Scammed by Phuket Airport Immigration?

YaiJung

A few days ago my gf and I were flying out of Phuket, heading to Cambodia for a holiday to visit some friends and maybe get another thai visa(depending on if the government decides to let me continue spending my money in Thailand).

My gf of 3 yr was flying out of the country for the first time and thus had a fresh passport. DIrectly after stamping her out, an immigration officer pulled both of us into the an office and had her fill out a form of some sort, seemed to be about human trafficking or something. Then they took our photo together and demanded 500 baht.

Everything seemed above board until they asked for the money. Now, it was early in the morning and I was barely awake, plus not thrilled to be flying, stressed about my visa situation, etc, so I wasn't at the top of my game. So we just paid and then boarded the plane. Only after did I realize that we were probably just ripped off for 500 baht by the immigration officers(not the end of the world, but still...who likes getting ripped off?).

I have traveled the same route HKT-PNH several times in the past with an ex-gf, although the last time was about 8 yrs ago. We were never asked for any money or any special forms to sign.

Looking back, we were for sure easy targets that morning. Tired, stressed, not thrilled about flying in general, etc.

Is this some kind of new procedure to prevent human trafficking or were we scammed by petty, thieving, predatory immigration officers?

And what about the 50-100 baht stamp out tax? Maybe you got the vip service at this moring.

We didn't get hit up for the 50-100 baht "tax". Immigration was busy, but it only took us about 15 min to get through to the counter. We did see staff directing families with children to the express lane. Don't know if they paid extra or not. It seemed like the staff were just being helpful to them, but who knows with the news of late.

Same happened to me and GF about 3 years ago. She had a fresh passport, and we were heading for Singapore. Into the office, I had to sign something about human trafficking, and me returning her to Thailand. I don't remember what I paid, but I do remember getting what appeared to be a receipt.

I wonder why they didn't do same with kids???

What was the 500 baht demand for and did you get an official receipt?

I don't know what the 500 baht was for. No receipt.

I wasn't about to argue with them either. Especially not with what has been going on lately at the phuket airport since the coup.

OP, can you tell me what airline flies Phuket to Phnom Penh - direct?

It's been a while since I checked, but I have always had to go via Bangkok on my way to Phnom Penh. That doesn't put me through Phuket Airport Immigration - it puts me through Immigration in Bangkok.

I have just run that route through a flight search engine and it didn't reveal any direct flights.

I would be interested to know who you flew with.

I will have to see next month when we fly to Singapore. Last time we passed through Immigration about 3 years ago my wife had to go the office to sign some paper, and don't forget Thais have to complete the arrivals card on the way out. I assumed that was what she signed, I signed nothing. To be honest my wife, then g/f was often hassled for money by immigration on the way out. When I intervened the officer had the cheek to ask me to buy him ciggies and whiskey as a tip for letting my lady through. I said no problem and we just boarded the flight. We complained about on the way back in but no one was interested.

Yep. This kind of thing is getting reported a lot lately. It was just mentioned in another thread recently too. With the intentional slowing of immigration processing and closing of booths in order to entice people to pay for the VIP express lane, Phuket airport immigration has a scam going for people both coming and going. There needs to be some arrests on this soon if Thailand has any intention whatsoever of cleaning up their act.

Never pay without getting a receipt.

I usually have to pay before I get a receipt but I guess I'm going to have to learn to ask about the receipt before I pay.

I'll try that when I go to Patong for my 90 day report.

By the way, anyone know the hours for Immigration Patong?

It's been a while since I checked, but I have always had to go via Bangkok on my way to Phnom Penh. That doesn't put me through Phuket Airport Immigration - it puts me through Immigration in Bangkok.

I have just run that route through a flight search engine and it didn't reveal any direct flights.

Fly tru Bangkok with Airasia you will do Immigration in HKT. Wife and I did it twice this year.

Never ever had this problem with wife at immigration and we travel minimum 5 times per year international.

Pro for travel with wife, dont have to wait at immigration ever, use the thai lane and out in 2 min.

I usually have to pay before I get a receipt but I guess I'm going to have to learn to ask about the receipt before I pay.

It's your call, however after you have paid the money if the officer doesn't give you a receipt, tell him to get his boss... and be firm about it.

It's your call, however after you have paid the money if the officer doesn't give you a receipt, tell him to get his boss... and be firm about it.

