Cigar Smokers and Scotch Drinkers?

cigar7

Cigars smokers seem to be a rarity in Pattaya. I seldom see other cigar smokers and the few times I've ran into someone with a cigar they did not live here. I have a nice balcony set up with a recliner and stereo for home and have a couple of favorite beer bars for the evening.

A nice dedicated cigar club or lounge would be nice but I think the Thai cigar prices would make them a risky venture in Pattaya. It could easily cost 2k - 3k Baht for a good cigar and scotch in a nice lounge.

When I lived in Almaty, there was group called Kindred Spirits which had been started by an American expat working there. 

Once a month, folks would gather for cigars and single malt whiskeys, and conversation. More of a business networking thing than anything else.  The American host would put out a range of nibbles.

Members cooperated with purchasing a range of single-malts and cigars from duty free stores as they traveled, so there was always something new to try. The host also managed an ever growing inventory of scotch as people chose to leave their bottles there which, of course, meant that the host never had to worry about a lack of a good scotch between meetings...heh..

Maybe starting something similar here would provide the answer?

When I lived in Almaty, there was group called Kindred Spirits which had been started by an American expat working there. 

Once a month, folks would gather for cigars and single malt whiskeys, and conversation. More of a business networking thing than anything else.  The American host would put out a range of nibbles.

Members cooperated with purchasing a range of single-malts and cigars from duty free stores as they traveled, so there was always something new to try. The host also managed an ever growing inventory of scotch as people chose to leave their bottles there which, of course, meant that the host never had to worry about a lack of a good scotch between meetings...heh..

The American host would put out a range of nibbles. In Pattaya there are more than a few few hosts who would put out a range of nipples.

The guy that used to own Lolitas lk metro( now crystal I think)  used to sell philippine cigars at his bar- not Cohiba standard but ok. Good idea maybe to get a club going.

When I'm on Bkk I go to the intercontinental- they have a fantastic cigar room...

I'll be in Almaty tomorrow as it happens

I enjoyed living there.  Quite a while ago, so I imagine that it has changed quite a bit.  They can keep the winters, though....

I enjoyed living there.  Quite a while ago, so I imagine that it has changed quite a bit.  They can keep the winters, though....

I'm offshore, so don't really hang around. I get the chopper into the heliport then wait in a new hotel right next to the airport for the flight to Almaty then down to Bkk

I'm offshore, so don't really hang around. I get the chopper into the heliport then wait in a new hotel right next to the airport for the flight to Almaty then down to Bkk

See, now there is a change already - when I was there, the  international side burned down, and everything was routed through the domestic side until they built a new terminal. No hotels closer than downtown - it was difficult to even find a cup of coffee before a middle of the night flight.

One thing I do remember about the airport was the fog - we once did 3 go-arounds in a large BA plane because the pilots could did not have visual of the runway at 500 feet.  They finally did make it on the 4th try which was great since the alternative was Baku. Can't tell you how many times my flight was cancelled because the flights could not make it in - back home, try again the next day.

• Like 1