Cutting corners can cost lives, survivor says: Pathum Thani condo collapse

webfact

Not a good deal for the workers who survived!  The construction company should be doing a better job of looking after their workers.

You don't think free rice and cooked is a good deal for the survivers?

I hope you are being sarcastic. Some of the construction companies here are fly-by-night cowboys and it seems that one of them was on the job here.

They had fallen behind with their employee's wages (if what we read here is true) & the boss has done a runner. Some hope the workers have of getting their pay.

The sad way the Cambodian survivors & dependents are being treated does Thailand's reputation no good. Yes, they are illegal workers, but they are also victims of a disaster and ought to be treated the same way as Thai victims. Deportation can then follow afterwards.

• Like 2

There have been many cases all over the world of structure collapse ("pancaking")  when a full bucket of wet concrete crashes down onto the upper deck. A variation on this is if a load swings hard and crashes laterally into the deck. If this project has been pushed along too hard, there may be problems from loading onto green (improperly cured) columns and pilasters. The limited view from the dashboard camera recording almost suggests the second condition, as it appears to almost be pushed over from behind. But without a proper investigation, who knows?

I see these jobs going on all over Chiang Mai, with workers shod in flip flops clambering around on bamboo scaffolding. It's amazing to watch. These young workers are out there busting their butts in the heat for long hours and scandalously cheap wages with no benefits or protection.  I salute them.

• Like 1