Which passport number use for flight, British/Thai?

Hi Guys,

I am sure some of you will be able to help clear this up,

I will soon be visiting the UK with my son who has both a Thai and English passport, the question is which passport number do I put on my sons flight ticket when booking the flight online? I will be flying with British airways and they require all passport information,

Any help and advice on this and any other issues I might run into will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Use the UK PP number as that is what he will be using to enter and exit the UK, you may need to show the Thai PP to the check-in staff.

Exit (and re-enter) Thailand on his Thai PP.

EDIT If you are travelling without the other parent, a letter from them authorising the trip would be useful insurance.

• Like 1

... it is a good job I asked or I would of made a costly mistake,

Using the right passport on a booking for a flight between the UK and Thailand might not matter yet. The problem may come when permission to be carried is determined before check-in, as appears to be the British aspiration. While I agree that the UK passport is currently the correct passport for booking there-and-back flights between Britain and Thailand, things could get hairy if Thai immigration starts checking for onward flights before passengers check-in for a flight to Thailand. I think this won't happen, but you need to pay attention to how Thailand uses advance passenger processing.

On the other hand, it seems that a flight to the US should be booked citing the passport that will be used to enter the US, for there might not be time to rectify matters at check-in.

I've just flown back to the UK with my dual nationality son, British/Thai with BA. It's no problem showing both passports, in fact I just showed the Thai one originally (as that is what he arrived on) and was asked for his British one as he didn't have a visa for the UK in the Thai passport. Also, the British one was out of date, but that is another story.....

OP, I don't think the passport number is that important as I don't think I needed it when booking online.

Indeed; as both the UK and Thailand allow dual nationality, showing both passports to the airline, Thai immigration or UK immigration should not cause any problems.

The only potential problem is if the passports are in different names; in which case an official document, such as a marriage certificate, may be needed to show that they belong to the same person; although in these days of biometric chips that may no longer be needed.

Whichever passport you use to book the tickets, you may need to show both to the airline; one to id him and the other to show he does not need a visa to enter the other end.

As far as immigration is concerned; on leaving and entering Thailand, use his Thai passport; on leaving and entering the UK use his British one.