Non Imm O 400 K Needed?

Hi guys,

I know that this topic has probably come up on the board many times, but I haven't been able to really find the answer I am looking for.

I am married to a Thai lady, and we have been married for about 1.5 years. We are currently living in Canada together but she would like to go back. I don't really want to go back to doing monthly visa runs so I have to look for other options.

My question is, is it possible to get a non-immigrant o without the 400K in the bank? I have a mixed understanding on this.

Some peole seem to imply that this is only necessary to get a one-year extension, while others suggest that it is indeed a requirement to get just the visa.

I don't mind making trips every three months, so what I am shooting for is a multiple entry non O.

Can anyone offer any insight?

Thanks for all the help!

Hi guys,

I know that this topic has probably come up on the board many times, but I haven't been able to really find the answer I am looking for.

I am married to a Thai lady, and we have been married for about 1.5 years. We are currently living in Canada together but she would like to go back. I don't really want to go back to doing monthly visa runs so I have to look for other options.

My question is, is it possible to get a non-immigrant o without the 400K in the bank? I have a mixed understanding on this.

Some peole seem to imply that this is only necessary to get a one-year extension, while others suggest that it is indeed a requirement to get just the visa.

I don't mind making trips every three months, so what I am shooting for is a multiple entry non O.

Can anyone offer any insight?

Thanks for all the help!

If you are legally married in Thailand you should have no problem with getting a multi entry non immigrant o visa.

I am a UK citizen, using the Thai consulate in Hull I just had to provide a translated copy of my Thai marriage certificate and pay the fee. received the relevant visa within two days of sending off my passport.

yes, but you can't get a one year extension without 400k. but why are you moving to thailand if you don't even have 400k?

yes, but you can't get a one year extension without 400k. but why are you moving to thailand if you don't even have 400k?

I lived in Thailand for 10 years working both legally and not.

It's not that I don't have 400K, it's more the fact that I don't want to have 400K sitting in a Thai bank account doing absolutely nothing for me except giving me a one-year extension. I leave Thailand frequently and 3 months at a time doesn't bother me.

I may indeed just get a work permit again, but for the time being I just wanted to get back without having to leave monthly.

I would rather get a work permit later on and only have to show 50,000 per month than to have to keep 400K in a bank account.

Thanks for the help !!!

I will go apply for it shortly

It's not that I don't have 400K, it's more the fact that I don't want to have 400K sitting in a Thai bank account doing absolutely nothing for me except giving me a one-year extension. I leave Thailand frequently and 3 months at a time doesn't bother me.

I may indeed just get a work permit again, but for the time being I just wanted to get back without having to leave monthly.

I would rather get a work permit later on and only have to show 50,000 per month than to have to keep 400K in a bank account.

Thanks for the help !!!

:D I would "kindly" suggest that the 400K won't be "sitting in a Thai bank account doing absolutely nothing". Well, at least mine isn't. :D There are everyday, every month expenses that have to be met. What are you going to live on, if not that 400K "sitting in the bank". :o

Thanks for the help !!!

You don't need to keep the 400K in the bank here indefinitely either per what others with that Visa have posted, it just needs to be there for the time it takes to get your visa approved. Others have posted of issues where it was there when they applied but then they spent a bunch on things like living, houses or whatever and didn't have it when they were going to get the Visa issued.

So as others have posted, it won't just be sitting there all year, just at the time application through receiving the visa which I think is about 40 days or so.

Dan

1. Your age is a factor - if over 50 you may have more options.

2. Few consulates are keen on the issue of multi entry non immigrant O visas - probably your home country and small Consulate with personal service is the best option. Penang is the most consistent Consulate in the local area and for first application they now seem to prefer issue single entry in the hope that you can/well extend your stay.

3. Your bank deposit should earn normal savings account interest - which is less the 1% at present - but it, as said, can be used as needed and topped up again before the next extension of stay. For normal use there should not be any problem from immigration - but for the person taking most of the money out the day after first visit to immigration it will likely result in a delay until it is returned before the extension is approved.