Pics of Lotus Restaurant, Beach Club Demolishment

EBlair48

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile about 1 kilometer north of Lotus at the brand new places where they;

Cut trees to put up lights post-179390-0-81652000-1408101386_thumb.

and lay massive concreting post-179390-0-38159500-1408101725_thumb.

However, no more Mr Reggae Bar post-179390-0-89843100-1408101398_thumb.

Mayor to be demolished next? post-179390-0-88082800-1408101392_thumb.

Watch out the next year or two.. lots of debris post-179390-0-08871200-1408101391_thumb.

What ya gonna do when they come fer you.... ( Cherng Telay Mayor ) post-179390-0-84831200-1408101396_thumb.

Bad Boyz Bad Boyz post-179390-0-07634600-1408101395_thumb.

post-179390-0-45841700-1408101751_thumb.

Edited by EBlair48

I actually found myself regretting my wishing for this to happen. It's really looked like a war zone and that is exactly what it is plus a lot of jobs lost and it really will take away from the beach experience. Will every single beach on Phuket , what about 15 or so ...really be just mile after mile of sand and nothing else?

I really think it was a mistake to do this in such a drastic fashion. Tourism will plummet- further. I have read the arguments," Thailand cannot police itself to allow some vendors..." and yes I have to agree and it why I have always had difficulty respecting a culture that has little civil ethos

I also feel a war coming on, a class war.

Have to agree , although in principle it would make sense to carry these actons I fear in reality there has to be at some point a civil revolt against this.

To displace so many people from their income in such a short space of time has to have repercussions.

I guess time will tell how bad they will be.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Come the high season, it will be interesting to see, or not see, who cleans up the garbage from the beaches. Tourists will have to bring all their own food and drink, and some will inevitably fail to clean up after themselves. I haven't seen one trash bin on Nai Harn beach.

• Like 1

Yes, I understand some like their lounger, umbrella and beer service, but it's time to get over it.

I quite understand what you say, and from a personal point of view I'm inclined to agree. I'm sure you'd like nothing better than for the tourism aspect of Phuket to be scaled right down, as it would enhance your lifestyle there. And I'm sure I'd feel the same if I was living there, too. However, neither you or I rely on that tourism to support our way of life, so it's departure would have no economic impact on our lives. But for the locals, it would be disastrous, and I think their ability to survive trumps your desire for the aesthetic of bar-free beaches.

• Like 1

They don't allow any vendors on the beaches in California where I grew up or allow restaurants and loungers all over the beach. Do they allow that on the beaches where you grew up?

Nope. So they came here to enjoy what they couldn't get back home. They said it was part of Thailand's charm.
  • Like 1

Yes, I understand some like their lounger, umbrella and beer service, but it's time to get over it.

I quite understand what you say, and from a personal point of view I'm inclined to agree. I'm sure you'd like nothing better than for the tourism aspect of Phuket to be scaled right down, as it would enhance your lifestyle there. And I'm sure I'd feel the same if I was living there, too. However, neither you or I rely on that tourism to support our way of life, so it's departure would have no economic impact on our lives. But for the locals, it would be disastrous, and I think their ability to survive trumps your desire for the aesthetic of bar-free beaches.

"But for the locals, it would be disastrous, and I think their ability to survive trumps your desire for the aesthetic of bar-free beaches."

For the most part those who "work" here in Phuket on the beach are NOT locals! If they were they would not be working on the beach, they would own land and rent it to people who aren't locals. The Or Bor Tors here have been illegally renting public land to private enterprise, why don't you understand that?

So, if I come to your country, if it has a beach or a national park, I could pay some cash to the local corrupt government officials and open a restaurant and put out loungers and sell beer? No problem? Wake up… They don't allow any vendors on the beaches in California where I grew up or allow restaurants and loungers all over the beach. Do they allow that on the beaches where you grew up? I rather doubt it.

I think we all understand the criminality aspects and how it wasn't regulated sufficiently as the culture is deficient in that regard. I simply think this will bring trouble, we are talking about thousands of jobs that will not be replaced. The upcoming season will already be lean from political fallout- which means a rise in crime. Yes, sure plenty of jobs, minimum wage jobs. Who wants to go from 1000 baht a day to minimum wage? A 60% + decrease in wage is unreasonable to ask anyone to take. Why are they now expected to " go back home"? They have a right to live where they choose, too.

