Weekend Riding Groups

saramsland

Personally, I'd rather do 500 k.m. of twisties than 100 k.m. of highways, let alone 1,000! At very least I feel sorry for my tires (and the poor bugger that bought them).

Riding at night here is to be avoided, but you know that already. I have done so only once; departed Hua Mark at 15:00 sharp and rode to Nong Khai by 21:15 with dinner at Chumphae (I took the 201 from Sikhio through Chaiyaphum rather than the 'main' highway. If I did not have 3,000 additional lumens upfront, and reflectors on my panniers I'd not even think about it!

I've got 2x Denali D2 sets on my 500X...only an extra 1656 lumens but they work great for those later excursions. One set (25 degree lens) is on at all times and mounted low on the crashbar for fog light, low beam and "HEY IDIOT...I AM HERE" usage. The other set (10 degree lens) is tucked up under the nose and works really well for driving lights as they are tied into my high beam. I was also thinking about getting something more for rear visibility; was thinking about sourcing the black reflective (or even silver as either will work on my Givi Trekker boxes) 3M tape...or getting some sort of flashing led pointed downwards that isn't annoyingly bright but still will catch the eye.

Tyres are of little concern to me; I only get to use them every 4th month so I may as well burn them up before dry rot sets in.

Night rides are not a problem if you have a proper headlight and taillight.

Actually very less traffic at night and weather is cool.

Just you need to ride a bit slower than a day ride as some animals are active at night including drunk animals driving cars/trucks.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sounds like a good set up, although lower lights pick up dirt quickly and are soon less bright than advertised...

The LED are 900 lumens and draw 0.75 Amp each. The pic shows stock headlight, stock plus 2 units 30º, stock plus 2 30º plus 1 15º spot. The pics were taken at 45 metres out.

I run with the 2 30º units in the day, and only use the spot when needed... I also where a HiVis harness...

Cheers.

Personally, I'd rather do 500 k.m. of twisties than 100 k.m. of highways, let alone 1,000! At very least I feel sorry for my tires (and the poor bugger that bought them).

Riding at night here is to be avoided, but you know that already. I have done so only once; departed Hua Mark at 15:00 sharp and rode to Nong Khai by 21:15 with dinner at Chumphae (I took the 201 from Sikhio through Chaiyaphum rather than the 'main' highway. If I did not have 3,000 additional lumens upfront, and reflectors on my panniers I'd not even think about it!

I've got 2x Denali D2 sets on my 500X...only an extra 1656 lumens but they work great for those later excursions. One set (25 degree lens) is on at all times and mounted low on the crashbar for fog light, low beam and "HEY IDIOT...I AM HERE" usage. The other set (10 degree lens) is tucked up under the nose and works really well for driving lights as they are tied into my high beam. I was also thinking about getting something more for rear visibility; was thinking about sourcing the black reflective (or even silver as either will work on my Givi Trekker boxes) 3M tape...or getting some sort of flashing led pointed downwards that isn't annoyingly bright but still will catch the eye.

Tyres are of little concern to me; I only get to use them every 4th month so I may as well burn them up before dry rot sets in.

post-141207-0-25745700-1408427068_thumb.

post-141207-0-85781500-1408427158_thumb.

Sounds like a good set up, although lower lights pick up dirt quickly and are soon less bright than advertised...

The LED are 900 lumens and draw 0.75 Amp each. The pic shows stock headlight, stock plus 2 units 30º, stock plus 2 30º plus 1 15º spot. The pics were taken at 45 metres out.

I run with the 2 30º units in the day, and only use the spot when needed... I also where a HiVis harness...

Cheers.

I don't know how they figure the lumens rating...the ones I have simply state "828 lumens" (at Revzilla) without mention of whether that's singly or combined with an output at 1,5 amps. Seems odd to me that each of mine would only produce 1/2 the power at twice the draw as yours...making the LEDs only 1/4 as efficient...but like I said I don't know for sure. Other websites claim that's a rating for each; 828 lumens at 0,75 amps...uses the Cree XM-L2 bulbs according to Twisted Throttle.