Good In theory but with Patong immigration his boss is more than likely in town. Not much chance of the boss coming soon.

Good In theory but with Patong immigration his boss is more than likely in town. Not much chance of the boss coming soon.

I know. I'd forgotten because it's been so long since I've been back to Phuket.

I have never been asked for money doing the 90 days report in Patong. And the last two times I did not fill out any form, just showed the passport, the lady hacks it into her computer and prints out the attachment for your passport. In and out in less than 5 minutes. They open at 10 in the morning and close about 4 pm.

I have never been asked for money doing the 90 days report in Patong. And the last two times I did not fill out any form, just showed the passport, the lady hacks it into her computer and prints out the attachment for your passport. In and out in less than 5 minutes. They open at 10 in the morning and close about 4 pm.

First time after Patong Immigration re-opened I did the 90 day thing. Very pleasant experience, no hint of a charge. 2nd time, again very pleasant until asked for 40 baht, what for I asked, printing the form they said, there is no charge I said, very chilly after that, and I walked out paying nothing.

I hear that they are asking 100 baht now, I guess to make up for those not paying.

^ with stories like that how can one not be allowed to express " overly negative opinions" of this country? That is the kind of crap you find in Zambia or Zimbabwe which is OK because they aren't pretending to be developed and you know you are going to a 3rd world piss hole.

It's just LIE LAND LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE...... everything is a big fat lie.

E V E R Y T H I N G !! .

And what about the 50-100 baht stamp out tax? Maybe you got the vip service at this moring.

We didn't get hit up for the 50-100 baht "tax". Immigration was busy, but it only took us about 15 min to get through to the counter. We did see staff directing families with children to the express lane. Don't know if they paid extra or not. It seemed like the staff were just being helpful to them, but who knows with the news of late.

(Experience from 2011-2012)

Being once late at the airport, I asked to use the VIP lane and was prepared to pay for it (as for BFS at Suvarnabhumi) - solly Sir, only for Thai Airways and business class...

During high season, with long queues, I always choose the left queue, because there they often directed you to the VIP lane, if their counter was free.

Never paid anything...

Fly tru Bangkok with Airasia you will do Immigration in HKT. Wife and I did it twice this year.

Never ever had this problem with wife at immigration and we travel minimum 5 times per year international.

Pro for travel with wife, dont have to wait at immigration ever, use the thai lane and out in 2 min.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I overlooked the fly-through.

I often stop for a few days in Pattaya on a visa run, to catch up with friends, so, I don't do the fly-through.

me to at the patong office for my 90 day report last month, they ask me for 100 bt service fee,where can we complaint about that,look like the immigration is getting very bad right now!

Yes, because the Junta, with its crackdown on visas, have given immigration even more discretionary power. And of course, as every one knows, a Thai official with power will use it to make money. That is why he paid for his job in the first place.

Patong

open 10-12

1-3 pm ONLY

great job if u can get it :-)

Bangkok Airways. I've done this route at least a dozen times and always go through immigration in phuket on the way out, but get stamped back in at the small immigration area in the transit area of the BKK airport on the way back.

Very good service with bangkokair on this route btw. If flights are running late they have staff meet you when land in bkk and whisk you off the the next flight asap.

Bags are checked all the way through both ways. After you add up all the extra B.S. that air asia adds on it costs about the same and is a much smoother experience.

me to at the patong office for my 90 day report last month, they ask me for 100 bt service fee,where can we complaint about that,look like the immigration is getting very bad right now!

Yes, because the Junta, with its crackdown on visas, have given immigration even more discretionary power. And of course, as every one knows, a Thai official with power will use it to make money. That is why he paid for his job in the first place.

Crackdown on visa exempt entries was already announced by previous government.

• 3 weeks later...

The scary thing about this story is that now we know it costs only 500B if you want to traffic a human though Phuket airport immigration.

Meanwhile I have heard from 4 separate groups just today that they were all asked for money to be expedited though the long que's at Phuket airport immigration. One group waited in line with small children for one hour, had moved only about 5 meters in that time, before being approached by officials who offered the "special permission" line, then literally pocketed the money with, of course, no receipt. They were very frustrated with the fact that 4-5 "VIP" lanes were open with no line, while the same, or less were opened for general arrivals. Most of them expressed a feeling that they were being intentionally slowed in order to make paying for the VIP lane more attractive.

Once the NCPO finishes with the taxi's, immigration MUST be next.

Edited by NomadJoe