Pics of Lotus Restaurant, Beach Club Demolishment

EBlair48

I actually found myself regretting my wishing for this to happen. It's really looked like a war zone and that is exactly what it is plus a lot of jobs lost and it really will take away from the beach experience. Will every single beach on Phuket , what about 15 or so ...really be just mile after mile of sand and nothing else?

I really think it was a mistake to do this in such a drastic fashion. Tourism will plummet- further. I have read the arguments," Thailand cannot police itself to allow some vendors..." and yes I have to agree and it why I have always had difficulty respecting a culture that has little civil ethos

I also feel a war coming on, a class war.

A lot of scammers and opportunists in tourist areas -- a common phenomenon in many countries -- does not equate to an entire culture having little civil ethos.

When you find a lot of scammers in San Francisco, Las Vegas, or Miami Beach do you make the same sweeping generalization about American culture?

I base my opinion on lack of enforcement across the board, from traffic police to forest encroachment and visa rules, not just beach vendors.

I'd like to put forth a scenario to explain the sympathy I feel for these vendors and how I think this draconian action is unfair.

Prostitution is legal in Thailand but third party profit ( pimping) is not and I find that to be a sensible law. But it isn't enforced except sporadically in order to extort, (another example of the lack of civil ethos... )

Therefore the bar fine" and pimping situation going on in bars all over the country - hundreds of thousands times per day is illegal.

What if a bar was raided and the foreigners were rounded up arrested and had to spend time in jail, and then were deported where a number of them would have to register with their govt as sexual criminals for their " crime..". That's the law !!

Now they all knew it was illegal, but it went on for decades so they thought it was sanctioned. It wasn't " wrong" because everyone did it.

Would they deserve their punishment? I say no.

Edited by EBlair48

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fascinating thread. My chum in Jomtien wonders why the clearances are in Phuket and not Pattaya. He is a Marxist and insists it's all about class. And I would still like Pullman and Nikki to return beach and cape to what it was. I stood on Layan beach to watch the big moon and all I heard was boom bam thud. And it was not the bulldozer.

• Like 1

I actually found myself regretting my wishing for this to happen. It's really looked like a war zone and that is exactly what it is plus a lot of jobs lost and it really will take away from the beach experience. Will every single beach on Phuket , what about 15 or so ...really be just mile after mile of sand and nothing else?

I really think it was a mistake to do this in such a drastic fashion. Tourism will plummet- further. I have read the arguments," Thailand cannot police itself to allow some vendors..." and yes I have to agree and it why I have always had difficulty respecting a culture that has little civil ethos

A lot of scammers and opportunists in tourist areas -- a common phenomenon in many countries -- does not equate to an entire culture having little civil ethos.

When you find a lot of scammers in San Francisco, Las Vegas, or Miami Beach do you make the same sweeping generalization about American culture?

I base my opinion on lack of enforcement across the board, from traffic police to forest encroachment and visa rules, not just beach vendors.

I'd like to put forth a scenario to explain the sympathy I feel for these vendors and how I think this draconian action is unfair.

Prostitution is legal in Thailand but third party profit ( pimping) is not and I find that to be a sensible law. But it isn't enforced except sporadically in order to extort, (another example of the lack of civil ethos... )

Therefore the bar fine" and pimping situation going on in bars all over the country - hundreds of thousands times per day is illegal.

What if a bar was raided and the foreigners were rounded up arrested and had to spend time in jail, and then were deported where a number of them would have to register with their govt as sexual criminals for their " crime..". That's the law !!

Now they all knew it was illegal, but it went on for decades so they thought it was sanctioned. It wasn't " wrong" because everyone did it.

We are getting pretty off topic here! Prostitution is illegal in Thailand.

This is from Yahoo answers: Prostitution has been illegal in Thailand since 1960. The prohibition is, however, not strictly enforced.

The "Entertainment Places Act of 1966", still in effect today, makes it possible for Thais to render "special services". This is done, for example, by establishing such places as massage parlors where men come and look at women, who are sitting separated by a glass wall, and can pick and choose whom they want. The women come to the men's hotel room and massage them, but, in reality do more than that. It is usually left for the customer to decide what kind of special service he really wants, and because of that such establishments are able to avoid being designated as (illegal) brothels.

This act was designed to pave the way for brothels to be legalized under the guise of massage parlours, bars, night-clubs, tea-houses, etc.

The "Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act of 1996" outlawed the hiring of prostitutes under the age of 18, as well as people associating in prostitution establishments for the purpose of prostitution; the latter provision does not appear to be enforced.

This is from Yahoo answers: Prostitution has been illegal in Thailand since 1960. The prohibition is, however, not strictly enforced.

