The Beach Rd walkway- we told you so.

thaibeachlovers

the seats are missed, now we cant sit and watch the pickpocketers working any more

In all my years going to pattaya I have NEVER had anyone try pick my pockets, not there not anywhere. I have never heard of that either. So I call bullshit! Go back to the PI if you want to watch that.

I suggest you go down to Soi 12 / Beach Rd. area for a few nights and watch the group of lady-boys, one of them a fat, ugly monster, pick-pocketing Russians and Indians daily. Right in plain view of everybody. Show starts around 23.00 or a bit later. Might need to e a bit patient, some days they have been doing a runner from the cops already. No pick-pockets in Pattaya, only in PI....???? Suggest you read the news or google "pick-pocket, Pattaya". True they go after easy targets, they never bothered me, as Indians and Russians are much better targets. As far as Beach Rd. in general. I have seen a huge increase of low-lives, drug dealers, drunks and other exotic creatures all along the beach the last 12 months. Quite a sight,watching a bunch of single male Indians negotiating with an (1) overweight palm-lady every few meters! Guess, sooner or later this will all be stopped to make this a real family destination. MS>

True. Best that one never become complacent about the possibility of being pick-pocketed here in our beloved city ****, esp if you're approached by any ladyboys.

**** Pattaya bashing word replaced by moderator

First time I've agreed with you on anything LOL.

I've always run or crossed the road to avoid groups of ladyboys when going back to the hotel at cock crow after an enjoyable night on Walking Street.

However, I always assume I'm a target of pickpockets wherever I am, from London to Penang and all points inbetween, so I take precautions.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the sandbags arent temporary, they are the umbrella peoples response to the drainage problem, and the shame of it is that whole wall could have been made a foot higher and provided seating right along the beach without hampering the council markets and at the same time made the umbrella people happy and gotten rid of the sand bags. it could still be done.

While I agree with you, I'm not talking about those sandbags, rather the huge ones on the beach at the north end.

the seats are missed, now we cant sit and watch the pickpocketers working any more

In all my years going to pattaya I have NEVER had anyone try pick my pockets, not there not anywhere. I have never heard of that either. So I call bullshit! Go back to the PI if you want to watch that.

I suggest you go down to Soi 12 / Beach Rd. area for a few nights and watch the group of lady-boys, one of them a fat, ugly monster, pick-pocketing Russians and Indians daily. Right in plain view of everybody. Show starts around 23.00 or a bit later. Might need to e a bit patient, some days they have been doing a runner from the cops already. No pick-pockets in Pattaya, only in PI....???? Suggest you read the news or google "pick-pocket, Pattaya". True they go after easy targets, they never bothered me, as Indians and Russians are much better targets. As far as Beach Rd. in general. I have seen a huge increase of low-lives, drug dealers, drunks and other exotic creatures all along the beach the last 12 months. Quite a sight,watching a bunch of single male Indians negotiating with an (1) overweight palm-lady every few meters! Guess, sooner or later this will all be stopped to make this a real family destination. MS>

Quote: Guess, sooner or later this will all be stopped to make this a real family destination. MS>

Heaven forbid! There must be a thousand "family friendly destinations" on this planet. Pattaya is (and must remain) a party-town. Period ! I would hate to see the day, when Pattaya turns into "family friendly destination" number 1001.

Cheers.

I "like" this a million times.

• Like 1

<the numerous planted palm trees blocked the view of the sea>

What view of the sea? It's all beach umbrellas.

??? Are you a "little people"? When you walk along Beach Road, you look above the umbrellas because the elevation is different. You look above the wall-to-wall faded umbrellas.

Are you anti "little people"? Don't we have the right to see the sea as much as taller people?

the sandbags arent temporary, they are the umbrella peoples response to the drainage problem, and the shame of it is that whole wall could have been made a foot higher and provided seating right along the beach without hampering the council markets and at the same time made the umbrella people happy and gotten rid of the sand bags. it could still be done.

While I agree with you, I'm not talking about those sandbags, rather the huge ones on the beach at the north end.

right, also at the south end and various other places now, I guess they will eventually cover the whole beach if they continue to use the beach for storm water runoff

right, also at the south end and various other places now, I guess they will eventually cover the whole beach if they continue to use the beach for storm water runoff

If a problem gets bad enough to affect revenue streams, City Hall usually does something about it, though whatever it does will be nitpicked to death here. Indeed the whole Promenade was primarily a response to the intolerable traffic situation on Beach Rd., esp during the festivals (which are quite a nice earner for the city). (I can't be as explicit as I'd normally be.)

