Imprisoned yellowshirt founder Sondhi 'not enjoying any privileges'

webfact

Is this the same Sondhi that was the target of a failed assassination attempt a few years ago?

The strange thing about that, besides he was the only survivor with minor injuries, that the CCTV system did not work that day. 

I wonder or the CCTV will work this time ...

So he's been convicted and there's no bail. Shouldn't he be in chains, hands and feet manacled like less financially fortunate villains? Looks like he is already enjoying the privilege of avoiding that particular loss of human dignity.

I think they stopped doing chains some time ago

So he's been convicted and there's no bail. Shouldn't he be in chains, hands and feet manacled like less financially fortunate villains? Looks like he is already enjoying the privilege of avoiding that particular loss of human dignity.

You clearly know bugger-all about conditions in Thai prisons.

• Like 1

20 years for falsifying a memo? bit harsh isn't it? I would have taken all his money and worldly possessions

of him and strip him naked to his last penny and on a good behavior bond, after all, he's not a drug

dealer, murderer or a mafia figure... 20 years jail... a bit much..

The charge was a little more serious than you are trying to make it out to be...

"Mr. Sondhi and two other executives of Manager Media Group, of which Mr. Sondhi is a founder, were deemed guilty by the Court of Appeals on 7 August for falsifying an internal memo that allowed the company to guarantee a 1.078 billion baht loan from Krung Thai Bank to the The M Group, a company that Mr. Sondhi held shares in.

The company later defaulted on its loan, forcing Manager Media Group to pay back the debt. The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) also accused Mr. Sondhi of hiding the loan guarantee from the financial statement the company filed to the stock market."

I think that he should be out on bail agin in the next week or two. Justice has to appear to be served until it quiets down.

I suspect that there may be a medical complication that requires frequent trips to a first class hospital etc. etc. etc.

20 years for falsifying a memo? bit harsh isn't it? I would have taken all his money and worldly possessions

of him and strip him naked to his last penny and on a good behavior bond, after all, he's not a drug

The charge was a little more serious than you are trying to make it out to be...

"Mr. Sondhi and two other executives of Manager Media Group, of which Mr. Sondhi is a founder, were deemed guilty by the Court of Appeals on 7 August for falsifying an internal memo that allowed the company to guarantee a 1.078 billion baht loan from Krung Thai Bank to the The M Group, a company that Mr. Sondhi held shares in.

The company later defaulted on its loan, forcing Manager Media Group to pay back the debt. The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) also accused Mr. Sondhi of hiding the loan guarantee from the financial statement the company filed to the stock market."

Falsifying a memo doesn't sound like much - but shows the intent to break the law and commit fraud. And, we are talking about over a billion baht!

Many countries now regard "white collar" crime very seriously and punish it accordingly. Corrupt businessmen, politicians and bankers are prepared to bend the rules and/or lie and commit fraud for personal gain - regardless of the impact and consequences on others.

Too few get prosecuted, convicted and punished as it is - throughout the world. Well done Thailand - now let's see a few more tried.

Is this the same Sondhi that was the target of a failed assassination attempt a few years ago?

The strange thing about that, besides he was the only survivor with minor injuries, that the CCTV system did not work that day. 

From what I remember he suffered five gunshot wounds after being shielded by his bodyguards & was close to death.

Only with the aid of his most sacred amulet, was he able to pull through.

Manager Media Group was publicly listed. Since its board was unaware of the THB 1billion guarantee, the guarantee wasn't disclosed to the market in their financial statements.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I think the red brigade are loving this although it has nothing what so ever to do with his political leanings, but then that's typical red bias for you.

What a strange contradictory statement. You "think" the red brigade are loving this and then say "but then that typical red bias for you". So you "think" this is red bias based on the fact that you "think" the red brigade loving it? Do you ever think about normal things or do you ever make assumptions based on fact or just what you "think"? I think your full of it....

• Like 1

I think the red brigade are loving this although it has nothing what so ever to do with his political leanings, but then that's typical red bias for you.

What a strange contradictory statement. You "think" the red brigade are loving this and then say "but then that typical red bias for you". So you "think" this is red bias based on the fact that you "think" the red brigade loving it? Do you ever think about normal things or do you ever make assumptions based on fact or just what you "think"? I think your full of it....