The "Entertainment Places Act of 1966", still in effect today, makes it possible for Thais to render "special services". This is done, for example, by establishing such places as massage parlors where men come and look at women, who are sitting separated by a glass wall, and can pick and choose whom they want. The women come to the men's hotel room and massage them, but, in reality do more than that. It is usually left for the customer to decide what kind of special service he really wants, and because of that such establishments are able to avoid being designated as (illegal) brothels.

This act was designed to pave the way for brothels to be legalized under the guise of massage parlours, bars, night-clubs, tea-houses, etc.

The "Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act of 1996" outlawed the hiring of prostitutes under the age of 18, as well as people associating in prostitution establishments for the purpose of prostitution; the latter provision does not appear to be enforced.

This is done under rental aggrement, as in a karaoke, the client rents the room for entertainment purposes

being a rental it is the clients private room and what the tenant does in his/hers own room

is then private..... loophole+1

I was using this as an example- something is illegal but everyone does it for decades then is it fair to single out a few to punish?

Another example; If they start rounding up foreigners who use nominees to own land, or give their Thai spouse money to buy land in their name and begin prosecuting them, deporting and then forcing them to forever disclose they were involved in international money laundering.

Would that be fair

Incidentally Yes OT, but I disagree about your Yahoo link info.

Please see http://www.impowr.org/content/current-legal-framework-prostitution-thailand

And WIKI which cannot be posted here. The law is designed to discourage third party profit.

1. Penal Code Amendment Act

Thailand’s Penal Code6 does not explicitly state that prostitution is illegal in Thailand but prohibits any person from earning an income as a prostitute. Title IX, Section 286 of the Penal Code states:

“Any person, being over sixteen years of age, [sic] subsists on the earning of a prostitute, even if it is some part of her incomes [sic], shall be punished with imprisonment of seven to twenty years and fined of fourteen thousand to forty thousand Baht, or imprisonment for life.”7

Title IX, Section 286 of the Penal Code also appears to penalize any person who (i) is found residing or habitually associating with a prostitute, (ii) receives boarding, money or other benefits arranged for by a prostitute or (iii) assists any prostitute in a quarrel with a customer. However, it does not specify what the penalties are for such offenses.

- See more at: http://www.impowr.org/content/current-legal-framework-prostitution-thailand#sthash.amnCIUum.dpuf
Edited by EBlair48

I went back by the scene today, It looks like Beirut with a dash of Syria. I didn't have my camera with me but I'll go back tomorrow- I cannot believe the enormous piles of debris left behind. There were a couple of British tourists looking for the Lotus restaurant who were absolutely stunned and very disappointed.

This is from Yahoo answers: Prostitution has been illegal in Thailand since 1960. The prohibition is, however, not strictly enforced. [/size]

The "Entertainment Places Act of 1966", still in effect today, makes it possible for Thais to render "special services". This is done, for example, by establishing such places as massage parlors where men come and look at women, who are sitting separated by a glass wall, and can pick and choose whom they want. The women come to the men's hotel room and massage them, but, in reality do more than that. It is usually left for the customer to decide what kind of special service he really wants, and because of that such establishments are able to avoid being designated as (illegal) brothels. [/size]

This act was designed to pave the way for brothels to be legalized under the guise of massage parlours, bars, night-clubs, tea-houses, etc. [/size]

The "Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act of 1996" outlawed the hiring of prostitutes under the age of 18, as well as people associating in prostitution establishments for the purpose of prostitution; the latter provision does not appear to be enforced.[/size]

I was using this as an example- something is illegal but everyone does it for decades then is it fair to single out a few to punish?

Another example; If they start rounding up foreigners who use nominees to own land, or give their Thai spouse money to buy land in their name and begin prosecuting them, deporting and then forcing them to forever disclose they were involved in international money laundering.

Would that be fair

Please see http://www.impowr.org/content/current-legal-framework-prostitution-thailand

And WIKI which cannot be posted here. The law is designed to discourage third party profit.

Thailand’s Penal Code6 does not explicitly state that prostitution is illegal in Thailand but prohibits any person from earning an income as a prostitute. Title IX, Section 286 of the Penal Code states:

“Any person, being over sixteen years of age, [sic] subsists on the earning of a prostitute, even if it is some part of her incomes [sic], shall be punished with imprisonment of seven to twenty years and fined of fourteen thousand to forty thousand Baht, or imprisonment for life.”7

Title IX, Section 286 of the Penal Code also appears to penalize any person who (i) is found residing or habitually associating with a prostitute, (ii) receives boarding, money or other benefits arranged for by a prostitute or (iii) assists any prostitute in a quarrel with a customer. However, it does not specify what the penalties are for such offenses.

