Netflix & VPN

ubonrthai

I use unblock-us and stream using a Roku 3. I have no issues. They have a free trial, so check it out for a week and see if it works for you. It's great for me. I said goodbye to TrueVisions very quickly after Roku was up and running. It's a heck of a lot cheaper as well!

How do you guys get around paying for Netflix or Hulu, with a none US credit card or UK credit card for the UK version?

There is also UK Free View which offers lots of programs too, even though it is free, they ask for a UK credit card.

I get blocked in signing up when trying.... my credit card is Canadian... (so it's more than having a VPN. )

When I contacted Hulu & they said could not do with a foreign card sad.png

Being American, I have maintained bank accounts with debit cards in the USA. I have also maintained several credit card accounts. I seldom use any of those accounts, as I have been gone for about 8 years now. A long time ago, when I was still a tourist in Thailand, several expat friends of mine told me how important it would be to maintain these accounts should I ever move abroad. It's important not to burn any bridges for many more important reasons than things like Netflix. Nonetheless, I still have my accounts and can use them for Netflix, etc. In my case, a family member has Netflix. One account can have four users. She simply added me to her existing account, so we share it. We can watch separate programs simultaneously without any conflict. It works out very well. Although I have the cards back "home", paying the bills can be a bit tricky from here. I really try not to use them if at all possible. Now, I have two Thai credit cards (unsecured) that I can use for most internet type transactions, so it has become much less of an issue. So, that's one way to do it.

None of that is going to help you if you aren't from the US (or UK or any other country where you want such a service). The other issue that comes up for me is the Roku Box. This also requires a US Credit Card and billing address. It's very important that you set it up correctly the first time you set up the account. If you make a mistake with the address and have conflicts, you will need to start a new account with an email that hasn't been associated with them before. It isn't difficult to do, but if you make a mistake, you need to use another email address. Thankfully, I have several. I had to go through the process three times before I got it right because I was anxious to get my content quickly and hadn't done my homework properly.

As for the Credit Card and Address. Unblock-us. com has some very detailed guides to assist you when you are setting it all up. They are very, very detailed and user friendly. Their customer service is fantastic. If you have a question, you can bet someone else had the question as well at some point in time. This information is all presented in their FAQ. They are very fast at responding to technical questions, both during the free trial and afterwards.

The internet is filled with all kinds of tips and tricks to get around these geo-restrictions. The prepaid card mentioned above is a good way to go. You can buy them on the internet and never even see the physical card. There are also ways to play around with and manipulate the zip code you use for the account to "trick" the system. I didn't have to do this because of my situation described above, but there are some details about it on the unblock-us website and elsewhere on the internet.

For what it's worth, I decided to use unblock-us because of their professionalism, great guides, and lightning fast replies to my questions.

Good Luck!

• Like 2

There's no need to pay for a VPN. There's an extension for Google Chrome and Firefox called 'Hola Unblocker'. Simply install that, and it'll solve your problems.

For what it's worth, Hola works fine for Netflix most of the time. It had a tendency to slow down playback with buffering some of the time. That's normal in Thailand with internet speeds being what they are. Personally, I am not a fan of watching the majority of the media I consume via a computer screen. That would drive me absolutely nuts. In addition, I like to use my computer and multitask if a movie is on. I don't know how it works with other media boxes, but the Roku box doesn't allow you to make internal changes to its settings. As such, changes must be made at the router level. The advantage of this is that any device that connects to the internet through my home router will benefit from the service. So, I can watch Netflix on my TV (via Roku), my iPhone, my iPad, or my computer without doing anything at all. Additionally, any guests at my home don't need to go through any additional steps to bypass geo-restrictions put in place by some sites.

In short, the add-on is a good one if you are only going to use your computer for your media consumption. If you intend to use the internet for all of your media consumption, you might want to consider a paid service. There are many to choose from. The age old saying that you get what you pay for holds true in this case. That is a certainty. It is worth paying the money to ensure you have a good VPN (or DNS). Most of them have some sort of a free trial. Like I said, unblock-us has a free trial for a week. There is no need to input any credit card or payment information. Just sign up and give it a shot for a week. You really have nothing to lose. If you do decide to go ahead with it, I would suggest making the changes at the router level.

Good luck!

There's no need to pay for a VPN. There's an extension for Google Chrome and Firefox called 'Hola Unblocker'. Simply install that, and it'll solve your problems.

I agree, but that solves only part of the problem, yes it works well (Hola) I use on Firefox, it even list a number of sites on the drop down menu, including Netflix.. I only discovered that a few days ago.... after using for about 5- 6 weeks.... but it does not bypass the problem of signing up with a none US or UK credit card.... for Netflix and Hula etc etc...

A few suggestions have help give a way of doing that, above ^thumbsup.gif

The other thing I have noticed is only on US sites, it asks for which US internet provider one uses.... that does not help! sad.png

UK's ITV asks for a UK post code only, that is easy enough! BBC programs do not! wink.png (that actually could be the other way around, I forget now, as permanently "signed in")

TV player works well too, once a VPN is installed...

Try Hola first..... very little buffering on over 10 mbs internet speed, which I have with 3BB ....thumbsup.gif

I now have endless amount of crap spam mail, after trying the pay for sites... wanting me to increase the size of my whistling.gif .... you know! facepalm.gif

Ubonrthai,

We have done extensive testing with a number of VPN services installed on a WIFI router to provide seamless, simultaneous VPN connectivity to all devices through a single account. In general, we find you get what you pay for (as with most things). Vypr and Strong have been the most reliable and best quality. If you're looking to integrate VPN on a budget then some of the plugins and freebies work just fine, but there is nothing quite like the experience of connecting every device to a WiFi VPN network automatically. Everything just works and you get peace of mind that prying eyes aren't able to look in. www.freedomrouters.com

Hope this helps!

• 3 months later...

Quote: ESPN and Disney Jr. which are the only 2 things I need

Interesting combination I have to say LOL

But seriously, on the OP's original point, I think the distinction between a VPN and a DNS redirection service should be clarified. A VPN is an encrypted tunnel which will slow speed. A DNS redirection service will simply 'hijack' your ISP DNS lookup and redirect it without a resultant loss of speed.

Depends again what you are planning. If it's watching only on a laptop there are multiple browser add-ons which will mask your location. If you are planning to use a Roku, AppleTV then a DNS masking service set in your router makes the whole experience seamless.

I use UnoTelly, and have also use Overplay in the past. Both ~$50/year

any opinion on the STEGANOS VPN ? They have some great Promo offers (less than 30 $ a year) if you are based in an Asian country. 500 MB a month are even free, which might be enough for some when using it on a Smartphone. But I wanna use a VPN on my laptop too (I have to go to China once in a while). the price is good for 3 devices which I find very competitive.

what is tempting me is that they are based in Europe therefore less likely to be compromised by Obama's dodgy YES WE SCAN - army