Vinyl LP Records. Where can I sell?

ianf

For the past XX years I've had 500 or 600 Vinyl Records sitting in boxes in my house. I know there's a collectors market out there. Most of these are 60s/70s, but there is also Jazz, blues and some classics. They are all in pristine condition, most of the covers were kept in plastic sleeves to keep 'em clean. Anyone got any serious ideas of what I can do with these. I'm based in Chiang Mai. Are there any specialty outlets for these or collectors amongst the 'farang' community?

• Like 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow,

What an opportunity.

Wish I was back home ATM, I'd be around. in a flash.

Good vinyl is so hard to come across, especially analog recorded stuff......the sound from pristine analog ion a good turntable and hi-fi system CANNOT be beaten.

I am sorry, I can't be there ATM. There are a few stores around Bangkok that deal hifi gear, they'd be the guys to speak to about the vinyl.

• Like 1

I would suggest a wider audience like Ebay.

Please Shut up.

he wants to sell to me !

eBay is a terrible idea, nobody has money there anymore......

dangerous eBay, you never know what freak could turn up at your door, at least with me, he knows what freak is turning up.

500-600 pristine vinyls.....nice !

forget eBay.

Mr ND , I cannot in good conscience watch you "mug" this poor guy in public without pointing out alternatives.

There is also Craigslist, another popular sales aid.

Also, right here in the classfied section of Thaivisa.

I would suggest a wider audience like Ebay.

Please Shut up.

he wants to sell to me !

eBay is a terrible idea, nobody has money there anymore......

dangerous eBay, you never know what freak could turn up at your door, at least with me, he knows what freak is turning up.

500-600 pristine vinyls.....nice !

forget eBay.

Mr ND , I cannot in good conscience watch you "mug" this poor guy in public without pointing out alternatives.

There is also Craigslist, another popular sales aid.

Also, right here in the classfied section of Thaivisa.

Mr CharlieH,

Is this about 'the company' declining you warrant claim on your titanium TGAU, following your obvious misuse of the product ?

As I'm not sure of my return date home, I cannot mug Ian and I'm only aware of a few vinyl stores in Bkk, nothing up his way.

Perhaps you might like to do him a package deal, 5-600 pristine records could fetch as high as 300-700k baht, maybe a bit more depending on what's in the collection.

I'd love to get my hands on it, unfortunately that seems unlikely at this point in time :(

ps: Charlie, perhaps Ian needs an expert eye to run of his collection, For advice and guidance.

i have no doubt some of his albums would look great on my Linn LP12.

post-53176-0-62033700-1407845457_thumb.j

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1

Anyway I have a lot of West Coast (Jefferson etc); Grateful Dead, early Dylan etc etc etc.

Wow! I'm interested!! Maybe not in buying the whole collection, but I'd love to see what albums you have to sell - I'll pay good prices to remind me of my youth :)

• Like 1

My advice to our Ianf is this:

First do a visual estimate of the condition of each of his Vinyl Records plus rpm and note down each title including the artists of his records one by one listing them under the categories of poor, good, very good and excellent conditions, with original sleeves or without.

Then do some research online to try and estimate the value of each Vinyl Record, as of course some will be considered more collectable than others according to their conditions and the artists. List the values on the notes.

After that do a search on facebook for buy and sell groups giving preferences to those nearest your location and place an ad. You will find that there are scores of these buy and sell groups on facebook, some may even pertain to the buying and selling of Vinyl Records.

Next place an ad in the Thai visa classifieds, craigslist and any other free Thailand classified ad sites.

If any prospective buyers are interested, tell them they have to collect or meet you somewhere, money upfront and then you give them the purchase.

Or to save yourself a lot of work, just decide how much you want for the whole bundle and advertise as I have mentioned above.

i have most of the Tamala Motown records still in there original sleaves, are they worth anyhting

Unless any of us are experts on the values of old vinyl records, than it is impossible to answer your question adequately and would only be a guess. My guess is, it depends on their condition and whether there is a collectors market for them. I would say that if your collection mostly features well know artists and are in pristine condition then yes, they would be valuable. If not and they are worn, perhaps scratched, than these records are probably only jumble sale material practically worthless.

I recommend that you do similar as what I have advised the OP

I love these posts! I'm aware that there is some value there. Perhaps in the next few weeks I'll make a list of all I have. I have a nice NAIM CD system, but no deck. I agree, that Analog sounds so much better ....... but with my hearing .....????? Anyway I have a lot of West Coast (Jefferson etc); Grateful Dead, early Dylan etc etc etc.

Anyway: Thanks for the advice: I started with Ebay but that seemed hopeless. Craiglist is full of scammers.

Ian,

What ever you do, don't sell at a whim & always remember it's possible that what you are sitting on could actually be slowly appreciating in value.

get urself a linn, a tiny pre & power amp, find a quiet room in the house and drop a few lp's onto it......even with crap hearing you will be moved by the pure form of hi-fi & the only thing missing will be my little fingers pawing thru ur collection.

talk about an opportunity missed, I could barely sleep last night. ?

Anyway I have a lot of West Coast (Jefferson etc); Grateful Dead, early Dylan etc etc etc.

Wow! I'm interested!! Maybe not in buying the whole collection, but I'd love to see what albums you have to sell - I'll pay good prices to remind me of my youth :)

Rack off..... your too busy for this, back to work :P

Mr ND, may I respectfully remind you of your companies statement and product sales literature ensuring the descretion and privacy of purchasers ! You have now made my purchase public knowledge and in direct infringement of ALL your companies guarantees and assurances.

I will now consult Messrs Roland,Gurbel & Rodant my legal advisors on this.

Ohhh no, not Messrs Roland, Gurbel & Rodant, the legal firm in which that I am a senior yet silent partner of.....this is going to get very expensive for you. ??????

Your money would be much better spent on buying some of Ian's vinyl. ;)

• Like 2

Mr ND, may I respectfully remind you of your companies statement and product sales literature ensuring the descretion and privacy of purchasers ! You have now made my purchase public knowledge and in direct infringement of ALL your companies guarantees and assurances.

Ohhh no, not Messrs Roland, Gurbel & Rodant, the legal firm in which that I am a senior yet silent partner of.....this is going to get very expensive for you. ??????

Your money would be much better spent on buying some of Ian's vinyl. wink.png

I believe that 'Private Eye' often deals with a similar UK legal-company, called 'Sue, Grabbit & Runne' ?

Do you think they might be related ? rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Lol, they are the best legal firm around.

There is a good Thai audiophile community, primarily in Bangkok. Give the people at sacthailand.com a mail and they might be able to help you. The audiophile forums I've seen here are all in Thai although posting in English should illicit a response as your vinyl portfolio should attract a lot of interest. Vinyl is the best form of listening but I've become lazy in my old age and everything is now on computer disk in flac but I will not sell my vinyl collection. Dead easy to bring music over to Thailand on computer drives.

If other methods to sell fails, you can always purchase 500 yellow rubber ducks and glue the ducks to the middle of the vinyls.

Then simply sell them as Art Deco swimming pool warmers to the wealthy, but bored home keepers.