What Does It Mean?

Hi,

Some times when I come home and sitting at my desk my Rotti comes and "marks" the chair on which I am sitting :o

What does it mean???

I think he wants to show me that he does not accept me as a leader (dominance) and with his marking to show all that he is the boss.

Any ideas or explanations?

Thanks!

Gerd

hi

your explanation is very possible, but don't mistake 'dominance' with 'wannabe' dominant behaviour. a real dominant dog would not mark excessively, this is more seen with the ones who are insecure and want to climb higher in the pack/range. how is your relationship with him? does he make efforts in other situations to 'dominate' you as well? of course you have to forbid him strongly to mark at your chair or anywhere else in the house or at the house walls outside - this is your territory!

or is a female in heat around? then these things can happen as well... :o

hi

your explanation is very possible, but don't mistake 'dominance' with 'wannabe' dominant behaviour. a real dominant dog would not mark excessively, this is more seen with the ones who are insecure and want to climb higher in the pack/range. how is your relationship with him? does he make efforts in other situations to 'dominate' you as well? of course you have to forbid him strongly to mark at your chair or anywhere else in the house or at the house walls outside - this is your territory!

or is a female in heat around? then these things can happen as well... :o

Elfe,

thanks for your input.

No, he does not have any other dominant behaviour at all, we have a very good relationship.

But I think the outside markings in the garden are ok cause this is his territory which he protects.

But Rottweilers are trying it from time to time to climb higher in the rank, depending on their individual dominance drive.

Have a nice weekend!

Gerd

Hi,

Some times when I come home and sitting at my desk my Rotti comes and "marks" the chair on which I am sitting :D

What does it mean???

I think he wants to show me that he does not accept me as a leader (dominance) and with his marking to show all that he is the boss.

Any ideas or explanations?

Thanks!

Gerd

Hi Gerd,

I agree with that your rottie is in a way is looking where his boundaries are. How old is he now? Is he reaching maturity?

You say that there is no female in heat in the direct neighborhood, but he does mark the chair where you happened to sit on!

I would seriously look at the relationship between you and your (most beautiful; nice pic of him in the sea :D ) rottie. How does he react lately on given commands: immediately, hesistantly (even a split second, does he 'talk back'? Who initiates attention? How does he reacts when ordered of the sofa (if he's allowed on it in the first place) or aside away from the doorway? When you walk him on the lead, is there a bit more resistance then before, like he definitely wants to sniff the piece of grass? Just to give a few examples ....

Dogs go through life stages and, if he is reaching maturity, it is very possible he is trying to gain a higher position, meaning he is in a subtle way challanging his owner.

But even older dogs can still challange the position of their owner (or other dog). Ranks are dynamic. When the owner gets sloppy, because of whatever reason (illness, marriage problems, over-dose of love for the dog :o ) dogs will immediately notice. Some dogs won't bother too much, but others see their chances.

When that's the case with your rottie, just gently pull the strings and check your own consistency :D

Nienke