Border protest shuts down Aranyaprathet checkpoint

Lite Beer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thai border security stepped up checks on merchandises from Cambodia to sell at Talad Rong Kluea market after they seized huge volume of counterfeit brand-name merchandises hidden among cargoes the Cambodian traders declared as second hand clothes on Thursday.

Is this 'brand name' counterfeit merchandise ending up in Thai retail outlets or are the Khmers merely peddling the stuff at Rong Kluea market?

Since Cambodia has a relatively small population by comparison with Thailand, where does all this "used' clothing originate? The Sally Ann, NYC?

if you have never been there ( the Rongkluea Market) I don't blame you for not knowing. It's a very very weird universe on it's own.

All or MOST of these second hand clothes, shoes, socks, tees and Army&Hunter garments are FROM THE U.S.A.

After, inside the U.S.A., all sizes XXL to XXXXL have been sorted out (these sizes go to Africa, as the population there is taller), the rest gets shipped to 3rd world country shores, preferably Cambodia. There literally must be HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of PIECES of clothes leaving US shores EVERY MONTH, with destination Asia.

These clothes have been donated to charities inside the U.S. and then been handed along. The U.S.A. ship them to Cambodia all free for the Cambodian people. But the clothes never reach the people they are intended for.

Once in Cambodia, the "ruling few" SELL the donated for free clothes to middle men, the millions of clothes get sold by the weight , maybe even by "sea container" !!

When the clothes have finally reached the Thai second hand Rongkluea market, they have already passed through the hands of a few more "midlemen". So you can imagine the donated clothes now cost the poor people they were donated for, quite a bit of $$donkeydough$$. For example, a 2nd hand Levis sells for 20-40 THB, depending how many you buy. You can buy them by the tens or hundreds or thousands. All your needs can be handled, no problem.

Maybe in the place you live in Thailand, you may have noticed most clothes stalls on "night markets" sell 2nd hand gear. These people either buy, again, from middle men, who have bought from Rongkluea. Actually MOST 2nd hand clothes that are traded on inside Thailand have passed this market, only excluding those that families hand on as second hand after buying them new at Tesco's and BigC's.

The Rongklua Market ist a MUST HAVE SEEN destination for anyone who is interested in Asian culture and trade. It's probably one of the world's largest second hand clothes market. You need days to have seen it all.

Even as a Farang, one can buy some VERY RARE pieces ( if you discover them!!) , some stall owners there are willing to sell you one piece out of the thousands they stock, if you wish so. But don't expect a wholesale price, as they are used to trade in hundreds.

Maybe if you have ever watched traffic anywhere in Thailand, you will discover many young thai guys riding motosais who are wearing a black t-shirt, and on it's back it says "BARNETT's Clutches" and the Harley Eagle, I assume Barnett T-shirt owners must be America's largest donator group of 'em all . . . . alt=rolleyes.gif> as this Tee is a common view on Thai roads.

I hope you re happy now I got that explained a tad and bring you enlightment.

Complicated world....sometimes. facepalm.gif

Thai border security stepped up checks on merchandises from Cambodia to sell at Talad Rong Kluea market after they seized huge volume of counterfeit brand-name merchandises hidden among cargoes the Cambodian traders declared as second hand clothes on Thursday.

Is this 'brand name' counterfeit merchandise ending up in Thai retail outlets or are the Khmers merely peddling the stuff at Rong Kluea market?

Since Cambodia has a relatively small population by comparison with Thailand, where does all this "used' clothing originate? The Sally Ann, NYC?

if you have never been there ( the Rongkluea Market) I don't blame you for not knowing. It's a very very weird universe on it's own.

All or MOST of these second hand clothes, shoes, socks, tees and Army&Hunter garments are FROM THE U.S.A.

After, inside the U.S.A., all sizes XXL to XXXXL have been sorted out (these sizes go to Africa, as the population there is taller), the rest gets shipped to 3rd world country shores, preferably Cambodia. There literally must be HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of PIECES of clothes leaving US shores EVERY MONTH, with destination Asia.