- See more at: http://www.impowr.org/content/current-legal-framework-prostitution-thailand#sthash.amnCIUum.dpuf

Wiki is edited by uniformed sources. Prostitution is illegal here, period. Back when they posted crime statistics here in Phuket there were arrests every month for it. What does the American Bar Association know about Thai law? Sorry, but you are wrong and so is your source.

Im pretty sure its the authorities rather than the vendors who have done the demolishing in many cases ! The bottom line is that piles of rubbish and rubble suit nobody , this needs to be addressed .

I think you'll find the army asked people to demolish their own structures and remove the rubbish at their own costs.

Nobody complied and army had to roll in the equipment.

Can't expect it all done within a day, it's a logistical operation to move tons of shit.

• Like 2

What you say is correct and if the rubble is cleared in a timely manner then all is well.

My point however related to your previous post where you clearly stated the vendors were selfish because THEY demolished the structures and left a mess !

Edited by joecoolfrog

Shows the lack of respect the vendors have for the beach.

Authorities have been great, no arrests just move on and demolish your illegal structure but they just demolish and leave the rubbish for others.

Selfish until the very end.

I wholeheartedly agree. These lawbreaking encroachers had no problem bringing their illegal wares to the beach, but when asked to remove what they brought to work illegally, they thumbed their noses at the authorities as well as giving them a big middle finger.

This nonsense line about " who will clean the beaches with no beach vendors" is rubbish, literally. All I saw was the beach vendors collecting the bits of trash around "their beach", but never did I see an effort from them to clean any other common area of the beach. At Nai Harn, I saw a number of vendors chucking rubbish onto the already growing rubbish piles when it suited them.

If these so called vendors that whine they don't have anything else to do for income, I suggest contacting their local authorities and inquire about a job cleaning up the same beaches that they were working illegally on that now look like ***************.

• Like 1

This is from Yahoo answers: Prostitution has been illegal in Thailand since 1960. The prohibition is, however, not strictly enforced. [/size]

The "Entertainment Places Act of 1966", still in effect today, makes it possible for Thais to render "special services". This is done, for example, by establishing such places as massage parlors where men come and look at women, who are sitting separated by a glass wall, and can pick and choose whom they want. The women come to the men's hotel room and massage them, but, in reality do more than that. It is usually left for the customer to decide what kind of special service he really wants, and because of that such establishments are able to avoid being designated as (illegal) brothels. [/size]

This act was designed to pave the way for brothels to be legalized under the guise of massage parlours, bars, night-clubs, tea-houses, etc. [/size]

The "Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act of 1996" outlawed the hiring of prostitutes under the age of 18, as well as people associating in prostitution establishments for the purpose of prostitution; the latter provision does not appear to be enforced.[/size]

Would that be fair

Wiki is edited by uniformed sources. Prostitution is illegal here, period. Back when they posted crime statistics here in Phuket there were arrests every month for it. What does the American Bar Association know about Thai law? Sorry, but you are wrong and so is your source.

We will have to agree to disagree. However the point I was using prostitution as an example of...

Would it be fair to arrest foreigners who pay a bar fine to take a prostitute home?

And the nominee companies holding land, should they have their investments confiscated, homes demolished?

We will have to agree to disagree. However the point I was using prostitution as an example of...

Would it be fair to arrest foreigners who pay a bar fine to take a prostitute home?

And the nominee companies holding land, should they have their investments confiscated, homes demolished?

Comparing apples to oranges. Most bars are on private land. The bar fine system is not illegal as I stated in my post about prositution being illegal and they are on private land. Homes owned under nominee companies are also private land. Neither is using public land for private profit which is the problem being addresses by the army.

Comparing apples to oranges. Most bars are on private land. The bar fine system is not illegal as I stated in my post about prositution being illegal and they are on private land. Homes owned under nominee companies are also private land. Neither is using public land for private profit which is the problem being addresses by the army.

The NCPO are not only investigating public land for private profit.

Oh Dear Let me try again..... I am using the examples as ILLUSTRATIONS of my point . Lot's of illegality here all the time, ( most ) everyone does it Paying pimps , paying accountants to use their family as nominees ,etc etc etc etc etc

so is it fair when suddenly laws are suddenly enforced with draconian punishments?

Oh Dear Let me try again..... I am using the examples as ILLUSTRATIONS of my point . Lot's of illegality here all the time, ( most ) everyone does it Paying pimps , paying accountants to use their family as nominees ,etc etc etc etc etc

so is it fair when suddenly laws are suddenly enforced with draconian punishments?