Actually Artisi's statement was straightforward and not contradictory. Yours is full of psycobabble.

These statements from this thread rather confirm what Artisi said:

But but but, anyone that reads ThaiVisa forums ought to know by now that the Yellowshirts are pristine angelic beings, incapable of wrongdoing. heh

So he's been convicted and there's no bail. Shouldn't he be in chains, hands and feet manacled like less financially fortunate villains?

Oh? Many of those who share his political views have been doing the same thing for decades, with impunity. Maybe he is the sacrificial lamb ( or pig).
  • Like 1

Actually Artisi's statement was straightforward and not contradictory. Yours is full of psycobabble.

But but but, anyone that reads ThaiVisa forums ought to know by now that the Yellowshirts are pristine angelic beings, incapable of wrongdoing. heh

So he's been convicted and there's no bail. Shouldn't he be in chains, hands and feet manacled like less financially fortunate villains?

Oh? Many of those who share his political views have been doing the same thing for decades, with impunity. Maybe he is the sacrificial lamb ( or pig).

Fully agreed.

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

From what I remember he suffered five gunshot wounds after being shielded by his bodyguards & was close to death.

The amulet gave him a scratch on the forehead or was it a piece of the windshield? ... no direct wounds from shots anyway.

Edited by Jack Mountain

Who knows... but he is in jail and one could argue he is a man of wealth and power and was on the side of the coup makers. So it seems there is not much bias. I don't see many important reds in jail (yet). 

Do i think its deserved... YES the guy was corrupt and forged documents. I don't care that he was on my side.. if they can get Suthep or anyone.. go for it. Go for corrupt ones on ANY side and hope they turn on each other and spill secrets and get more of them in jail. 

What are you trying to do get them disbanded for life and a whole bunch more charges against PTP members.cheesy.gif

Fully agreed.

thumbsup.gif

Pig no different than the PTP leadership. Put them all in that fancy jail Lingyuck built.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Oh I see.. Well, I think you and the yellow brigade are secretly pulling their hair out at what you see as a travesty of justice, but then, that's typical yellow bias for you.

Oh I see.. Well, I think you and the yellow brigade are secretly pulling their hair out at what you see as a travesty of justice, but then, that's typical yellow bias for you.

You're just compounding your previous puerile effort with more crap.

Just check the thread, if that's not too much for you. Most anti-corruption supporters have stated that Sondhi deserves what he has got & I agree with them. He is not above the law like some very violent thugs have been before May 22nd.

• Like 2

The amulet gave him a scratch on the forehead or was it a piece of the windshield? ... no direct wounds from shots anyway.

I stand corrected. He was not hit by five bullets.

"Mr Sondhi was “out of danger” after a successful two-hour operation to remove a bullet fragment from his skull"

Well done. This should shut up the red sympathizers who are accusing the junta of bias.

Especially since the case and its consequences have absolutely nothing to do with the junta or politics in any way, shape or form.

Maybe yes maybe no. But he is defiantly not a friend of the red shirts. Don't forget that if you are not a red shirt as far as they are concerned if you are not a red shirt backer you are a yellow shirt even though the yellow shirts pretty well ended any say they had trying to get Abhist to invade Cambodia

That alone will show them that the NCPO is non biased. Well they are biased against corruption.

No. It shows nothing at all about the NCPO. The junta, the military, the yellow shirts, the red shirts, the Suthepians, the amart.... none of them are involved in any manner. This is a criminal (economic) case that involves Sondhi and his business and the judges, no one else.

For what it's worth, Sondhi has faced numerous economic-crime charges in his very chequered business career, and knows some of the bail warders quite well. Almost all such charges were before he fell in love with Thaksin but a few occurred after that as well. NONE of the cases involved politics or treatment - favorable or unfavorable - from any of the many regimes he has survived, including this case, and the current regime.

Edited by wandasloan

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Don't drag me into your makebelieve partisanship.

Oh the irony.

Anti corruption protest leader sentenced to 20 years for corruption.

Good enough for the low life, another prick who thinks he is above the law. How the mighty fall bah.gif

I think they stopped doing chains some time ago

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/thailand-ends-century-old-practice-of-shackling-inmates-26126