These clothes have been donated to charities inside the U.S. and then been handed along. The U.S.A. ship them to Cambodia all free for the Cambodian people. But the clothes never reach the people they are intended for.

Once in Cambodia, the "ruling few" SELL the donated for free clothes to middle men, the millions of clothes get sold by the weight , maybe even by "sea container" !!

When the clothes have finally reached the Thai second hand Rongkluea market, they have already passed through the hands of a few more "midlemen". So you can imagine the donated clothes now cost the poor people they were donated for, quite a bit of $$donkeydough$$. For example, a 2nd hand Levis sells for 20-40 THB, depending how many you buy. You can buy them by the tens or hundreds or thousands. All your needs can be handled, no problem.

Maybe in the place you live in Thailand, you may have noticed most clothes stalls on "night markets" sell 2nd hand gear. These people either buy, again, from middle men, who have bought from Rongkluea. Actually MOST 2nd hand clothes that are traded on inside Thailand have passed this market, only excluding those that families hand on as second hand after buying them new at Tesco's and BigC's.

The Rongklua Market ist a MUST HAVE SEEN destination for anyone who is interested in Asian culture and trade. It's probably one of the world's largest second hand clothes market. You need days to have seen it all.

Even as a Farang, one can buy some VERY RARE pieces ( if you discover them!!) , some stall owners there are willing to sell you one piece out of the thousands they stock, if you wish so. But don't expect a wholesale price, as they are used to trade in hundreds.

Maybe if you have ever watched traffic anywhere in Thailand, you will discover many young thai guys riding motosais who are wearing a black t-shirt, and on it's back it says "BARNETT's Clutches" and the Harley Eagle, I assume Barnett T-shirt owners must be America's largest donator group of 'em all . . . . rolleyes.gif as this Tee is a common view on Thai roads.

I am posting this on Disinfo.com in the morning. This is priceless!

Maybe if you have ever watched traffic anywhere in Thailand, you will discover many young thai guys riding motosais who are wearing a black t-shirt, and on it's back it says "BARNETT's Clutches" and the Harley Eagle, I assume Barnett T-shirt owners must be America's largest donator group of 'em all . . . . rolleyes.gif as this Tee is a common view on Thai roads.

I am posting this on Disinfo.com in the morning. This is priceless!

would you please outline, which part of my story you think is wrong? Also the same poster who says that 90% of the goods on this market are NEW . . laugh.png how ridiculous this is . . . . . . . . he's probably NEVER been there

If you go up the back lanes at Rong Kluea market you will see hundreds of bails of clothing in storage or being broken down to have the clothes washed and ironed. The wife enquired about the cost of a bail and was told it was 10000 baht (2012). When asked what the make up of the contents of a bail would be the guy had no idea....or just wasn't saying.

The stuff is all donated to charity and is ex U.S.A.

Why would they send XXXXXL size clothes to Cambodia?

Look up my post and read again. There are no XXL and larger clothes to be found on the Rongkluea Market. They most probably gotten sorted out in the U.S.A. already and get sent to Nigeria/Ivory Coast/Liberia. People there are much taller . . . . XXL and up !!

Oooops, somebody already explained this toJeremy . .sorry for my double post

Edited by crazygreg44

If you go up the back lanes at Rong Kluea market you will see hundreds of bails of clothing in storage or being broken down to have the clothes washed and ironed. The wife enquired about the cost of a bail and was told it was 10000 baht (2012). When asked what the make up of the contents of a bail would be the guy had no idea....or just wasn't saying.

The stuff is all donated to charity and is ex U.S.A.

Charities in the USA collect, sort, clean and resell donated clothing through second-hand outlets inside the USA. Items that do not sell, are not suitable or are in excess of needs, are indeed sold to overseas agents.

The profits from these sales goes back to the charity in the USA. Otherwise, they would end up in the landfill as was the practice years ago.

