20 workers injured in a boiler explosion at a cloth dyeing factory

Lite Beer

20 workers injured in a boiler explosion at a cloth dyeing factory

8-17-2014-2-19-33-PM1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

About 20 workers of a cloth dyeing factory in Samut Prakan were injured, five seriously, and ten wooden houses were shattered when an oil high-pressure boiler of the factory exploded this morning.

The factory of Wongpasit Printing company in Tambon Thai Ban, Muang district, also suffered heavy damages and one six-wheel truck was burned in the powerful blast.

Pol Col Pallop Aeromla, superintendent of the provincial police, said initial investigation showed that the explosion was suspected to be caused by high pressure in the boiler and the boiler itself which was too old.

Damages were estimated at a minimum of ten million baht.

One of the workers, Mr Prachak Makaew, said that he was working in the factory when, out of a sudden, there was a loud explosion and the boiler was thrown out of the factory and smashed on the floor.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/20-workers-injured-boiler-explosion-cloth-dyeing-factory/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=20-workers-injured-boiler-explosion-cloth-dyeing-factory

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-08-17

Having seen a number of boilers stripped down for inspection I would imagine this would not happen in Thailand unless it was owned by an international company, if there are any qualified/licensed boiler inspectors in Thailand I would imagine the turn up and after a brief discussion and (handsome tip) agree it would be unreasonable to shut the plant down to inspect it and just sign the safety certificate.

Must have just missed its annual maintenance and pressure tests. Too bad. More needless deaths.

No one died.

My mistake. More needless injuries.

Sorry, it was the workers at the factory that were dyeing.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 1

"and ten wooden houses were shattered when an oil high-pressure boiler of the factory exploded this morning."

What was that law again about having workers living on site? whistling.gif

There isn't one.

You're referring to a law that does not permit employees to live on construction sites.

"and ten wooden houses were shattered when an oil high-pressure boiler of the factory exploded this morning."

What was that law again about having workers living on site? whistling.gif

There isn't one.

You're referring to a law that does not permit employees to live on construction sites.

Do you understand English idiomatic comments?

SAMUT PRAKARN
22 hurt after boiler erupts

The Nation

30241122-02_big.JPG

Migrant workers, residents injured in the explosion

BANGKOK: -- A five-meter-high boiler exploded at a dyeing plant in Samut Prakan’s Muang district early yesterday, injuring some 22 workers and residents. Several nearby homes were also damaged.

Most of the victims - 17 - were migrants, including a Myanmar man in charge of running the boiler. Four others were from a Thai family living next door to the factory.

The entire plant and its machinery, owned by Wongwisit Dyeing Co, was destroyed. Damage was estimated at about Bt10 million.

The site has been declared off-limits pending an inspection by police to determine the cause of the accident. No one has been charged yet.

The explosion blew out the upper and lower lids of the three-metre-wide boiler and sent the main unit flying some distance away from its original site. The explosion levelled six homes and damaged a few others while setting fire to machinery on the

other side of the building. The blaze was extinguished in 30 minutes.

Police said six workers were on duty, including the operator, identified as Sor Mon San, 25, who was taken to the intensive care unit of a hospital with burns all over his body from scalding water.

A police source said there may have been problems with water pipes cooling the boiler, causing steam pressure to build up and exceed the safe limit and explode.

Thawee Kaewchart said the blast before 5.30am sent him and two children diving into a ditch by their house, which was flattened by the force of the blast. Thawee had burns on his arm and both of his children had burns on a large part of their bodies.

Jeerasak Sukhonthachart, permanent secretary of the Labour Ministry, said registered migrant workers would be provided assistance from the Social Security scheme while those unregistered would get initial assistance from their employer.

He said he would inspect the factory then visit those receiving treatment at Samut Prakan Hospital.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/22-hurt-after-boiler-erupts-30241122.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-18

Was the Myanmar man a qualified boiler attendant? It seems that he has been negligent in his duties. If you have problems with the feed water pipes the general rule is to shut the boiler down and fix the problem.

My dad was a boiler inspector in Australia and boilers and inspections where a popular dinner time discussion.

I am a boiler guy they can blow up with proper maintanece, a lot of non-sense here maybe operator mistake who knows for sure not the guys who are always on the anti Thailand bandwagon

Um .. all my working life has been in UK power stations, I have never known a boiler blow up. I have known quite severe tube leaks though which buckled the casing.

If you look at the additional pictures in the Bangkok Post and the picture above actually, you can see that the combustion chamber appears to have collapsed for whatever reason. If that was the initial mechanical problem then a huge force would be put on both ends of the boiler and they would very likely part company which appears to have happened in this case.

There is a volume increase of at least 1600 times when water changes to steam and the water would change to steam if the above occurred. It's not quite that simple but approx. You can see in one of the pictures that the outlet valve is showing open ... it will be interesting to see the outcome of the inquiry ... in this 'climate' I would be surprised if it is completely hushed up.