Reporting of REAL visa problems experienced by TV members?

Perhaps the real problem so far is the lack of clarity plus fear of incorrect denial by ill informed and Ill intentioned immigration officers is causing people to delay or cancel their trips. As I keep saying, although the guidelines say the rule is only for " out in"'s who leave and return immediately, people who visit several times a year for just a few weeks each time, on visa exempt stamps, which is perfectly proper and legal, are worried they may be unfairly treated.

Many of these people will have waited, hoping to learn from stories on websites to tell them how in reality the rules were being applied. But if enough are waiting for news then there won't be any news.

I don't know how many people have decided to delay pending further clarity, but i know the answer is a minimum of one, me. Yes, I know I could go to the embassy and get a tourist visa, just in case, but I shouldn't need one. If the genuine issue is paranoia that people are working illegally then why wouldn't illegal workers just do that anyway? Plus I don't want to waste a whole page of my passport and I don't want to waste a whole day getting down to the embassy, waiting in queues, waiting around for hours.

What is wrong with Thailand, why are they so singularly hostile and backward and illogical? Even Cambodia, a country I have not so far been to but is economically very undeveloped, has an e-visa program where you apply for a tourist visa online, obtain an e-visa, no stamp, no time wasted on a trip to the embassy. If Cambodia can do that the what exactly is the problem with Thailand? I know many foreigners have a love hate relationship with Thailand but the hate for many must now be gaining the upper hand.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

What is wrong with Thailand, why are they so singularly hostile and backward and illogical?

I have wondered about the same thing myself. In most cases overstay is due to temporarily money problems. You get seriously ill and almost all your money goes to hospital bills. Your medical insurance does not cover your illness or only up to a certain limit. First, he is on retirement visa but then he dives under the 800 000 limit. He is too sick to go out. He is in a Red Queen's race.

You get only limited number of medical visa extensions.Then he recovers, works/sells/borrows/begs hard to pay all his bill and now he has 1-2 year overstay. He goes out of the country and tries to come back...denied. There is no logic, Thailand is basically refusing to accept more money.

Edited by Timwin

What is wrong with Thailand, why are they so singularly hostile and backward and illogical?

I have wondered about the same thing myself. In most cases overstay is due to temporarily money problems. You get seriously ill and almost all your money goes to hospital bills. Your medical insurance does not cover your illness or only up to a certain limit. First, he is on retirement visa but then he dives under the 800 000 limit. He is too sick to go out. He is in a Red Queen's race.

You get only limited number of medical visa extensions.Then he recovers, works/sells/borrows/begs hard to pay all his bill and now he has 1-2 year overstay. He goes out of the country and tries to come back...denied. There is no logic, Thailand is basically refusing to accept more money.

Most? do you have the latest statistics on that?

I have nothing todo all day but worry about the immigration problems of people I do not know and will never meet. NOT. Lock this thread we have enough post from people with real problems how about post with real solutions

I have nothing todo all day but worry about the immigration problems of people I do not know and will never meet. NOT. Lock this thread we have enough post from people with real problems how about post with real solutions

ok,

real solution #1: get the correct visa

next..?

• Like 2

Are there in fact any problems at all?

The government has brought in a raft of measures aimed at loosely specified groups foreigners. But who are these foreigners and how many are there and what is the exact problem here? Is there a problem at all?

We have all seen the visa run adverts in places like Bkk and Pattaya so people must be using them....but how many?

Was the government addressing a REAL or perceived problem?

Are they actually enforcing these measures?

Does the immigration staff understand them and are they being consistently enforced at all borders?

The thing about all these measures is they don’t seem to be backed up by any reliable figures stats or any other kind of evidence.

Do these “long term visitors” actually present a threat or problem to Thailand?

Was there ever actually a problem? What does the government hope to achieve?

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

ok,

next..?

​Originally,they specially included tourist visas in the back-to-back clampdown.....so the "correct visa" may not actually exist any more. There is of course also  no real definition of "visa run/back-to-back/ tourist etc etc.....

