Extend range of wifi at home

lemel

You could try the Powerline jobbies if your circuits can take it.

Faster than Wifi and works through walls.

http://www.tp-link.com/common/subject/powerline/TL-PA211/?siteid=3

Is this available in Bangkok? I still don't understand how it works? Do you buy one or several?

Would you know where we can get this?

You should be able to find Powerline Bridge Adapters in Bangkok, or they can special order them for you.

You can also order them online from ThaiVisa sponsor InvadeIT: Powerline Networking

"Powerline Adapter Kit turns your existing powerline into a high speed network with no need for new wires or drilling. No configuration is required, simply plug your adapters into your power sockets and you can establish networking infrastructure in a flash. With a speed of up to 500Mbps."

Requires two, or more, Powerline Adapters. They come in different configurations, some as Ethernet Only and others as Combo Ethernet/WiFi. Generally speaking you can mix and match to build your own kit but it's best to do it within the same brand for greatest usability.

Sometimes Powerline Adapters work between houses if they share a very close street transformer and are on the same AC Phase Circuit.

Sometimes these devices won't work at all because the AC lines contain to much RF noise from electric motors, halogen lights, etc. RF Noise Filters can be added to incoming Electrical Mains to reduce or eliminate many RF noise issues.

TOT sell ZyXEL HD Powerline Adapters, (PLA4201 - 500 Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet ADAPTER) as a pair

The antenna on this model unscrews and can be replaced with something exceeding the standard 5dbi antenna or a directional antenna that can be aimed to where the signal is needed most. Apart from moving the router to a more central position this will give the most bang for dollar. Also try changing channels in case there are other wi-fi routers in your area.

Bridging another Wi-Fi router closer to the desired position using a hard wired Ethernet or power line Ethernet can work to.

You can also load Tomato firmware on this model and really unleash its potential! This software also allows the user to tweak or boast the transmitted signal a few mw but this can be over rated as a method of increasing range. The firmware may just give the extra boast you need and does a lot of other special stuff that a $100 router cannot do.

Try tilting the antennas, so that the the long sides are parallel to each other.

If you are upstairs, your downstairs antenna should tilted so the side faces toward where you are working. Likewise your upstairs antenna (if you have one) should tilted so the side faces toward the downstairs antennas.

Living in the US of A, i had the usual struggle as mentioned above with Verizon provided router. Adding a repeater extended the range by less than 10' ; with the router and the repeater, downstairs, i could hardly use my iPad upstairs, through a wooden floor.

Then i bought a new router, the Netgear N600. It changed the world. Now I can walk around the house with my iPad with no problem. I must admit that the connection gets iffy if I sit in the backyard more than 30 yards away, especially when skyping.

I can handle that. It was the $100 or so investment.

Sometimes you can download alternative "firmware", that will permit you to increase the range of your router. You might want to google that. Some routers come with firmware that "hobble" the range (such as in the USA with FCC regulations). Might be technically illegal...but what the hay. (DD WRT is one such alternative firmware). You would have to have something compatible...of course.

Edited by slipperylobster

I saw a YouTube video where the guy uses a beer or soda can to make a signal enhancer of some sort. It seemed real but I didn't try it because I don't need to increase my signal range. Please try it and tell us if it works. The video should be easy to find if you search in YouTube.

I tried the beer/coke can thing once...didn't really help...maybe 1db gain....maybe I should have tried a pepsi can. wink.png

But I did make a curved reflector from tinfoil & cardboard that helped significantly like shown in the video in above post #12 by tywais. By helped I mean that increased my power transmission by about 3-5db (which is at least doubling of radiated power). Now doubling of power radiated may sound impressive but it takes so little to also cause a 3db loss of power (power level cut in half) and a 3db increase may just get you up form say a -85dbm signal to a -82dbm or -80dbm level which is still a low level signal. Each person's results will vary....an extra 3 to 5db may make all the difference for some folks.

It's important to get the reflector curvature right and the distance between the antenna & reflecting tinfoil just right to get maximum antenna/radiated power gain. I used it on my one antenna router for well over a year...in my case that extra 3 to 5 db noticeably helped.

That's interesting. I'm glad somebody tried this type of idea.

In the video, the guy shows a big gain in signal strength and speed But i guess it wasn't true.

There's another video out there where some guy tells us that taping batteries to the Ethernet cable will increase speed a lot, but that one is obviously a spoof. I wonder how many people actually tried it.

In the end WiFi is not really suitable for streaming of content, I tried several brands and even 4 meter open space between the router and the HTPC didn't work.

I ended up wiring the connections that use streaming content from the server, works perfect.

Ok thank you all for the replies, I ended up changing the router to an Asus N300 with large double antenna and it now works perfect all round the house, streams the football on my laptop in the bedroom just fine, all installed for 2,250 baht. Once again cheers for the suggestions.