Investment visa when buying a condo or bonds?

Some online sources suggest you can get long term investment visa in Thailand if you buy a condo that cost more than 10 million baht, or investing in Thai government bonds. How true is it and what are the rules exactly?

There is the usual confusion about visa and extension of stay. The non-immigrant visa category IM " - to invest with the concurrence of the Thai Ministries and Government Departments concerned " ( http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html) is, I believe, currently not available. The extension of stay for the reason of investment, in this thread first referenced in post #2, remains available.

The non-IM visa was, as far as I know, never about buying a condo, for which reasons respondents to the OP assumed that he meant the investment extension.
  • Like 1

I have read recently that the 10 Million Baht investment visa is not currently available.

I'll try and find a source on this but it came up in another thread a week or two ago.

As Ubonjoe wrote it is not a visa but a route for an extended temporary stay in Thailand, and this alternative is indeed included in the new Police Order that takes effect on the 29th this month.

• Like 1

It is 10 million baht brought into the country invested in a condo or government bonds or in a fixed deposit account or a mixture of all of them to get a one year extension of stay (not a visa)..

and after 1 year you have to leave or buy another condo for 10 Million?

It is 10 million baht brought into the country invested in a condo or government bonds or in a fixed deposit account or a mixture of all of them to get a one year extension of stay (not a visa)..

and after 1 year you have to leave or buy another condo for 10 Million?

I think you have to ask for a new extension before expiry of current one.. same as retirees have to do.