I think it may well impact our lives here, negatively and for many reasons but particularly if resentment festers and that's what I mean about a class war. I can't think of a better way to stir up trouble than to do what has happened here the last few months.

Edited by EBlair48

"But for the locals, it would be disastrous, and I think their ability to survive trumps your desire for the aesthetic of bar-free beaches."

For the most part those who "work" here in Phuket on the beach are NOT locals! If they were they would not be working on the beach, they would own land and rent it to people who aren't locals. The Or Bor Tors here have been illegally renting public land to private enterprise, why don't you understand that?

So, if I come to your country, if it has a beach or a national park, I could pay some cash to the local corrupt government officials and open a restaurant and put out loungers and sell beer? No problem? Wake up… They don't allow any vendors on the beaches in California where I grew up or allow restaurants and loungers all over the beach. Do they allow that on the beaches where you grew up? I rather doubt it.

I think we all understand the criminality aspects and how it simply wasn't regulated as the culture is deficient in that regard. I simply think this will bring trouble, we are talking about thousands of jobs that will not be replaced. The upcoming season will already be lean from political fallout- which means a rise in crime. Yes sure plenty of jobs, minimum wage jobs. Who wants to go from 1000 baht a day to minimum wage? A 60% + decrease in wage is unreasonable to ask anyone to take

I think it may well impact our lives here, negatively and for many reasons but particularly if resentment festers and that's what I mean about a class war. I can't think of a better way to stir up trouble than to do what has happened here the last few months.

When is the last time you went to the beach? When is the last time you rented a lounger? For me it was about two years ago on Kata when I met a friend visiting and he rented the lounger for me. I won't, I refuse and just sit on a towel or beach mat. The beach boy who was serving us was from Burma. He said the Thais are too lazy to do the work, plus they can't speak English. Very true! So your false pretense that the Thais do any work, other than collect ill gotten gains from public lands and most likely illegal aliens working for them won't fly with me. Again, do you know any Thais that were directly affect by the tear downs? I do, they haven't complained a bit.

• Like 2

I think we all understand the criminality aspects and how it simply wasn't regulated as the culture is deficient in that regard. I simply think this will bring trouble, we are talking about thousands of jobs that will not be replaced. The upcoming season will already be lean from political fallout- which means a rise in crime. Yes sure plenty of jobs, minimum wage jobs. Who wants to go from 1000 baht a day to minimum wage? A 60% + decrease in wage is unreasonable to ask anyone to take

When is the last time you went to the beach? When is the last time you rented a lounger? For me it was about two years ago on Kata when I met a friend visiting and he rented the lounger for me. I won't, I refuse and just sit on a towel or beach mat. The beach boy who was serving us was from Burma. He said the Thais are too lazy to do the work, plus they can't speak English. Very true! So your false pretense that the Thais do any work, other than collect ill gotten gains from public lands and most likely illegal aliens working for them won't fly with me. Again, do you know any Thais that were directly affect by the tear downs? I do, they haven't complained a bit.

I was at the beach today, Jimi. [smiley smiley]

The place I go, er went to once or twice a week for lunch gave me a lounger with my meal. He's Thai and very, very upset His place has been there almost 10 years. He had no concrete and had a business license.

I talked to about five others today, all expressed what I have been posting, this was not a smart thing to do and will have negative consequences.

hey have had thier livelihoods ripped out from under them. They were acting with permission from local govt. Yes Local govt was acting illegally, apparently but that doesn't make it OK to now just nuke the working class like what has been done

T

• Like 1

Come the high season, it will be interesting to see, or not see, who cleans up the garbage from the beaches. Tourists will have to bring all their own food and drink, and some will inevitably fail to clean up after themselves. I haven't seen one trash bin on Nai Harn beach.

The sea will of course clean away all the garbage........................thai style thumbsup.gif !!

• Like 2

Hey Jimi, it seems like you really respect the law. So make sure you don't assemble in groups of five or more, because that's now against the law which it wasn't two months ago. The beach vendors had licences from the Or Bor Tor and that was the law then but not now. Your self righteousness is beginning to grate!

You really think thr Or Bor Tor issued official licences. I think not as local authories have no legal right to rent out public beach land. For sure the local authorities turned a blind eye subject to brown envelope payments. All illegal on both sides.

• Like 2

Hey Jimi, it seems like you really respect the law. So make sure you don't assemble in groups of five or more, because that's now against the law which it wasn't two months ago.

No, you've got it a little bit wrong.

No more than five people can congregate for political purposes.