Portable home/room heaters, what kind, where to buy in CM?

muskoka

I don't want to get caught short again this year in case we have another extended very cold spell.

Some comments...

I am looking to buy 3,

2 for my home, and at least one for the inlaws

- portable fan type that can be easily moved room to room

- fluid)-filled (oil?) that are more stationary for a central room

IMO cheaper is not usually better. Cheap heaters usually (or often) consume too much electricity, (false economy) and do not last all that long

Thinking that some stores may have "pre-season" sales, but perhaps that is "western" thinking

World weather is changing so much that it is not inconceivable that we get even colder cold-season weather than in the past.

Just looking for input,

thanks!

Doug

The last extended cold period that I remember in the city of Chiang Mai, was one whole week back in 1991. I actually had to wear long trousers and a sweater morning, noon and night for 7 days!

Exactly. There is no such thing as an extended cold spell in Chiang Mai. Last "cold season" I wore my jacket once.

• Like 2

Some of us are not as well-insulated as others here on the forum. Last "winter" was quite uncomfortable for me. Alas, no heater here.

Oh, but for those who think I'm a bit wimpy, tell us how many days you've turned on the air conditioning in your house during the warmer months. As for me, I have a unit in my bedroom, but in 4 years have never felt the need to use it.

• Like 1

Oh, but for those who think I'm a bit wimpy, tell us how many days you've turned on the air conditioning in your house during the warmer months. As for me, I have a unit in my bedroom, but in 4 years have never felt the need to use it.

If I lived alone I would rarely use A/C -- maybe 5 days out of the year. But the Thais in my house just can't live without A/C. So I'm outnumbered. wink.png

• Like 1

I'm with the OP on this one. And I think his "specs" sound really good.

The bone chilling cold of last year really created havoc with my arthritis. Hubby just thinks I'm kidding about wanting a good, Michigan-style wood stove installed in the condo.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Makes no difference how good it is as you can see extended cold spells do not get that low or last that long here.

irregardless of what you get if I was you I would start looking now. When the weather gets to the point where some people feel they need them they will already be sold out. In fact I am going to talk to the wife about one for her mother. I doubt they will go on sale unless there are ones left over after the winter.

I bought one of those cheaper, portable air con units that you roll from room to room. There is an exhaust hose on the back that you have to direct to the outside of the house. Here is some things I learned

1. Put the unit outside and blow hot air into the house. (Use as a heater).

2. I hang my clothes inside a small shed and dry them quick with it. ( Use as a clothes dryer)

3. Dehumidify a room with it and dry out your damp furniture in the wet season. (Dehumidifier)

4. put your wet dishes on a rack at the hose outlet and dry/inhibit mold and bacteria. (Dish dryer)..

5. Good for drying out beef jerky

6. Keep your bathroom dry and mold free..(Direct the hose in there for an hour)

The only thing it does not do well at is cooling down the room as an air conditioner !!!

Perhaps a very small room...if the temperature is not over 90 Farenheit.

Edited by slipperylobster

Global House is you best bet. HomePro second. They may not be in staock as yet and they go fast.

I bought an Alba that is a fan, heater and mist fan. Works pretty ok. I have a large living area with a high ceiling. That and the ceiling fans on low worked quite well.

• Like 1

Right on, Mr. Brad. For a time, we lived in a home in Michigan that was a passive-solar home, built from a plan developed by University of Minnesota. The main living area was built atop a bed of rocks, fist-sized rocks, with a dark colored, ceramic-tile floor. It was our first experience with living in a home with ceramic-tile floors and we grew to love the ease of maintenance. The house faced south, with a huge expanse of windows. The low winter sun would fall on the ceramic tile, heating the floor, with heat stored in the bed of rocks, to be slowly released. At night we pulled thickly padded shades over the windows to prevent heat loss.

Also, there was a fireplace that actually was a woodstove, with airducts that ran into the bed of rocks, heating them, too.

There were several other really clever features designed into the house. It was a beautiful home. All this energy saving technology was done without any pumps or special equipment -- just clever use of materials and design -- all with a view to keeping the home warm and cozy. Similarly, the Thai people design their living spaces to be cool and retain coldness when the air heats up. Is it any wonder we're miserable in these living spaces during cold weather?

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Home Pro on Hang Dong Rd now has a combo heater/room-fan/mist-humidifier in stock.

Astina Model AC-013 MH/A for 6,000 baht. Image is model AC 004W but looks the same. Website http://www.astinathailand.com/default.aspx?lang=EN

s_ac004%20w.jpg

Pricy but works well. I bought one, now looking for a couple plain heaters. Operating Manual (Thai only) with images

http://shop.thaiepay.com/shopdetail/675/pdf/Ac013.pdf

The mist-fan may be good for the next hot season, no AC in my home office room (3rd bdrm)

Doug

Home Pro on Hang Dong Rd now has a combo heater/room-fan/mist-humidifier in stock.

Astina Model AC-013 MH/A for 6,000 baht. Image is model AC 004W but looks the same. Website http://www.astinathailand.com/default.aspx?lang=EN

s_ac004%20w.jpg

Pricy but works well. I bought one, now looking for a couple plain heaters. Operating Manual (Thai only) with images

http://shop.thaiepay.com/shopdetail/675/pdf/Ac013.pdf

The mist-fan may be good for the next hot season, no AC in my home office room (3rd bdrm)

Doug

Good on you for scoring one of these. I remember last year is was nigh on impossible to find heaters of any sort anywhere. Those that were in stock were snapped up during a cold spell and the only option (At the time) was for them to order you one from BKK. Waiting time to delivery.....approx 6 weeks facepalm.gif I just put on more clothes till it warmed up;