no money to pay overstay

all the country have the law

.why the people no respect the thai law

.go back home and work .

Amen, and next drink on me.

I have a feeling you're Thai or non-english speaker.

Why the1 Thaipeople do not respect the the law, but always blames the1 foreigner that doesn't ?

1Proper use of articles is difficult to achieve for Asians. But as Buddha says, tolerance is stronger than ignorance.

Edited by paz

If I lived here on overstay I would be well aware of what I was getting into, I would also be very aware of what is going to happen if it all goes tits up, it is not my choice to live like that but if I did I'd take it on the chin and move on, it's a bit like those that choose to live a criminal life - a few get away with it but more times than not you will be caught and end up banged up, slightly different because there are usually victims but the choice is the same -play outside the rules and if caught don't expect anyone to bail you out

This thread apart from the contribution of those that are familiar with the overstay procedures and outcomes which vary depending on a case by case basis have offered an explanation of what is likely to happen they have not offered a way of making it not happen - the buck stops with you - deal with it

I noticed a few comments about why the Thai authorities could be bothered with people breaking visa rules having fines - jail and blacklisting - can you imagine if they didn't

If I lived here on overstay I would be well aware of what I was getting into, I would also be very aware of what is going to happen if it all goes tits up, it is not my choice to live like that but if I did I'd take it on the chin and move on, it's a bit like those that choose to live a criminal life - a few get away with it but more times than not you will be caught and end up banged up, slightly different because there are usually victims but the choice is the same -play outside the rules and if caught don't expect anyone to bail you out

This thread apart from the contribution of those that are familiar with the overstay procedures and outcomes which vary depending on a case by case basis have offered an explanation of what is likely to happen they have not offered a way of making it not happen - the buck stops with you - deal with it

I noticed a few comments about why the Thai authorities could be bothered with people breaking visa rules having fines - jail and blacklisting - can you imagine if they didn't

when someone is suffering from an addiction, one rarely considers consequences and I imagine most of these overstays result from addictive behaviour of some sort.

a question if badbanker is around. how does the judge get his info? for example I guess it looks better if someone hands themselves in rather then gets caught, but how does that get passed along to the judge? can the embassy help? I went thru the system myself once and as far as i know the judge only saw the police report and I had no idea what it said because it was written in Thai, I had to sign it or they would have kept me locked up but I had no idea what it said

The judge makes his decision based on:

1. If you surrendered or were arrested

2. If you plead guilty and acknowledge the overstay

3. Do you have a past or present history of criminal activity

A single pink form is prepared by a police official in which:

1. You are identified and an address is given

2. When you arrived in Thailand and by which means

3. That you acknowledge that you are guilty of overstaying x number of days

4. Under which section of the law you are being convicted

Someone is supposed to verbally translate the contents of the form, so you understand what is being written.

The translator has to sign it before you do, to legally signify he has translated it correctly to you and you understand.

As all embassies will tell, you they have no right to interfere in the Thai judicial system unless their is a gross violation of human rights.

Embassies cannot really assist you until you are in hospital or under arrest. This is the protocol they will follow.

If you wish to plead not guilty you will be detained in jail for the requisite 48 days and then sentenced!

The largest fine I have seen is 10,000 baht for an eastern European man who was 10 years overstayed and working but caught. He paid the money and returned 2 days later. The longest overstay I have heard of was a British woman who stayed 22 years overstay. She was fined 10,000 baht and she returned to her husband 2 weeks later!

Edited by Badbanker
  • Like 1

Look, I am an overstayer. And yes I know it is my own fault, I do not argue that fact!!! But I am not bad. I am not a bum living on the streets and living off others. I pay my Thai tax, etc. I have made the mistake!!! I know that, but does that mean I deserve no compassion? I am trying everything to correct my mistakes... so does this now mean I can never return to Thailand? This will be my first offence.

How do you pay your Thai tax if you are on an overstayed tourist visa?

.go back home and work .

Why the1 Thaipeople do not respect the the law, but always blames the1 foreigner that doesn't ?

1Proper use of articles is difficult to achieve for Asians. But as Buddha says, tolerance is stronger than ignorance.

Your sentence is also missing an article. He's Asian. What's your excuse?

"I have a feeling you're Thai or *a* non-english speaker."

• Like 1

Look, I am an overstayer. And yes I know it is my own fault, I do not argue that fact!!! But I am not bad. I am not a bum living on the streets and living off others. I pay my Thai tax, etc. I have made the mistake!!! I know that, but does that mean I deserve no compassion? I am trying everything to correct my mistakes... so does this now mean I can never return to Thailand? This will be my first offence.

How do you pay your Thai tax if you are on an overstayed tourist visa?

Wasn't on tourist visa, was on B. And my agent pays my tax.

Why would you not renew a B visa (which would allow you to eventually gain permanent residency and not worry about this nonsense)?

