Motorbike license--best time to apply, documents required

heybruce

After many years of getting by with a foreign drivers license and IDL I decided to finally get my Thai motorbike license. I found this http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html with information on getting a driver license, but I've spent a lot of time searching and found nothing on getting a motorbike license, which is all I want.

I assume I'll need most of the same documents as for the driver license; I have the medical certificate and will obtain the "certified letter of residence" from the consulate tomorrow. I'm not sure what they mean by "Valid international driver's license plus signed photocopy or translated regular driving licence from the applicant's home country, certified by Embassy or consulate. (if available)." Does anyone know what this is, and if it is necessary? I plan on taking the motorbike test, do they really a consulate certified photocopy of my automobile driver license?

I also have a Chiang Mai specific question: When is the best day and time to go? I assume the best time is early, is this like the Thai Immigration where I need to get there an hour or more before opening? Is there any particular day of the week to avoid, or best day of week to go?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Go early, 8am.

You'll need everything photocopied.

And yes, you will need your drivers licence from wherever you came from, hopefully its in English or you may need it translated. My Australian one was fine.

This is assuming you have a non immigrant or business visa. You won't get one without that.

But you knew that already cause it's on the list of things you need.

Things you'll need with copies

• Main page passport.
  • Visa page passport.
  • Last entry stamp and TM card.
  • Proof of residence (work permit, yellow tabien ban, or certificate of residence from your embassy or Thai Immigration).
  • Medical certificate (available at almost any medical centre)
  • Your current DL & International Drivers Permit (IDP), if you have them.

If you’re going for both motorcycle and car, take two copies of each.

Edited by DaamNaam

Go early, 8am.

You'll need everything photocopied.

And yes, you will need your drivers licence from wherever you came from, hopefully its in English or you may need it translated. My Australian one was fine.

This is assuming you have a non immigrant or business visa. You won't get one without that.

But you knew that already cause it's on the list of things you need.

Things you'll need with copies

• Main page passport.
  • Visa page passport.
  • Last entry stamp and TM card.
  • Proof of residence (work permit, yellow tabien ban, or certificate of residence from your embassy or Thai Immigration).
  • Medical certificate (available at almost any medical centre)
  • Your current DL & International Drivers Permit (IDP), if you have them.

If you’re going for both motorcycle and car, take two copies of each.

Thanks for the reply. So a license in English is acceptable, when they say: "Valid international driver's license plus signed photocopy or translated regular driving licence from the applicant's home country, certified by Embassy or consulate. (if available)." they don't mean translated into Thai. That's good to know.

Do I need to make a copy of the drivers license and have it 'certified', whatever that means, at the consulate? I've read, but not from an official source, that just an uncertified copy is acceptable.

Visa is not a problem, I have a non-immigrant and I've followed all the rules, no overstays or other problems. I'll be sure to bring copies of everything.

Edited by heybruce

Don't worry about the time you go. Early is probably the worst time. I went at 11H00 and was done in an hour,

Was that getting your first license or a renewal? Later would be fine with me, it would be great if I had time for my usual pot of coffee before starting the day.

have they changed the rules on that? Before they'd still give the 1 year temporary, even on an exempt stamp, but not the 5 year.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Yes is that another change, I got my first bike and car licence two month ago, tourist visa wasn't even an issue.

Well thinking about it, it can't be an issue with all the tourists being penalised for not having one otherwise what options would they have to get one.

Don't worry about the time you go. Early is probably the worst time. I went at 11H00 and was done in an hour,

Was that getting your first license or a renewal? Later would be fine with me, it would be great if I had time for my usual pot of coffee before starting the day.

I was transitioning from my first one-year licenses to my five-year licenses, so a renewal I guess.

Hi

I have a UK license for car but not motorbike. The info says bring existing license. I want to make license for both; so motorbike would be new / no existing license. Can I still do this?

(Years ago my friend got his Thai licenses and used them to drive in England / no UK license at all- maybe things have changed though).

Thanks

The day i went everyone arriving after 9.30am was turned away, told to come back tomorrow.

That's an excellent reason to arrive early.

Is the first time motorbike license an all-day affair? I want to bring a Thai friend to translate for me, and she'll want to know how long it will take. I can sometimes understand simple Thai (not northern language) if spoken slowly and clearly, but I don't think I can count on that.

If your present license says you can drive a motorbike you may be able to avoid the movie and tests... If not the whole day affair starts with a 4 hour movie... Reaction test (know the Thai words for red, yellow & green)... Written test... If you pass all this in the afternoon you do the driving test..

As stated before you must get there early - I think they cutoff at 8am when the movie starts...

• Like 1

Unfortunately my present license does not include motorbikes. My Thai is weak but I can recognize sii daeng, sii luang, and sii khiao. If the written test is in Thai I will need help, or a few days with a dictionary.

Thanks for all the information, it has been useful.

have they changed the rules on that? Before they'd still give the 1 year temporary, even on an exempt stamp, but not the 5 year.

I'm still very interested to know about this.

I got both my temporary car and bike license 3 years ago and have renewed it twice since, all 3 times I had VE stamps.