But the Thai definition of "bad enough" typically differs from the farang definition. Pattaya City Hall and Santa Barbara City Hall think differently and have quite a different tax base.

So, we'll see. smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

Some time ago there was a guy in the motoring forum who said that he never had seen a road accident in Thailand in all the years he had stayed here . Was that you by any chance ?

• Like 2

I've always run or crossed the road to avoid groups of ladyboys when going back to the hotel at cock crow after an enjoyable night on Walking Street.

However, I always assume I'm a target of pickpockets wherever I am, from London to Penang and all points inbetween, so I take precautions.

Same, the only place that I will let my guard down is in Singapore.

• Like 1

Quote: Guess, sooner or later this will all be stopped to make this a real family destination. MS>

Heaven forbid! There must be a thousand "family friendly destinations" on this planet. Pattaya is (and must remain) a party-town. Period ! I would hate to see the day, when Pattaya turns into "family friendly destination" number 1001.

Cheers.

Ever heard of sarcasm. smile.png Been here 20 + yrs. and surely don't ever expect this place to become a family destination at all. For now it has become an Indian/Chinese group destination with people that probably have not very high expectations of their vacation destination. Have a nice Sunday. MS>

If you have never heard of anyone getting pick pocketed in Pattaya then I'm calling bullshit on you EVER being in Pattaya.

Go onto any online Pattaya newspaper and look through their archives and you will find thousands of incidents of pick pocketing in Pattaya.

I visit Pattaya very rarely with my family and I have had my wallet lifted and my wife had her phone lifted, also just off the top of my head i know of 4 other people who have had their wallets lifted.

The 2 favourite places for pick pockets are on the Baht buses and on Beach Road, which is the area that slygeeza is referring to..

What do you do for an encore, deny that the jet ski scam exists?

As you obviously know BA about Pattaya, the baht buses have nothing to do with the walkway, and the pickpockets are the katoeys that congregate at the south end of Beach Rd and are on the land side of the road, not on the walkway.

Besides, this thread is about the walkway, not about pickpockets.

Anyway, any tourist that walks around with their wallet easily accessible can't complain if they lose it. That is a worldwide problem and nothing to do with this thread. If you want to go off topic, start your own thread.

Are you completely off your trolley or did you not understand at all what my post was about.

I was answering the post by 'lapd' where he mentions that he had never heard of anyone being pickpocketed ANYWHERE in Pattaya.

If you can't understand what a post is about you should not try to answer it in case you end up looking like an arrogant tool.

Cheers.

Ever heard of sarcasm. smile.png Been here 20 + yrs. and surely don't ever expect this place to become a family destination at all. For now it has become an Indian/Chinese group destination with people that probably have not very high expectations of their vacation destination. Have a nice Sunday. MS>

Unfortunately there are plenty of idiots that would like to make Pattaya a "family" destination, so anyone that says that is taken seriously.

Post deleted to allow posting.

Pattaya beach front is greatly improved - it's a pleasure to walk end to end.....Construction is my game, and I couldn't help but notice the poor workmanship. Block paving on sand is ok when your doing a drive but when it backs up on the beach/? It just doesn't work...the sand bags are delaying the inevitable....

• Like 1

<There's enough shade, provided by the remaining old trees and the new palm trees.>

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Have you even been there??????????

I live here year-round, unlike yourself, and go down Beach Rd. every few days. Emoticons don't make a case for you. Tourists enjoying the promenade make mine--the promenade you and the other naysayers divined would herald the fulfillment of the ancient prophecies (dating from the Pattaya Mail's Letters To The Editor, long before there was a thaivisa.com) of Pattaya's DOOM.

post-14882-0-79971700-1387010962_thumb.j

<Thai construction is never permanent for job security reasons. Previous promenades also exhibited similar defects.>

That's the most pathetic excuse I've ever heard for shoddy workmanship. On that basis we can expect Central to fall down soon.

Just because previous efforts were poorly done is no excuse for this one falling apart already.

Aren't we all high and mighty? You've completely misunderstood the point. It's hardly to make excuses--that's not my place at all. No, I'm merely pointing out your own problem of unrealistic expectations that makes you so miserable and whine constantly. You've come to the wrong place now, as people here generally approve of the new promenade--though of course not in every detail.