Due to VERY bad friends, and a company that promised to take care of everything for me, which they did not! And it is my own stupidity that it has come to this nonsense. As I said before, it is my own fault, and I am correcting my mistake, but on one can tell me if I will be allowed to come back or not.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why would you not renew a B visa (which would allow you to eventually gain permanent residency and not worry about this nonsense)?

Due to VERY bad friends, and a company that promised to take care of everything for me, which they did not! And it is my own stupidity that it has come to this nonsense. As I said before, it is my own fault, and I am correcting my mistake, but on one can tell me if I will be allowed to come back or not.

IMHO, you need to make big steps towards any airport that does international flights, pay your fine and get out for a holiday. Certainly before the 29th of this month otherwise you will be making your window of opportunity a lot smaller for staying here.

Put the past behind you, get yourself cleared......................wink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

IMHO, you need to make big steps towards any airport that does international flights, pay your fine and get out for a holiday. Certainly before the 29th of this month otherwise you will be making your window of opportunity a lot smaller for staying here.

Put the past behind you, get yourself cleared......................wink.png

I am giving myself up. I am flying home before the 29th and paying my overstay at the airport. It is the right thing to do, and I am paying for the mistake that I have made.

Thanks for the advise

• Like 1

Thanks Badbanker, also where should he hand himself in? immigration, the IDC or a police station?

a question if badbanker is around. how does the judge get his info? for example I guess it looks better if someone hands themselves in rather then gets caught, but how does that get passed along to the judge? can the embassy help? I went thru the system myself once and as far as i know the judge only saw the police report and I had no idea what it said because it was written in Thai, I had to sign it or they would have kept me locked up but I had no idea what it said

Someone is supposed to verbally translate the contents of the form, so you understand what is being written.

The translator has to sign it before you do, to legally signify he has translated it correctly to you and you understand.

As all embassies will tell, you they have no right to interfere in the Thai judicial system unless their is a gross violation of human rights.

Embassies cannot really assist you until you are in hospital or under arrest. This is the protocol they will follow.

If you wish to plead not guilty you will be detained in jail for the requisite 48 days and then sentenced!

The largest fine I have seen is 10,000 baht for an eastern European man who was 10 years overstayed and working but caught. He paid the money and returned 2 days later. The longest overstay I have heard of was a British woman who stayed 22 years overstay. She was fined 10,000 baht and she returned to her husband 2 weeks later!

Thanks Badbanker, also where should he hand himself in? immigration, the IDC or a police station?

I called the immigration office yesterday about my situation, she advised me to pay at the immigration at the aiort. The lady at immigration said it would be best to pay the overstay and get on my flight.

But in this guys case, I am not sure, because he doesn't have the cash, right?

You should really tell this guy to do something before the 29th. The lady at immigration also urged me to do it before the 29th.

It depends on the length of your overstay and if you hand yourself in or are caught - or have been working illegally. If less than 90 days and no work and hand yourself it, then fine and return when you want. From the 29th after 90 days you will get a 1 year ban - and more than a year OS is 5 years ban and so on. So, do it asap - go to the airport immigration, hand yourself in and pay the fine (up to 20k) board you plane, then come back when you are ready.

.go back home and work .

Here's a link about omission of articles after "or"

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1453318&langid=14

It is not a mistake, but a writing style.

I suppose you are an English native speaker, now what's your excuse ?

Per se, a non-imm B visa does not allow one to gain anything.

Permanent Residency requirements go well beyond that.

Chill Boa.You'll be allowed to return. If there is problem, let me know. My colleague has legal practice. They will help you, if necessary. Most of us make mistakes.

Chill Boa.You'll be allowed to return. If there is problem, let me know. My colleague has legal practice. They will help you, if necessary. Most of us make mistakes.

Thank you so much for your kind reply. Most people are so extreme rude in answering. Good to hide behind a screen. Thanks

Pretty sure it's still going to be 20k.

They would give him credit (200B I think) for each day in jail. Like working it off.

That is correct. Overstayers who can't pay the fine are sent to Pathum Thani provincial province to serve one day for every B200 of unpaid fine, i.e. 100 days for the maximum B20k fine, and then they are transferred to the Immigration jail in Soi Suan Plu to await deportation. If they have no air ticket and no money to buy one, they are kept in jail until they can get someone to come up with the money for them. The British Embassy does not provide any emergency funding for Brits in this situation and I don't think many other embassies do either.

Get yourself some pen and paper when you go to Bangkok Hilton, write everything down and when they release you, you may be able to sell your book and make a fortune.

Very smart comment. It shows that you know nothing about the matter, good for you.

.go back home and work .

Most Thais got no respect for the law here and the police are not an exception. So how are they supposed to "go back home and work"?

The loophole in the law was put there by the Thai officials, NOT the foreigners - so you should direct your disdain towards your own people, more than those who jump through the loops.

.go back home and work .

Here's a link about omission of articles after "or"

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1453318&langid=14

It is not a mistake, but a writing style.

I suppose you are an English native speaker, now what's your excuse ?

That's a link to a forum, not an English style guide.