Motorcycle safety course

elgenon

Are there safety courses similar to the ones in America that teach you how to correctly drive a motorbike? I want to keep riding in Thailand and need to learn how to surviive.

Helpful posts that address the question, please. Thanks!

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

l have not heard of any courses specifically aimed at bike safety. The problem with riding over here is you can have Valentino Rossi's ability on a bike, but you cannot account for what other people do.

Number of years ago was out on 2nd Pattaya with a pal ( both seasoned bikers from UK ) riding along at approx 20 mph, when a fight broke out in a bar at the side of the road, spooked the stay dogs present and they ran into the road bringing my mate off. His collarbone came through the skin and he was a right mess, plus a rental CBR600 to pay for !

l think the best advice l could give : expect the unexpected, always ride with your headlight on ( not full beam ) even during the day, always check over your shoulder when turning into a side road, because people will come down the outside of you regardless of wether you indicate, always have your hands on, or close to the brake and my biggest bug bear - look out for <deleted> coming the wrong way up the road.

You bring up an interesting topic and l bet we could a further 100 tips to this,,,,,,, but for sure riding in Thailand is a dangerous activity.

l have not heard of any courses specifically aimed at bike safety. The problem with riding over here is you can have Valentino Rossi's ability on a bike, but you cannot account for what other people do.

Number of years ago was out on 2nd Pattaya with a pal ( both seasoned bikers from UK ) riding along at approx 20 mph, when a fight broke out in a bar at the side of the road, spooked the stay dogs present and they ran into the road bringing my mate off. His collarbone came through the skin and he was a right mess, plus a rental CBR600 to pay for !

l think the best advice l could give : expect the unexpected, always ride with your headlight on ( not full beam ) even during the day, always check over your shoulder when turning into a side road, because people will come down the outside of you regardless of wether you indicate, always have your hands on, or close to the brake and my biggest bug bear - look out for <deleted> coming the wrong way up the road.

You bring up an interesting topic and l bet we could a further 100 tips to this,,,,,,, but for sure riding in Thailand is a dangerous activity.

1)I was riding down the hill at Big Buddha and a bulldozer back out of a sand lot in front of me. i chose to go in front of him, as he was backing out. Didn't see he was dropping sand in the road as he went. I went DOWN.,

2)Was going across Samui taking the airport road. Knew there was sand in the middle of the 90 degree turn that is in the road. Knew to avoid it. Then a large truck came straight at me and I had to go through the sand to avoid it. Yikes!

I just think being better prepared with more knowledge and confidence could help.

I ride when I really have no choice... and that is not often... I am not the best rider, but the Missus is fantastic, and I have no issue going with her, she knows what she is doing... BUT... You can be the safest, best rider in the world, with all the training... but there is always the other idiot, that is intent on taking you out... Also, I have no probs getting on a moto taxi.... those blokes/ladies might be mad, but most of em are great riders.

If you had ever seen the test they have to do you will know why they are at best hopeless/dangerous drivers. Quick rundown on that, they all get in a line with the tester in front so they can see all that's going on!!! ride some 4/5mt turn left another 3mt turn left another 4/5mt then the last left turn back to where they started from, the last bit zigzagging through 3 bollards that you could get a bus through if you don't fall off you've passed, you can put both feet down if it helps. If you don't do I first time you have another go. N/B no one ever fails. Hope you noticed that not 1 right turn was involved.

So as someone else said it's not you it's the other plonkers that are out there. Most driving without any licence anyway.

Best of luck you'll need it.

Edited by fredob43

I think the idea is to learn defensive techniques and how to handle dangerous situations. At least that's the kind of knowledge i want to acquire.

sad.png

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed again. Please stop using bold font when posting.
  • Like 1

Start with the courses that the manufacturers run, Yamaha Honda and Kawa all have proper physical courses and pretty good instructors. How is your Thai language proficiency? These courses may be only available in Thai.

Khun Ball from Bkk Bike (BMW Dealer) is apparently available on occasion for private lessons, but is expensive. There is Storm Academy where for sure some of the teachers speak good enough English to get you through.

Get Twist of the Wrist. Ride with people who are more experienced and watch them...

Ride safe.

• Like 1

I think the idea is to learn defensive techniques and how to handle dangerous situations. At least that's the kind of knowledge i want to acquire.

sad.png

I'm sure some other riders will lambaste me but I think a good starting point is to join other riders and go for some rides with them. If you read (or watch) Twist of the Wrist, one of the first criticisms is about getting advice from other riders. This is fine and well in US / Europe where there are plenty of options with regards to training schools. However, in Thailand, the choices are practically non-existent unless you are willing to spend a lot of money (getting instruction from instructors like Graham of Highside Tours etc - but based in Pattaya).