This information is available on most USA based charities websites or upon enquiry.

what difference will that make when there is fake everything here already and nobody does anything about it ? Raid the malls and markets, get rid of all fakes and copies including clothes, movies, computer software etc....then maybe stopping people bringing more in may be a worthwhile effort....

Cambodians block bridge, call for people to be freed

The Sunday Nation

30241093-01_big.jpg

Cambodians stage a protest at the border checkpoint opposite Sa Kaew

Sa Kaew: -- Some 300 Cambodian people held a protest at the Thai-Cambodian border checkpoint on the Thai-Cambodian Friendship Bridge opposite Sa Kaew province, demanding the release of some Cambodian merchants arrested by Thai officials on Thursday.

They also blockaded the bridge with 10 wooden trolleys, which resulted in long queues for vehicles on both sides of the border.

The blockade ended at 5pm and traffic across the border resumed as usual.

Negotiations between the two sides in the morning failed, while Tri Narin, the governor of Cambodia's Poipet municipality, told Thai officials that the group wanted the arrested Cambodian merchants to be released. Thai officials insisted that they had only done their duty when they arrested the Cambodian merchants for allegedly attempting to smuggle pirated goods into Thailand. They insisted they had never arrested any innocent Cambodian merchants.

Sa Kaew Governor Phakkharathon Thianchai later negotiated with his Cambodian counterpart, which brought an end to the protest. Phakkharathon said Cambodians might not understand the new tax collection system, which was also an issue that led to protest.

He said Thai authorities would for now use the previous system and prepare them for the new system. He, however, said that smuggling of pirated goods would be dealt with according to Thai law.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Cambodians-block-bridge-call-for-people-to-be-free-30241093.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-08-17

Is that Jeff Savage in the middle of that crowd? You would of thought he'd learned his lesson last time he threatened to burn down Central in Bangkok.

After, inside the U.S.A., all sizes XXL to XXXXL have been sorted out (these sizes go to Africa, as the population there is taller), the rest gets shipped to 3rd world country shores, preferably Cambodia. There literally must be HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of PIECES of clothes leaving US shores EVERY MONTH, with destination Asia....

This is partially true, though if you're American I guess it's nice to talk up your own country. I'm inclined to believe (with the range of brands) that it comes from all over the world. Also these generally aren't copied. 90%, when I use to go there 6 years ago, was genuine factory seconds or or secondhand.

Anyone can tell with half a brain that these are donated goods (Sorry if you were there & didn't work it out in the first 5 min, extremely sorry if you didn't work it out at all). Just yet another corrupt system in place that's openly robbing those that are in need.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody that knows anything about the counterfeit business will tell you that Rong Kluea Market is the place to go for the cheapest prices!

I know guys that go there for Football Shirts to sell in the UK.

The cheapest must be the source surely??

at the Rongkluea Market, there are no newly manufactured items. Only second hand clothes. so if you are looking for counterfeit UK football club's t-shirts, Bangkoks malls are the better option. Also in Bangkok, the dealers ( in the Indian quarter) take on orders for making "cheapest" Fottball shirts.

your source of information can surely keep his sources hidden . . . . .

After, inside the U.S.A., all sizes XXL to XXXXL have been sorted out (these sizes go to Africa, as the population there is taller), the rest gets shipped to 3rd world country shores, preferably Cambodia. There literally must be HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of PIECES of clothes leaving US shores EVERY MONTH, with destination Asia....

This is partially true, though if you're American I guess it's nice to talk up your own country. I'm inclined to believe (with the range of brands) that it comes from all over the world. Also these generally aren't copied. 90%, when I use to go there 6 years ago, was genuine factory seconds or or secondhand.

Anyone can tell with half a brain that these are donated goods (Sorry if you were there & didn't work it out in the first 5 min, extremely sorry if you didn't work it out at all). Just yet another corrupt system in place that's openly robbing those that are in need.

Yes, you are right, I forgot to mention the donations are from all 1 st world countries, not only from the U.S.A. And when it says "Levis" on a jeans from Rongkluea, it is most surely a 1 st world original brand Levis