Cancellation of TG922/ TG923 BKK-FRA starting BKK-DUS Dec 2014

khrab

So it seems it is a smart move (I hate to say that) from THAI to move one of their two daily flights from Frankfurt to Düsseldorf.

Now as the only attraction Thailand has left it its horizontal entertainment industry, Düsseldorf is the market for potential (whistling.gif ) customers.

The only tricky part is the pricing.thumbsup.gif Doing it right it will not only fill up the flights, but also the bars in Pattaya and Patong.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1603185-cancellation-tg922-tg923-bkk-fra-starting-bkk-dus-dec-2014-a.html

One of the daily LHR flights next for the chop and new flight ex MAN ?

I am in two, or perhaps three, minds about this idea. rolleyes.gif

Using one of the the grounded A340s on BKK-MAN might make a lot of sense, replacing it with a B777 or B787, in time & if they can make a go of it. Should have been done yonks ago !

On the separate issue of BKK-LHR, THAI have been having trouble to fill two daily B744s for some time now, and switching to one daily A380 might make it more profitable, alternatively they can try to boost load-factors on two flights ?

Selling-off one set of LHR landing/take-off slots would certainly raise some welcome capital, when loans are due for refinancing, and help their cashflow !

But how would their Star-Alliance partners view it, reducing TG's presence at a key global/European hub, just after their new Terminal-2 has reopened ?

Why is it this move to Dusseldorf seems to me a very good idea?

- There is no direct flight from Dusseldorf to Bangkok any more, not all travellers like to transfer flights.

- Dusseldorf airport is very popular with not only wester Germany but also The Netherlands and Belgium;

- Abellio, the daughter of the Dutch Railways will open a direct connection from Arnhem to Dusseldorf next year.

- Being a daughter company the step to further the traject to Utrecht might be very easy, tapping into the western part of the Netherlands.

- There is already an ICE connection between Amsterdam en Dusseldorf

- As far as I know a direct connection from Belgium into Dusseldorf is already there, an additional non ICE/Thalys train can be easily crated.

- There are very good road connections in all directions from and to Dusseldorf

All the above might become be a good thing for Thai Airways, if, just if, the pricing will be right.

Why Khrab thinks that from Dusseldorf the only passengers will go to the barscene?

The direct flights from Air Berlin showed many women and children.

Edited by hansnl

Using one of the the grounded A340s on BKK-MAN might make a lot of sense, replacing it with a B777 or B787, in time & if they can make a go of it. Should have been done yonks ago !

On the separate issue of BKK-LHR, THAI have been having trouble to fill two daily B744s for some time now, and switching to one daily A380 might make it more profitable, alternatively they can try to boost load-factors on two flights ?

Selling-off one set of LHR landing/take-off slots would certainly raise some welcome capital, when loans are due for refinancing, and help their cashflow !

But how would their Star-Alliance partners view it, reducing TG's presence at a key global/European hub, just after their new Terminal-2 has reopened ?

I can see Thai cancelling one of their daily LHR flights and selling the valuable landing slot for millions of £. Cannot see a direct service

MAN-BKK with a A340 - yes perhaps with a B787.

Problem with any possible direct services eastbound from Manchester are the 3 MEA who have really dominated these routes over the last

10 years. Will be interesting to see how long the re-introduced Cathay Pacific direct route to Hong Kong lasts!

I can see Thai cancelling one of their daily LHR flights and selling the valuable landing slot for millions of £. Cannot see a direct service

Problem with any possible direct services eastbound from Manchester are the 3 MEA who have really dominated these routes over the last

10 years. Will be interesting to see how long the re-introduced Cathay Pacific direct route to Hong Kong lasts!

THAI might open the route, using one of the planes currently sitting idle, but then switch to a B787 later on, as they become available & if the route is viable ?

I agree that the Gulf-based airlines have changed the game, for many long-haul routes out of the UK, any competitor has to be able to compete on price & service.

THAI might open the route, using one of the planes currently sitting idle, but then switch to a B787 later on, as they become available & if the route is viable ?

I agree that the Gulf-based airlines have changed the game, for many long-haul routes out of the UK, any competitor has to be able to compete on price & service.

Operating an A340 direct Man-BKK at similiar ticket prices as the 3 MEA is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1