US actress Lauren Bacall 'dies at 89'

webfact

US actress Lauren Bacall 'dies at 89'

(BBC) American actress Lauren Bacall has died at the age of 89, according to reports.

Her Hollywood career spanned seven decades, with a memorable debut aged 19 opposite her future husband, Humphrey Bogart, in To Have and Have Not.

More than 50 years later, The Mirror Has Two Faces earned her a Golden Globe Award and an Academy Award nomination.

Born in Brooklyn, New York, in in 1924, she went on to become one of cinema's biggest stars, best known for her husky voice and sultry beauty.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28767401

[bbc]2014-08-13[/bbc]

Hollywood icon Lauren Bacall dead at 89: TMZ

LOS ANGELES - Legendary American actress Lauren Bacall, who hypnotized the world from the moment she burst onto the silver screen in the 1940s, died Tuesday at the age of 89, TMZ said.

"A family member tells us Bacall had a massive stroke Tuesday morning at her home," the website reported.
AFP

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Hollywood-icon-Lauren-Bacall-dead-at-89-TMZ-30240815.html

[thenation]2014-08-13[/thenation]

I grew up with Robin Williams and was much too young to be a fan of Lauren Bacall during her prime. However, I consider her to be a much more important figure and her death is not getting a lot of coverage in comparison. The world really does seem upside down sometimes. 

RIP to one of the all time greats!

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Famed actress Lauren Bacall dies at 89
By Dana Ford, CNN

(CNN) -- Actress Lauren Bacall, the husky-voiced Hollywood icon known for her sultry sensuality, died Tuesday. She was 89.

Robbert de Klerk, co-managing partner of the Humphrey Bogart Estate, said Bacall died in New York.

Bacall shot to international fame in 1944 with her first film, "To Have and Have Not," which she made with future husband Humphrey Bogart.

They married in 1945, had two children and went on to make four more films together, including "The Big Sleep" (1946), "Dark Passage" (1947) and "Key Largo" (1948). Bogart died in 1957.

"He was an extraordinary, extraordinary man. I mean, I've been extremely lucky. God, I have no complaints at all," Bacall said of her late husband during a 2005 interview with CNN's Larry King.

Full story: http://us.cnn.com/2014/08/12/showbiz/lauren-bacall-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

[cnnews]2014-08-13[/cnnews]

She was a little before my time, but what I've seen of her in movies, she was an intriguing actress.  

RIP

I agree Scott...a bit before my time too...however any movies with Humphrey Bogart

in them will always be favourites of mine and if the movie has "Bogart & Bacall" it will

be at the top of my must watch today list. I have no idea why but I just downloaded

Key Largo on Sunday.....hmmmmm...perhaps to watch later? Or maybe it was because

of these...

[attachment=278942:lauren bacall_624getty.jpg]

And her voice.

RIP Ms Bacall...RIP...Bogie has been waiting for you...

[attachment=278943:Bogie-and-Bacall02.jpg]

[attachment=278944:Bogie-and-Bacall01.jpg]

I was born two years before "Gone With the Wind" so I did, in fact, grow up watching the golden oldies at the 10 Cent movie houses.

Hollywood was different in those days and for many years after.  It started turning left when the WW2 crowd began their slide into retirement and turned into the cesspool it has now become.

Lauren Bacall was one of the best and my favorite memory of her was her last starring role in "The Shootist".

Her style has been missed.  RIP

Here's looking at you kid.

(I know - Bergman, but it just seems appropriate)

I have never understood why Casablanca is rated as one of the best of the best of all time...

anyone else in the same boat as me?

Edited by Smurkster

I grew up with Robin Williams and was much too young to be a fan of Lauren Bacall during her prime. However, I consider her to be a much more important figure and her death is not getting a lot of coverage in comparison. The world really does seem upside down sometimes. 

RIP to one of the all time greats!

I remember/enjoyed  Mork & Mindy (and little else he did after that), and I realize Robin Williams generated something like $5 billion in box office receipts, but the likes of Lauren Bacall, Joanne Woodward, Myrna Loy, Claudette Colbert and others of that ilk & era evoke far more pleasant memories for me.

