Heroin-toting suspects escape Taiwan's customs officers

webfact

Heroin-toting suspects escape Taiwan's customs officers
Lauly Li

TAIPEI - Two suspects that allegedly carried bricks of heroin into Taiwan escaped from customs inspection custody upon arrival at the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport on the night of Aug. 10, the Aviation Police Bureau (APB) said yesterday.

The APB said the suspects, a man and a woman, took a flight from Bangkok to Taipei on Aug. 10. The pair's suitcases were tagged by the airport's automatic baggage security inspection upon arrival, the bureau said, explaining that the customs officers were due to open and inspect the pair's tagged baggage.

The female suspect, surnamed Chen, put her suitcase on a desk and said that she needed to exchange money and then left the inspection area. The other suspect surnamed Liao was talking on a phone while the customs officers were inspecting someone else's baggage. Liao later told the customs officers that he needed to go to a lavatory and left the area.

It wasn't until the customs officers opened the pair's suitcases and found bricks of heroin inside they realised that the suspects had escaped, according to reports. The APB said the two suspects allegedly hid 8,855 grams heroin in instant noodles packages.

The APB said that as there were seven or eight flights arriving at the same time, customs was very busy inspecting passengers' suitcases.

Full story: http://news.asiaone.com/news/crime/heroin-toting-suspects-escape-taiwans-customs-officers

[b]-- asiaone[/b] 2014-08-13

...judging from recent posts regarding this substance...it would seem that Thailand has become 'a hub'....of other sorts....

Thailand has always been a hub of opium production, which is the precursor to heroin and morphine. It's part of the golden triangle. From the golden triangle comes the high grade, white heroin, often seen on the East Coast of the US.   West coast junkies, on the other hand, must make do with the much lower quality Mexican brown tar heroin. 

I was of the distinct impression that it was now Afghanistan that was one of the largest producers of opium.  

Where it is processed, I am not sure, but the surnames appear to be Chinese, so they may just blend in well in Taiwan, although the person to whom they were to make the deliveries may not be too happy to render assistance to his colleagues.  

Those suspects are lucky they got away, it would have been the death sentence for them. Taiwan does not take drugs lightly. I've been there a couple of times, they have sniffer dogs at the luggage pick up area pretty often. That is around $1.7 million in street value of right there, big boss won't be happy.

Odd, I think, that both suspects were excused to leave the area. I think it is standard (and strict) procedure to remain with your luggage as soon as it has been detained for inspection. Actually, you are supposed to remain with your luggage at all times anyway.

Very sloppy work, or good collusion, on the part of at least one Customs official.