10 Million Baht Pattaya Underground Lottery & Gambling raid by Local Officials

Rimmer

10 Million Baht Pattaya Underground Lottery & Gambling raid by Local Officials

lottery-1.jpg
PATTAYA:--District Officers in conjunction with Royal Thai Navy Officers, conducted a raid on an address in East Pattaya on Friday afternoon, in search of a man, wanted on warrant, in connection with a 10 Million Baht Underground Lottery and Football Gambling Operation.

Armed with arrest warrant number 288/2557 dated 15th August 2014 and issued by the Pattaya Provincial Court, Banglamung District Officials, led by District Chief, Khun Sakchai, conducted a raid on a Whisky Shop in Soi Tanman. They were looking for Khun Thanin, the reported owner of the shop but were disappointed to see that he was not there.

Khun Yupin aged 35 was in charge of the shop and appeared unaware of any illegal activities occurring at the location.

- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/139740/10-million-baht-pattaya-underground-lottery-gambling-raid-by-local-officials/#sthash.GBlWau3n.dpuf

[pattayaone]2014-08-16[/pattayaone]

The underground lottery racket aka "numbers" is big time in Bangkok as well. It seems they allow people to play on credit and pay higher odds than the legal lottery. They only go up to four numbers I think I was told. My ex GF also said they pay the police but we always hear that when something illegal is going on. If it were to be believed, police would be driving fancy new cars. Point being, always look back to the 60's in the USA to see where Thailand is and try and take advantage of it as you know what the 70's were like. Invest in things that came to be in the 70's but don't currently exist in Thailand. 

One of the larger underground shops in Udon is directly across from where I eat my noodle soup.  Sometime late June, I noticed a lack of people entering/exiting the doors of the shop.  I inquired with the soup shop owner who I've known for 17 years.  She told me the shop was closed because of the coup......but customers could still make their bets.......if they used the side door.  

The next time I went for soup, I parked on the side street next to the shop....and sure enough, a steady stream of people, mostly on motorcycles, stopping for a pop-in and out to make their bets.

Thai Thai "numbers" game will be a hard game to stop. Almost everyone I know plays it, or rather played it. They played the 2 number lotto twice per month which had a much larger payoff than the govt. lottery and it was also available on credit.

Since the coup the army has been about looking, however most of the well connected shops have stopped selling and destroyed all of the evidence immediately after the coup. This is apparently not the case in Pattaya or Bangkok.