There's just lots to complain about when you live in a Third World country expecting Santa Barbara at Chang prices. Here's the place to take your encyclopedia of complaints and get the excuses and reasons:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/751902-banglamung-officially-opens-complaint-center/

I'm sure they would love to hear from you!

<The aerobics area benefited few and other facilities abound>

That's so unbelievably untrue. Loads of people were doing aerobics every day, and where are all those other free facilities ( in your dreams )

Yep, watched aerobics there many an evening while having a cold Singh and a quick bite to build energy for my own aerobics on Soi 6. smile.png Ah--maybe 30 people? Infinitesimal number compared to the millions of tourists and the drivers on Beach Rd. enjoying greater convenience now.

Plenty of other facilities as I noted, true Parking lots (Lotus has aerobics), gyms, apt. buildings, condo buildings, exercise equipment sold in all dept. stores and malls, offices after work, and of course homes. Me, I work out at home w/ very minimal equipment and stay in pretty good shape. Hundreds of great workouts on youtube. Where there's a will, there's a way.

That was a convenient spot for a few people, as I noted, but it wasn't a perpetual "free" entitlement such as guaranteed in the nanny state whence your thinking derives.

Sorry couldn't address your other points specifically as the granny rules have tightened and I at least must adhere strictly to the forum quoting facility. But, you didn't make much of a case there either.

Your point really boils down to this: you predicted long ago that you wouldn't like the new promenade. Now you're merely gloating on the forum that your prediction about yourself has come true. Well, but--it would, now wouldn't it? Good for you! Are we done?

Edited by JSixpack

Pattaya beach front is greatly improved - it's a pleasure to walk end to end.....Construction is my game, and I couldn't help but notice the poor workmanship. Block paving on sand is ok when your doing a drive but when it backs up on the beach/? It just doesn't work...the sand bags are delaying the inevitable....

It's already collapsing. Given that nothing ever gets repaired in Pattaya ( the pavements have been broken for at least 25 years ) in a year or so it'll be impassable.

Many of the pavers around the trees have been stolen already.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

If you have never heard of anyone getting pick pocketed in Pattaya then I'm calling bullshit on you EVER being in Pattaya.

Go onto any online Pattaya newspaper and look through their archives and you will find thousands of incidents of pick pocketing in Pattaya.

I visit Pattaya very rarely with my family and I have had my wallet lifted and my wife had her phone lifted, also just off the top of my head i know of 4 other people who have had their wallets lifted.

The 2 favourite places for pick pockets are on the Baht buses and on Beach Road, which is the area that slygeeza is referring to..

LOL...so you read about it and that is how you know? I've been going to Pattaya for over 10 years. Thanks for the laugh Mr. "I visit Pattaya rarely".

I have worked /lived in Pattaya for 10 years now and have observed the transformation of this important community "park" going through three changes. I must admit, I was not happy this year when the "extra" lane was added to Beach Road when there were a few moments when the traffic was bumper to bumper (Friday evenings...Saturday and Sundays after 11am). There was already another lane that could have been used (on the East side) for traffic but the motor bike rentals and vendors occupied this lane. (too bad this was initiated before the coup). Because of the widening of Beach Road and for better security (according to city officials) , the old indigenous trees that dotted the Beach Rd promenade (and were important for preventing erosion) were removed without much thought.

Despite this fault, I must admit I like the new lay-out and here are the reasons: 1) Wider walk area to freely jog or walk on instead of the narrow zig-zag lane that would trap in the water when it rained 2) Nice to be able to observe the sea from the road, or along the walk-way where as before the numerous planted palm trees blocked the view of the sea 3) because of the more open space of the Beach Road promenade and less dark areas for "scum-bags" to hide, Thais and tourists feel more secure and use it at night time...walking as a family, picnicking, or just freely sitting and relaxing.

True, there are less benches to sit on. True, less shade. True, less "scum-bags" hanging out in the area.

I have said this on a forum before...sad the Pattaya police department cannot have walking policeman patrolling this important tourist area. This would keep the locals from riding their motor bikes on the Beach Road walkway; lower the crime (sorry City Hall, those security cameras do not prevent crime...they film the crime--if the camera is working); and the walking patrolman would give everyone a good impression of the police department. The only time I see them in action is when they are stopping the poor Thai on their motor bike demanding 200 baht.