It's a bit unfair if some laws are suddenly enforced and others aren't

The thing is do we really want all laws suddenly enforced....aren't a lot of us here due to the relaxed lifestyle and being able to do a lot of things we couldn't do at home?

^ Thank you... My point is plenty of foreigners enjoys the lax enforcement for themselves, but have no sympathy for these people now out of work, and homes, Probably about 100 people, at least lived behind their businesses.

What really backs up my theory this is a war on the poor is about 1 k north (I just posted these on another pic thread but will here too;) The Banyon tree has about 100 meters of the beach blocked off for it's usage, no entrance signs on the public road blocking access and has several small restaurants operating and sunbeds for its guests.

post-179390-0-01662000-1408438489_thumb. post-179390-0-49010200-1408438491_thumb.

And yes, this is my idea of a great place to vacation post-179390-0-95085400-1408438485_thumb.

But then again about 2 k north of Banyan Tree, tear down is commencing of the private, small businesses..

post-179390-0-22296200-1408438602_thumb.

Edited by EBlair48

Those serving huts are on the sand. The path and signs are attempts to block access albeit do nothing of the kind as one can walk throug scrub to the left or right. However the buildings 2 k to the north being torn down today are behind the treeline, too. So was the ReggaeBbar and the line of restaurants to the north.

Why does Banyan get to privatize that area, but not others?

Those serving huts are on the sand. The path and signs are attempts to block access albeit do nothing of the kind as one can walk throug scrub to the left or right. However the buildings 2 k to the north being torn down today are behind the treeline, too. So was the ReggaeBbar and the line of restaurants to the north.

Why does Banyan get to privatize that area, but not others?

Because it's private land. They obviously are legal or they would be gone. Not preferable treatment here.

I might add they provide jobs and pay taxes.

Nikki beach was your target last time and they uave been proven to be on private land also.

Stop turning this into a class thing.

• Like 2

^ Thank you... My point is plenty of foreigners enjoys the lax enforcement for themselves, but have no sympathy for these people now out of work, and homes, Probably about 100 people, at least lived behind their businesses.

What really backs up my theory this is a war on the poor is about 1 k north (I just posted these on another pic thread but will here too;) The Banyon tree has about 100 meters of the beach blocked off for it's usage, no entrance signs on the public road blocking access and has several small restaurants operating and sunbeds for its guests.

attachicon.gifPrivate 1.JPG attachicon.gifPrivate 2.JPG

And yes, this is my idea of a great place to vacation attachicon.gifElite No Problem.JPG

But then again about 2 k north of Banyan Tree, tear down is commencing of the private, small businesses..

attachicon.gifBang Tao Aug 19 041.JPG

Sorry, I still don't feel sorry for any of them. I lease my house, I have a wife that I've been with for 5 and a half years. I have a proper visa. They did not have proper land titles and they were using public land as their own. Can't you understand that? Why feel sorry for people that knew what they were doing was illegal? I still wonder what ever happened to the Tiger Disco fire case where people died. I'm guessing they paid to make it go away?

I suppose its possible Banyan Tree PLC own right up to the sand line, as it was all one giant tin mine taken over by them, but more transparency is needed as to the actions being taken in situations like this. Otherwise it gives rise o a "them and us" problem. Certainly Reggae bar and all the little joints further up do not have a leg to stand on, and while some were discreet, others slashed and burned and reaped what they sowed.

And yes, this is my idea of a great place to vacation attachicon.gifElite No Problem.JPG

Sorry, I still don't feel sorry for any of them. I lease my house, I have a wife that I've been with for 5 and a half years. I have a proper visa. They did not have proper land titles and they were using public land as their own. Can't you understand that? Why feel sorry for people that knew what they were doing was illegal? I still wonder what ever happened to the Tiger Disco fire case where people died. I'm guessing they paid to make it go away?

And if the local Or Bor Whores sanction beach vendors with permits, and I know for a fact they do as I applied for one myself no too long ago, ( story in corruption there, too...) then how is one to know it is illegal?

These vendors should initiate a class action suit, except all courts are under martial law now, so.... no options.

It is a recipe for insurrection.

And if the local Or Bor Whores sanction beach vendors with permits, and I know for a fact they do as I applied for one myself no too long ago, ( story in corruption there, too...) then how is one to know it is illegal?

These vendors should initiate a class action suit, except all courts are under martial law now, so.... no options.

It is a recipe for insurrection.

If you don't know the beach to the high water mark is the King's land, then you must not know much about Thailand. I was always pissed off about it and complained to locals about it, no one cared, they were happy just using and trashing the land for their profit. Now, Som Num Na! Karma can be quick here in Thailand. Best to do what you know is right, not what you may get way with.

Edited by Jimi007