his departure.

I would add that we seem to have quite a few 'I have a friend' threads of late - not saying I dont believe you, simply wondering out loud how many of these stories would even see the light of day if Thailand hadnt initiated the crackdown. There was a lot of hot air about 'innocent people' being caught up in the crackdown - I have to wonder if there is a difference between innocence and the kind of gross naivety that your friend has displayed.

his overstay was caused by the loss of his money and passport, the crackdown makes no difference to him, it just means he cant come back for a year which he doesnt plan to in any case

How did he live for 7 months without money, room, food etc etc

not very well, hes not a good beggar and most people arent generous, thats why hes had a difficult time getting money to even contact his family

why dont you contact his family for him? he's your friend , right?

I have, thats why I know he can get the ticket out but I dont think they can cover the overstay, and a few days in IDC wont matter, someone can probably cover a 4000b fine but before he goes ahead need to know exactly what he needs

Edited by slygeeza

I have, thats why I know he can get the ticket out but I dont think they can cover the overstay, and a few days in IDC wont matter, someone can probably cover a 4000b fine but before he goes ahead need to know exactly what he needs

they cant afford $650 for his overstay?

• Like 1

whats your point?

• Like 1

whats your point?

I dont believe that a family that is willing to pay for his ticket home cant find an extra $650 somewhere to keep him out of jail.

• Like 1

whats your point?

If you that is his friend, and the family lend him $325 each. He have the money............

I don't belive the embassy will help him. Why don't you lend him the money? It's your friend and it's not that much money. Or get in touch with his family or friends in his home country?

actually his emabassy will, but I want to know what the fine is, thats why I asked

I have a friend in a similar situation, no money to pay the fine but he has about 16 months overstay. I told him whatever he does do not go to a border or authorities until he has the 20k, there is always a way and I am sure friends and or family can help with a mere 20k. It isn't worth going to prison paying off at 200baht a day

• Like 1

If you that is his friend, and the family lend him $325 each. He have the money............

yes, I can do the maths myself but appreciate you taking the time. I want to know what the fine is if he hands himself in?

20k and you know that

yes, I can do the maths myself but appreciate you taking the time. I want to know what the fine is if he hands himself in?

mario already told you hours ago, 20,000 baht.

20k and you know that

thats incorrect, please keep on subject and stop trying to mislead people