Adding lanes does not help when you have that bottleneck at the corner of walking street. They need to make it baht busses and motorcycles only. No big busses or other vehicles allowed. Those big busses take up 2 lanes trying to make that turn and imho they are the main source of the congestion down there.

• Like 1

Some time ago there was a guy in the motoring forum who said that he never had seen a road accident in Thailand in all the years he had stayed here . Was that you by any chance ?

I have seen very few. Considering how they drive it still amazes me there aren't a lot more. Most of the time it's farangs in accidents. Know at least 2 guys who were killed in motorcycle accidents in Pattaya.

Some people just have "L" stamped on their forehead with a giant "Please pick my pockets" sign on them I guess. Like I said. I have NEVER had anyone try pick my pockets in Pattaya and don't know anyone that has. Been going there and living there on and off for 10 years. In Manila/AC I have people try almost every day. So anyone who thinks it's common in Pattaya must think it's like the PI which it most DEFINITELY is not.

I have had almost the exact opposite happen. I've had a thousand baht note fall out of my pocket unknown to me and had a Thai pick it up and run up to me to give it back. I've heard of that happening to other people as well. Thais don't want to steal your money. They want you to give it to them! So a jet ski scam is ok to them but stealing your money out of your pocket is very bad.

I've had those Ladyboys that are always out there near Nana in Bkk try pick my pockets in the evening. Everyone knows about them. Just do a wide semi-circle around them and do the "I know what your up to" body language stance!

I walk by the ladyboys on Walking street near Mikes Mall all the time and they never bother me. I know there are some shady ones that hang around near Klang late at night but I'm rarely down there at that time. When I am they generally leave me alone. Again, don't act like a stupid farang tourist with no street sense and they won't bother you.

In all my years in Thailand there is one thing I can tell you for certain. Some people are just magnets for attracting trouble, problems, grief upon themselves and don't belong in Thailand. Thais seem to be able to smell that kind of weakness on people.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

I have seen very few. Considering how they drive it still amazes me there aren't a lot more. Most of the time it's farangs in accidents. Know at least 2 guys who were killed in motorcycle accidents in Pattaya.

Some people just have "L" stamped on their forehead with a giant "Please pick my pockets" sign on them I guess. Like I said. I have NEVER had anyone try pick my pockets in Pattaya and don't know anyone that has. Been going there and living there on and off for 10 years. In Manila/AC I have people try almost every day. So anyone who thinks it's common in Pattaya must think it's like the PI which it most DEFINITELY is not.

I've had those Ladyboys that are always out there near Nana in Bkk try pick my pockets in the evening. Everyone knows about them. Just do a wide semi-circle around them and do the "I know what your up to" body language stance!

I walk by the ladyboys on Walking street near Mikes Mall all the time and they never bother me. I know there are some shady ones that hang around near Klang late at night but I'm rarely down there at that time. When I am they generally leave me alone. Again, don't act like a stupid farang tourist with no street sense and they won't bother you.

In all my years in Thailand there is one thing I can tell you for certain. Some people are just magnets for attracting trouble, problems, grief upon themselves and don't belong in Thailand. Thais seem to be able to smell that kind of weakness on people.

Seen a few accidents ?

I think the average is almost 3 deaths a day in Pattaya only, with almost 30.000 deaths a year in Thailand.

I think the average is almost 3 deaths a day in Pattaya only, with almost 30.000 deaths a year in Thailand.

You thought wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_Thailand_by_year

Deaths per 100,000 is about the same as the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year

When you take into account a far higher percentage drive motorcycles in Thailand and considering how much more chaotic the traffic can be with much poorer infrastructure be that should tell you something.

Edited by lapd

LOL...so you read about it and that is how you know? I've been going to Pattaya for over 10 years. Thanks for the laugh Mr. "I visit Pattaya rarely".

Yes rarely but I can guarantee that I have spent a lot longer in Pattaya than you have.

Now, if you go back and read my post you will see that my experiences with pickpockets in Pattaya was not limited to reading about it.

I said in my earlier post (as have other posters), do a little research about pickpockets and Pattaya (Google is your friend).

I also stand by what I said earlier;

The new beach walkway is a big improvement, but as the saying goes " you can't please all of the people all of the time" although the majority seem to agree that apart from a few minor glitches it is good.