Edited by Suradit69

I have never understood why Casablanca is rated as one of the best of the best of all time...

I have seen it in a movie theater 6 times.  Much more powerful than on the small screen.  The cast is a list of everyone who was anyone at the time.  Great cast, great lines, great songs, As time goes by and La Marseillaise the French national anthem.  Timing it nailed it.  It's the expats movie of choice. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa8d-jwFwds

I've got Casablanca on disk, thought I had To Have and Have Not along with Key Largo but I can't find those 2. While not a Bacall/Bogart movie, Casablanca has got to be one of the best of all times. I just watched it again a couple of weeks ago.

I've got Casablanca on disk, thought I had To Have and Have Not along with Key Largo but I can't find those 2. While not a Bacall/Bogart movie, Casablanca has got to be one of the best of all times. I just watched it again a couple of weeks ago.

Packaged with the ultimate edition of Casablanca is, "Bacall on Bogey" 

Lauren Bacall: For myself, I can only say that he changed me. He was my teacher my husband, my friend. In his life and his work, Bogey was integrity, truth, and courage. He taught me how to live. That it was okay to trust. He taught me to keep going no matter what.

Lauren Bacall: I never stopped shaking. I was very nervous. He was very patient. He did everything to make me comfortable. I was very lucky to start my career with him. You see, Bogey was, above all else, a professional. He'd had years on the stage and over fifty films.

Sure is lucky no one told her that Bogart was too old for her and they'd have nothing in common.biggrin.png

Edited by thailiketoo

I was born two years before "Gone With the Wind" so I did, in fact, grow up watching the golden oldies at the 10 Cent movie houses.

Hollywood was different in those days and for many years after.  It started turning left when the WW2 crowd began their slide into retirement and turned into the cesspool it has now become.

Lauren Bacall was one of the best and my favorite memory of her was her last starring role in "The Shootist".

Her style has been missed.  RIP

Totally agree.

Lauren Bacall was one of the old school of classic Hollywood actresses.

She was the daughter of Polish Jewish immigrants to New York City and started out as a cinema usherette.

The great classic gangster movies of the 1930s and 1940s and the renowned partnership of Bogart and Bacall in films such as Key Largo and The Big Sleep were made before I was born, but were repeated and still regarded as classics for decades afterwards and I have seen all these movies, not ashamed to say countless times over the years.

Lauren Bacall is an icon of the silver screen, probably the last of the great Hollywood actresses from that era and for me, she is another link to the past gone.

Yes, I agree, RIP Lauren Bacall an icon from an era that can never be replaced.

• Like 1

The best bad movie ever made, Casablanca.

Best Picture Oscar 1944.

Great to watch from time to time. 

Bacall was great in her movies too, a continuing riot in Sex and the Single Girl. 

Here is one for the "Hollywood turned left" crowd. Hollywood has never been left. Reagan a prime example, a snitch that ratted out fellow actors because he thought they were, might be, could be commies. Hollywood still isn't left, but thankfully some actors/actresses are. Both Bacall and Bogart were, gasp, liberals. Read this one and weep right wingers. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/13/lauren-bacall-was-deeply-liberal-and-deeply-anti-communist.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=cheatsheet_afternoon&cid=newsletter%3Bemail%3Bcheatsheet_afternoon&utm_term=Cheat%20Sheet

Here is one for the "Hollywood turned left" crowd. Hollywood has never been left. Reagan a prime example, a snitch that ratted out fellow actors because he thought they were, might be, could be commies. Hollywood still isn't left, but thankfully some actors/actresses are. Both Bacall and Bogart were, gasp, liberals. Read this one and weep right wingers. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/13/lauren-bacall-was-deeply-liberal-and-deeply-anti-communist.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=cheatsheet_afternoon&cid=newsletter%3Bemail%3Bcheatsheet_afternoon&utm_term=Cheat%20Sheet

I'm not weeping, I'm laughing at your comment that "Hollywood has never been left".

Your own article states Bacall and Bogart were both liberals.  Not to even mention Hanoi Jane Fonda

Left = liberals

• Like 1