Trolls and Bullies are Debasing the Thai Visa Forums and the Internet

Kabula

I'm very appreciate of the valuable information conveyed in the Thai Visa Forums.  Over the years it has been a life preserver for many Expats and Tourists running the Thai Visa gauntlet.  It would be impossible to measure the value of the content.

I believe the vast majority of the Thai Visa members would agree and understand just how gravely important it is to maintain the health and vibrancy of this very important medium, as well as the worldwide Internet.

It truly pains me to see members with serious, life changing problems, attempting to get serious questions answered only for degrading, ill members to respond with, ridicules,  cruel comments for self gratification.

I have to wonder how many intelligent, caring, Expat members with years of experience that could contribute to the community by helping others, quit the forums from rude comments.

Having been a published writer, I know all too well how financially damaging this sadistic behavior can be.

I will convey a quote that I read:

"the Internet represents the most crucial database of independent, uncensored, worthwhile information in human history"

Written words are more powerful that most people think. Written words cause governments to collapse over time, markets to tumble and can kill!  Many young, productive people have committed suicide from online bullying.  Troll's have been arrested, and charged with criminal actions.  Not only do they destroy the lives of others, but their own.

It's important to understand specific words, their meaning and intent.

The definition of the Internet slang, Troll is:

a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

The definition of Debasing is:

to lower in quality, character, or value, to reduce somebody in status, significance, or moral worth

Words associated with Debasing are:

degrading , undignified, mortify, shameful  and unbecoming

You have to agree, the above definitions are down right ugly.

Internet "trolls" are generally anonymous provocateurs who invade forums and comment sections for the primary purpose of disrupting discourse.  Some wish to damage reputations, conduct character assassinations while damaging reputations.  Their actions discredit valuable ideas and concepts, while others simply want to make spectacles of themselves through heckling and bullying.

The Internet Troll is now being evaluated by psychologists.  Many are taking a closer look and for good reason.

Their research concludes that anonymity on the Internet makes all the difference, and unfortunately, this frees some to partake in some pretty egregious behavior online.

The bottom line is the Internet is a, 'Sadists' playground.  Call them what they are!  Most don't even know what they are or why they do what they do.  Most have never looked up the definition of a Troll. They certainly can't be proud of what they do.

Their behavior must play out in their personal relationships. Perhaps they have no friends so they spend all day attacking and blaming others. One has to wonder what kind life they experienced prior to leaving their home country, or what they are experiencing presently.

One has to wonder if all the toxic prescription and illegal drugs, chemical additives in food and water, radiation from cell towers. cell phones, Wi-Fi, evil Internet games and industrial waste is contributing to mental illness. 

Some mental health experts have even gone as far to say that extensive Internet time can rewire human brains, especially with children. Most agree that humans many years ago, never use to behave like they do now.

Thankfully, they are in the minority.

The following is research, conducted by Erin Buckels of the University of Manitoba and two colleagues.

"people who engage in trolling are characterized by personality traits that fall in the so-called Dark Tetrad:  Machiavellianism (willingness to manipulate and deceive others), narcissism (egotism and self-obsession), psychopathy (lack of remorse and empathy), and sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others).

Trolls are an unavoidable nuisance on this free medium.

Experts agree they just want to have fun at the expense of the majority.

It is my opinion, this behavior is exploding worldwide and contributes to the decline of humanity.

My urgent message to, obsessive, evil, "Trolls" is think about the damage you are doing.  If you fall under the definition of a Troll, please seek, competent, mental health evaluation.  Understand you are damaging society and this online community.  You need help to make you a better person!

How do authors protect their sovereign right of the Internet to insulate themselves from these abusive efforts?

My intent is not to bash people who are in need of professional help.  My intent is to help members understand just how serious this problem is.

It is important to think about other people's feelings and how you would feel if you received the message you are prepared to send.  If you don't care, you need  help now!  Perhaps you can't be helped.  If so, disconnect!

How can it be controlled?  Good question, perhaps you have a suggestion.  Moderators can only do so much.  Do we ignore it?  No, it will get worse.

How have you been damaged by this dark side of the Internet, and how?

If you are an out of control, "Troll", let us hear from you.  Have you sought treatment?   Why do you do what you do? Do you now understand the damage you are doing?

Please focus on the above content and don't bash the author, but rather help the forum understand more about this escalating, serious problem.

Edited by Kabula
  • Like 2

Thank you for the in depth lesson on the definition of 'troll'

However this is not a General Discussion or Question related to Thailand.
Please limit topics in this forum to serious questions specifically related to Thailand only

//CLOSED//