I'm very interested to know if they have now limited this to only non-imm visas.

I'm still very interested to know about this.

I got both my temporary car and bike license 3 years ago and have renewed it twice since, all 3 times I had VE stamps.

I'm very interested to know if they have now limited this to only non-imm visas.

As far as i know you need a non immigrant O type visa. It says it in the list of requirements they hand out downstairs.

It would be bizarre not to give it to the other kinds of non immigrant visa holders too at least.

I have an an "O" visa, yes they accept "OA","B", etc, as long as it's a non imm.

Tourist visa's are a no go.

I always assumed Thailand was like the UK, EU, USA, AUS etc etc; tourists can rent vehicles if they have a valid license from their own country. It's only when they stay beyond a time of tourism that they require a license as if they were residents, 1 to 6 month cut off normally.

Otherwise how can all the car rental companies such as Hertz and Budget etc be operating here? I doubt they would be here if not legally sound.

People have provided a lot of useful information, and it's much appreciated. I'll ask for one more bit of help; can anyone direct me to a map that shows exactly where the license and test place is? I've found general directions, something about near the end of the airport runway, but I'd like to know exactly where I'm going before I set out.

It would be bizarre not to give it to the other kinds of non immigrant visa holders too at least.

I have an an "O" visa, yes they accept "OA","B", etc, as long as it's a non imm.

being arbitrary without clear qualification whilst avoiding the immediate question, it seems there is no new rule here.

as i said, i've been in 3 times in three years on 3 VE stamps and without issue. my last one was 27th march this year. eye-catcher said he got his first on a tourist visa 2 months ago. you need a non-imm to go from the 1 year temporary to the the 5 year license, otherwise they will only reissue another 1 year temporary.

the rest of your advice is sound, as i said, i've done it 3 times now.

I always assumed Thailand was like the UK, EU, USA, AUS etc etc; tourists can rent vehicles if they have a valid license from their own country. It's only when they stay beyond a time of tourism that they require a license as if they were residents, 1 to 6 month cut off normally.

Otherwise how can all the car rental companies such as Hertz and Budget etc be operating here? I doubt they would be here if not legally sound.

forget about the license for a second, I'll tell you the story as to why i got mine.

insurance.

a few years ago my personal risk exposure due to the amount of riding i was doing without proper insurance started to play heavily on my mind. travel insurance wouldn't cover a bike accident, there was no insurance from the bike rental places, it wasn't clear what my health insurance would cover (i guess SFA). so i purchased my own bike then put 1st class insurance on the bike which required the primary driver have a Thai license.

i came off the bike back in january, and well, now i'm glad this is what i did. everything was black&white, the 1st class insurance paid up, the compulsory government insurance paid up, hospital bills and repairs to the bike paid for, with little hesitance.

• Like 2

People have provided a lot of useful information, and it's much appreciated. I'll ask for one more bit of help; can anyone direct me to a map that shows exactly where the license and test place is? I've found general directions, something about near the end of the airport runway, but I'd like to know exactly where I'm going before I set out.

here is a cheat sheet... Its a bit out of date as they have added the movie portion of the event...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KZPnmHsU7dA/Uh7lgIL3Q1I/AAAAAAAAARo/Ml_wYVW-LZ8/s1600/How+To+Get+Your+Thai+Driving+Licence+in+Chiang+CHEAT-page-0.jpg

You won't be renting a car without a International drivers licence in Australia, i would assume US, UK would be similar.

There are many dodgy operators here for sure, and i tell you now, if you are in an accident without an international or Thai licence you have "zero" insurance cover in court.

You won't be renting a car without a International drivers licence in Australia, i would assume US, UK would be similar.

There are many dodgy operators here for sure, and i tell you now, if you are in an accident without an international or Thai licence you have "zero" insurance cover in court.

Sorry old chap; I beg to differ.

My wife has rented cars in UK and EU with her Thai license. Funny I could not because I only had the photo part and never carry the paper bit. I have rented cars in Thailand and other non EU countries from the big companies with my UK license with out needing the paper part.

The car rental companies have insurance of the kind that covers everybody with a license from their home countries; no issue at all.

See here US- up to 1 year driving on your Licence

http://london.usembassy.gov/mobile/rctour.html (scroll down)

And here Australia - "any license that is in English" / if Not then just translate (which is all an IDP/ International Driver Permit is anyway- since Thai license is in English now it should be no trouble either therefor)

http://www.carhireinsider.com.au/drivers-license-requirements-in-australia/

• 2 weeks later...

"and will obtain the "certified letter of residence" from the consulate tomorrow."

If you are from the UK, the consulate will charge you, "an eye-watering" 2800 baht!!

If you get the Thai one from the place across for Promenade, only 500 baht!

No problem getting a 1 year temporary licence (that needs renewing every year) on a tourist visa OR visa exempt stamp.

• Like 1

You only need a Thai license if you stay more that 3 months. Can get one on a tourist visa, helped a guy a few months ago, just before the more strict test.

Your mileage varies with the international license. You *should* have one but mostly not checked. Probably need one so you can avoid the written and practical tests.