EXTENDING TOURIST VISA QUESTION

I am extending a tourist visa at immigration in Bangkok and I am wondering if I can get a longer than a 30 day extension for medical purposes?  I have a letter from my doctor and a list of proceedures to be done by my dental clinic and past paid receipts. They need about 5 months more to complete all my dental work. I don't expect a 5 month extension but 90 days would be great.

Depends on your nationality, for gulf state nationals it might be possible.

The requirement for a regular medical extension is that you are unable to travel, I would guess that is not that the case. But you can of course try. I think it will result in you going to Laos and applying for a double entry tourist visa. With extensions that should give you almost 6 months.

The requirement for a regular medical extension is that you are unable to travel, I would guess that is not that the case. But you can of course try. I think it will result in you going to Laos and applying for a double entry tourist visa. With extensions that should give you almost 6 months.

That seems so  odd that Thailand only caters to gulf states for medical tourism.  I wonder why that could be?  Does any one know what the Thai logic is for not wanting to cater to medical tourism from Europe and America?

That seems so  odd that Thailand only caters to gulf states for medical tourism.  I wonder why that could be?  Does any one know what the Thai logic is for not wanting to cater to medical tourism from Europe and America?

There is no such thing as Thai logic. You can accept their regular procedures or pay a lot of money to have your own applied. 

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

The gulf states are nearby, many people there have plenty of money to spend and many places lack quality medical services.

People from the US and Europe can easily apply for a visa for medical treatment. The number of Americans who want to travel half way around the world to be treated in Thailand isn't likely to be that many, but they can do it easily if they want.

Washington DC Thai Embassy... here's the procedure... catering to everyone: Rest easy. No need to fear a loss of face.

Purpose of Visit:- 
This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for medical treatment at hospitals/medical facilities in Thailand.

Documents Required:-
   1) Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page). 
   2) One visa application form completely filled out (download)
   3) Two passport-size photographs (2"x2") (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Photos must be taken within 6 months. 
4) Letter of hospitals in Thailand indicating medical purpose and duration of treatment
   5) A copy of round-trip ticket or itinerary 
   6) A copy of recent bank statement or evidence of adequate finance 
    ($700 per person and $1,500 per family) 
   7 For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card with employment verification or a copy of valid US visa with employment verification letter if self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name. 
   8) For minor uder 20 years old, a birth certificate, copies of mother and father's passports and Marriage Certificate if any, letter of consent from mother and father for the minor to travel abroad in case not accommany with the child. in case of sole custody, a copy of court order must be provided

Submitting application by mail
     Application must include self-addressed return envelope only by these following mail service:- 
     1. USPS (US Postal Service) Express Mail:  use only Flat Rate Mailing Envelopewith $ 19.95 postage stamp (Metered stamps will not be accepted)

Or
     2. FedEx Express(No Fedex Ground): with a prepaid barcode label only.

Consular officers reserve the right to request additional documents as deemed necessary and also reserve the right to reject any application without having to provide reason. 

Visa Processing Fees:- 
     Visa processing fee: 40 dollars per entry for duration of medical treatment not more than 60 days (MT visa), or 80 dollars (single entry)/200 dollars (multiple entries) for medical treatment more than 60 days (Non-O visa).

Visa processing fees are payable in money order or cashier check made payable to “The Royal Thai Embassy”. 

Validity of a visa:-
     The Validity of a visa is 3 months – 1 year depending on the duration of treatment indicating in the supported letter of hospitals in Thailand.

Period of stay:-
     Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 60 days to 90 days depending on the duration of treatment indicating in the supported letter of hospitals in Thailand.

With a certificate from your doctor to that effect, you can get an extension of stay for medical reasons under paragraph 2.25 of Thai Police Order 777/2551 and Immigration Bureau Order 305/2551

2.25 In the case of medical
treatment or convalescence or to look after a patient:
Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 90 days at a time.

(1) Confirmation and request has been made by a physician
responsible for the treatment. The Physician must describe the details of treatment and advised that the illness is a barrier for travelling.
(2) In the case of looking after a patient, confirmation and request has been made by the physician responsible for the treatment or by an embassy or consulate.
(3) Patient Carer, except parents, spouse, children, adopted children or children of spouse, shall be granted no more than 1 extra person. 

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/609357-visa-extension-due-to-illness/