• Like 1

ok,

next..?

​Originally,they specially included tourist visas in the back-to-back clampdown.....so the "correct visa" may not actually exist any more. There is of course also  no real definition of "visa run/back-to-back/ tourist etc etc.....

that's the crux, the definitions haven't been defined. the reason why, i'd imagine, is in defining the rules they'd also define the loopholes

I went thru Immi at Phuket during the last few days... On exit, on Monday night, I asked the officer to have a good look thru my pp.  It has a stack of visa exemptions, plus 4 TVs. I asked him would I have any problems returning on either a TV or VE... He took his time, looked through the PP and said I was welcome back any time, based on my history of travel. He said, they will not be allowing people to exit/return on the same day looking for a VE.  He made it pretty clear that the enforcement, would apply to VEs.

He was pretty clear in his understanding of what will happen... as am I...  I really don't see why there is confusion.  Ask the right questions, and usually you will get an answer.

I honestly believe if you want to stay in Thailand for more than 180 days in any 12 months you will not be able to do it with Tourist Visa or visa exempt entry - that is my opinion only

If you are under 50 then Elite card is the only option or perhaps an ED Visa but the latter is part of the clampdown

or

Over 50 get an extension based on retirement 

or

If Married or have children here get an extension

​Originally,they specially included tourist visas in the back-to-back clampdown.....so the "correct visa" may not actually exist any more. There is of course also  no real definition of "visa run/back-to-back/ tourist etc etc....

I don't recall anything official that said it included tourist visas.

There were a few newa stories where it was evident they were mixing up tourist visa and exempt entries.

I think that is still part of the problem because people still call visa exempt entries tourist visas which of of course is not correct.

I honestly believe if you want to stay in Thailand for more than 180 days in any 12 months you will not be able to do it with Tourist Visa or visa exempt entry - that is my opinion only

If you are under 50 then Elite card is the only option or perhaps an ED Visa but the latter is part of the clampdown

or

Over 50 get an extension based on retirement 

or

If Married or have children here get an extension

So you think they want to shut down tourists completely. They are not going to put a limit on the number of days you spent here in a year for that reason. There are lot people that are legitimate tourists that spend more than 180 days in a year here.

They have stated they don't a problem with people staying here long term as long as they are not working here illegally. There are a lot of people that may have problems because they may be asked for proof of that..

Perhaps the real problem so far is the lack of clarity plus fear of incorrect denial by ill informed and Ill intentioned immigration officers is causing people to delay or cancel their trips. As I keep saying, although the guidelines say the rule is only for " out in"'s who leave and return immediately, people who visit several times a year for just a few weeks each time, on visa exempt stamps, which is perfectly proper and legal, are worried they may be unfairly treated.

Many of these people will have waited, hoping to learn from stories on websites to tell them how in reality the rules were being applied. But if enough are waiting for news then there won't be any news.

I don't know how many people have decided to delay pending further clarity, but i know the answer is a minimum of one, me. Yes, I know I could go to the embassy and get a tourist visa, just in case, but I shouldn't need one. If the genuine issue is paranoia that people are working illegally then why wouldn't illegal workers just do that anyway? Plus I don't want to waste a whole page of my passport and I don't want to waste a whole day getting down to the embassy, waiting in queues, waiting around for hours.

What is wrong with Thailand, why are they so singularly hostile and backward and illogical? Even Cambodia, a country I have not so far been to but is economically very undeveloped, has an e-visa program where you apply for a tourist visa online, obtain an e-visa, no stamp, no time wasted on a trip to the embassy. If Cambodia can do that the what exactly is the problem with Thailand? I know many foreigners have a love hate relationship with Thailand but the hate for many must now be gaining the upper hand.

what I find illogical is that someone would sit home and postpone their trip rather than go thru the miniscule problems associated with getting a tourist visa because "they shouldnt HAVE TO"????