BUT, are the majority people that only looked at it as they drive by in their AC cars, or is it people that actually used it before? If the former, their opinion is meaningless as for actually using it. I used to walk on it in the day time, but if it's sunny it's too hot now, and the seats are too hot to sit on.

It used to be full of people sitting opposite Mike's during the day, but they are all gone now. So who's it all for?

• Like 1

The new beach walkway is a big improvement, but as the saying goes " you can't please all of the people all of the time" although the majority seem to agree that apart from a few minor glitches it is good.

BUT, are the majority people that only looked at it as they drive by in their AC cars, or is it people that actually used it before? If the former, their opinion is meaningless as for actually using it. I used to walk on it in the day time, but if it's sunny it's too hot now, and the seats are too hot to sit on.

It used to be full of people sitting opposite Mike's during the day, but they are all gone now. So who's it all for?

It's for everyone except you, but it gets most use during high season. This is the low season. The promenade doesn't have to be full of people sitting around at all times (one of those classic TV fallacies) to be good and useful. This past high season it was certainly full of strollers and many people sitting, one way or the other--contrary to your predictions but not mine. A lot of ladies who used to sit on the benches now sit or stand under the palm trees. No problem!

I showed you a pic above taken on a sunny day. Enough shade from the palm trees shown there. Now, if you're so exceptionally delicate, you can just bring along an umbrella. smile.png

And if you read through the responses above, you find promenade walkers who do like walking on it better now than before.

And you're obviously totally unfamiliar w/ Pattaya traffic as you think everyone drives cars. Duh. Most people ride motorbikes. And there have always been FAR more motorcyclists (and cars) driving down Beach Rd. than walkers and sitters on the promenade. You've never answered the question why it's less important that motorcyclists should sweat in hot traffic jams, and automobile drivers have to sit running their AC, both wasting time and burning up fossil fuels (GLOBAL WARMING!) than your sitting in the shade in your favorite spot under your favorite tree watching the suffering.

Do the riders & drivers notice that now they don't have to sit in the hot sun in traffic jams now nearly so often? YES. This is MUCH BETTER in that regard and most welcome. Deal with it.

Don't like the promenade, don't walk on it. Too bad for you. We can't help you. I gave you the address of the Banglamung Complaint Center already. No matter how many times you repeat your same ol' complaints--which started the moment the new promenade broke ground--most people are still going to like things better--overall--now than they were before. I forgot--have you found anyone to mostly agree with you? (Some of our most distinguished, hoary ol' doomsayers haven't yet appeared, however.)

Are we done yet? Need to repeat the same thing again? Next: there used to be sitters sitting diagonally across from Mike's Shopping Mall. smile.png We gotta go through every 20 meters of the promenade now? Seems to me we have a case of BROKEN RECORD SYNDROME here.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Well yesterday the WALK around the mikes/royal garden area of the new walkway was positively dark with the shade provided, try it. The people there seemed to by quite happy with it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Yes rarely but I can guarantee that I have spent a lot longer in Pattaya than you have.

Now, if you go back and read my post you will see that my experiences with pickpockets in Pattaya was not limited to reading about it.

I said in my earlier post (as have other posters), do a little research about pickpockets and Pattaya (Google is your friend).

Well alrightey then. As long as you guarantee it....lol. Continue believing that since it seems to be an important thing to you for some strange reason. All the expats I know who live in Pattaya and have never been pickpocketed will get a laugh out of it. The "I know Pattaya and you don't" guys who think they have it all figured out even though they "rarely go there" are always fun to talk about.

Edited by lapd

Then who are those staying in 5 stars hotel like Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton just to name a few? Those cheap Charlie from India and china? I doubt so. Please enlighten us with your 20 years of experience in Pattaya.

Well alrightey then. As long as you guarantee it....lol. Continue believing that since it seems to be an important thing to you for some strange reason. All the expats I know who live in Pattaya and have never been pickpocketed will get a laugh out of it. The "I know Pattaya and you don't" guys who think they have it all figured out even though they "rarely go there" are always fun to talk about.

OK you win, there is no arguing with absolute stupidity and arrogance.

• Like 1

Then who are those staying in 5 stars hotel like Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton just to name a few? Those cheap Charlie from India and china? I doubt so. Please enlighten us with your 20 years of experience in Pattaya.

Because there are maybe 10 five star hotels, in a city with almost 1000 hotels and guesthouses, doesn't make it a 5 star destination

• Like 1