You mention specifically about safety. You need not listen to advice from other riders about leaning, countersteering (especially don't listen to those that will tell you that CS is intuitive - you NEED to know about it and execute it CONSCIOUSLY), brake trailing etc but you WILL be able to get a lot of very good information about how to ride safely, what to watch out for, when to speed up and when to slow down etc etc.

sad.png

I'm sure some other riders will lambaste me but I think a good starting point is to join other riders and go for some rides with them. If you read (or watch) Twist of the Wrist, one of the first criticisms is about getting advice from other riders. This is fine and well in US / Europe where there are plenty of options with regards to training schools. However, in Thailand, the choices are practically non-existent unless you are willing to spend a lot of money (getting instruction from instructors like Graham of Highside Tours etc - but based in Pattaya).

You mention specifically about safety. You need not listen to advice from other riders about leaning, countersteering (especially don't listen to those that will tell you that CS is intuitive - you NEED to know about it and execute it CONSCIOUSLY), brake trailing etc but you WILL be able to get a lot of very good information about how to ride safely, what to watch out for, when to speed up and when to slow down etc etc.

Excellent reply. Thanks!

Start with the courses that the manufacturers run, Yamaha Honda and Kawa all have proper physical courses and pretty good instructors. How is your Thai language proficiency? These courses may be only available in Thai.

Khun Ball from Bkk Bike (BMW Dealer) is apparently available on occasion for private lessons, but is expensive. There is Storm Academy where for sure some of the teachers speak good enough English to get you through.

Get Twist of the Wrist. Ride with people who are more experienced and watch them...

Ride safe.

Thai not great but improving.

Thanks for the helpful info!

If you are an experienced rider already I would suggest track time so you know the limits of your bike.

Just be mindful that knowing the limits of your bike might mean crashing it so a full leather suit and other gear is smart to have.

For any newbies reading this; I had a friend learn to ride bikes in Bangkok so we did the Honda course.

It was just riding basics, not advanced safety skills.

He seemed to learn a lot; hard braking, balancing, hill starts.

The course had some decent obstacles to practice on.

It might have been 300 baht 5 years ago so doubt it is more than 400 baht for a one on one lesson.

I'm sure they have group lessons but that will cut back on your learning.

If you are an experienced rider already I would suggest track time so you know the limits of your bike.

Just be mindful that knowing the limits of your bike might mean crashing it so a full leather suit and other gear is smart to have.

For any newbies reading this; I had a friend learn to ride bikes in Bangkok so we did the Honda course.

It was just riding basics, not advanced safety skills.

He seemed to learn a lot; hard braking, balancing, hill starts.

The course had some decent obstacles to practice on.

It might have been 300 baht 5 years ago so doubt it is more than 400 baht for a one on one lesson.

I'm sure they have group lessons but that will cut back on your learning.

Thanks! So you don't need to know Thai? What gear do I need for 1 on 1?

Thanks again.

there is a dedicated bike forum on here that may be more useful.

Learn how to survive? don't get a bike.

Thanks for the guidance. I didn't see it.

I don't want to survive, just have a better chance! 555

If you are talking big bikes.. Try going for a few rides with some more experienced (worthy experience) riders and accept their criticism. Some people will tell you things they see you do wrong or not so safely and help you out with some good tips.

Ride safe.

Thai not great but improving.

Thanks for the helpful info!

You dont need to know Thai for riding courses at beginner level especially ones honda kawa etc doing.

They know the terms stop, brake, throttle, slow down etc.

Honda's course was nice.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Interesting! Just a "silly" question: do you need to have a Honda to attend a Honda course? Or, is it open to everyone? Thanks!

Naturally. But call them as they might do exceptions by charging you.

I know these guys and they give training for some time. Received good feedback about them.

Check it out:

https://m.facebook.com/thitikorn.kaweesilp?fref=fr_tab

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Interesting! Just a "silly" question: do you need to have a Honda to attend a Honda course? Or, is it open to everyone? Thanks!

A Honda bike is not needed. For the basic 4 days riding course you are provided with bikes (going progressively through auto / semi auto / grom and then cbr150). I did this course as a complete beginner end of last year and found it to be very good. It cost 2,000 Baht and leads to a Thai riding license if you don't already have one.

For the more "advanced" big bike course they offer (which is just 1 full day) you can either bring your own bike of whatever make or rent a CB500F from them for extra cost. The 1 day training is 1,000 Baht excluding bike rental. I will be doing the 1 day training this coming Friday on my own bike as I could use some extra practice.

I did the basic course with Khun Art whom I can highly recommend, good teacher, sufficient English and good riding skills.