Nothing minuscule about it, it's a whole day of inconvenience, and I'm not sitting at home although I do have a very nice home to sit in...so it's not that illogical at all really, is it?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

No way most of the people that overstayed did it because they got seriously ill and and all their money went to hospital bills. There are tens of thousend people that overstay every year.

​Originally,they specially included tourist visas in the back-to-back clampdown.....so the "correct visa" may not actually exist any more. There is of course also  no real definition of "visa run/back-to-back/ tourist etc etc....

There were a few newa stories where it was evident they were mixing up tourist visa and exempt entries.

I think that is still part of the problem because people still call visa exempt entries tourist visas which of of course is not correct.

UBONJOE, you are so correct.  One of the biggest problems on TV is that many of the members who post use the wrong terminology and all this does is add to or create confusion.  

Edited by ThaiRich

whistling.gif O.K. here's what could have been a REAL visa problem.

But fortunately I caught it before it became a problem.

I was returning for a trip to the U.S.

I have a retirement visa and purchased a reentry permit before I left.

It was a 26 hour flight with two layovers from the U.S. to Bangkok.

I was bone tired, and barely awake.

I saw the immigration officer reaching or her visa exempt 30 day entry stamp like the person before me had been given and I luckily woke up enough to stop her.

I took my passport and managed to find the reentry permit page. She pointed to my arrival form and I realized I had forgotten to put my reentry permit number there.

My error, then , because I was bone tired at the time.

That's a visa problem that was only one passport stamp from Happening, but it didn't happen.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

I went thru Immi at Phuket during the last few days... On exit, on Monday night, I asked the officer to have a good look thru my pp.  It has a stack of visa exemptions, plus 4 TVs. I asked him would I have any problems returning on either a TV or VE... He took his time, looked through the PP and said I was welcome back any time, based on my history of travel. He said, they will not be allowing people to exit/return on the same day looking for a VE.  He made it pretty clear that the enforcement, would apply to VEs.

He was pretty clear in his understanding of what will happen... as am I...  I really don't see why there is confusion.  Ask the right questions, and usually you will get an answer.

now all we have to do is ask the other thousands of immigration officers for their opinion?

I know there was confusion and it was a statement by an immigration official......which of course means they could be wrong too.........if I get the time I'll look up the reference.

of course the simple answer would be that atone using "back-to-back" tourist visas for a period of time is likely to be deemed "not a tourist" and therefore on the wrong side of current government policy.

quote from George - "BANGKOK: -- As thousands of long-term expats fear for the future amid a crackdown on the improper use of visas and exemptions, it could be local language schools that end up suffering most"

Edited by wilcopops

now all we have to do is ask the other thousands of immigration officers for their opinion?

Nope, just use your brains.....  I reckon...

Instead of picking, just take the info for what it was... My experience.

I cannot make allowances for the various levels of obtuseness on this forum...  But to me, it has ALWAYS been obvious what they were getting at.... No need to worry people unnecessarily...  Don't do in/outs on VE's and you will be fine, is what I have been able to glean from what they have been saying (Immigration, not TV exspurts).. It was there for all to see

I asked the Immi guy, pretty well knowing what the answer would be...  just for my piece of mind.

Take what he said as good or not....  up2u  *shrug*

Edited by winnerinsix

Nope, just use your brains.....  I reckon...

Instead of picking, just take the info for what it was... My experience.

I cannot make allowances for the various levels of obtuseness on this forum...  But to me, it has ALWAYS been obvious what they were getting at.... No need to worry people unnecessarily...  Don't do in/outs on VE's and you will be fine, is what I have been able to glean from what they have been saying (Immigration, not TV exspurts).. It was there for all to see

I asked the Immi guy, pretty well knowing what the answer would be...  just for my piece of mind.

Take what he said as good or not....  up2u  *shrug*

you experience is just what we need to compile a bigger picture, but individually it is wide open to interpretation.

If we get a lot more of the same then we can conclude that the change is minimal......or that in reality it affects a minimal number of people.