I've attached a picture below to see where I have them mounted. As you can see they're not terribly low (around the height of the top of the fender) and well back and to the side so they don't get dirty. Pick up more splattered bugs than anything. The running lights (bottom ones) are actually aimed correctly in that picture as when I am on the bike and have my kit in the panniers the bike levels them out due to sag. Wasn't happy with the way the 'hi-beams' were pointed, but due to their location it's a bit hard to get aimed properly when you're doing it by yourself. Next time I'm back in the Kingdom I'll take some vanity shots of how they light up the night.

post-27441-0-08959200-1407498410.jpg

That's 900 k.m.! Holy crap! That is some ride!

Don't know what the hate for small bikes is....mbox and I have done the Nakhon Sawan to Umphang and back trip on a pair of 250 (Ninja and Boxer). Eating lunch there and still got home after 12.5 hours. And I'm not that good of a rider.

Last December I rode Chiang Mai to Pataya over Tak. Left Chiang Mai at 6 AM and was in Pataya by 4 PM.

Don't know what the hate for small bikes is....mbox and I have done the Nakhon Sawan to Umphang and back trip on a pair of 250 (Ninja and Boxer). Eating lunch there and still got home after 12.5 hours. And I'm not that good of a rider.

Last December I rode Chiang Mai to Pataya over Tak. Left Chiang Mai at 6 AM and was in Pataya by 4 PM.

That's a moving average of 85 km/h. A little low for such fast roads. Take a gander at the 1090; that really slows down overall progress. For my planned trip to be a success, I'll need to have an overall average of at least 100 km/h in order to not be in the saddle for too many hours in the Iron Butt chase.

That's a moving average of 85 km/h. A little low for such fast roads. Take a gander at the 1090; that really slows down overall progress. For my planned trip to be a success, I'll need to have an overall average of at least 100 km/h in order to not be in the saddle for too many hours in the Iron Butt chase.

You have to calculate in some stops.

And I stopped at my condo in BKK to get a shower and some fresh clothes :-)

I wasn't knocking the time it took you. Apologies if it came across as so.

As a side note...I do wonder about the shower though as there's a rumour that there in Pattaya you can get a lady to go ahead and give you a massage and bath...

As a side note...I do wonder about the shower though as there's a rumour that there in Pattaya you can get a lady to go ahead and give you a massage and bath...

yep, Abnaam:)

yep, Abnaam:)

Better in Ratchada than in Pattaya I think. Would set you back 2 hours though :)

• Like 1

It's just not possible to have an overall average of even 100 km/h. Say for example, for every two hour stint, you ride for 105 mins and stop for 15 at a constant speed of 140 km/h. This would mean that the overall average during this two hour stint would be 122.5 km/h (would appreciate if someone would check the maths and correct me if I'm wrong).

However, there is no way to maintain the speed of 140 km/h for 1 3/4 hours. If you can maintain a speed of 130 km/h, then the overall average is 113.75. At 120 km/h ==> 105. At 110 km/h ==> 96.25.

Even having said that, stints of 1 3/4 hours would be really tough slogs. More realistic would be riding 1.5 hrs with 30 min stops. This then brings down the overall average as follows:

140 km/h ==> 105 km/h

130 km/h ==> 97.5 km/h

120 km/h ==> 90 km/h

110 km/h ==> 82.5 km/h

I reckon that Bramds moving average of 85 km/h is a very good speed.

It's just not possible to have an overall average of even 100 km/h. Say for example, for every two hour stint, you ride for 105 mins and stop for 15 at a constant speed of 140 km/h. This would mean that the overall average during this two hour stint would be 122.5 km/h (would appreciate if someone would check the maths and correct me if I'm wrong).

However, there is no way to maintain the speed of 140 km/h for 1 3/4 hours. If you can maintain a speed of 130 km/h, then the overall average is 113.75. At 120 km/h ==> 105. At 110 km/h ==> 96.25.

Even having said that, stints of 1 3/4 hours would be really tough slogs. More realistic would be riding 1.5 hrs with 30 min stops. This then brings down the overall average as follows:

140 km/h ==> 105 km/h

130 km/h ==> 97.5 km/h

120 km/h ==> 90 km/h

110 km/h ==> 82.5 km/h

First there is no problem with your math.

The 1.5 hour estimate is actually pretty good; but not all of us have to dismount and walk it off. A complete stop (preferably at a long stoplight) round about the 1.5 hour mark, spark up of my cancer stick, and then back on the road puffing away at 60 km/h serves me pretty well. The three hour mark, right when my fuel gauge is counting up how many litres past 'empty' I am, is when I do make sure I stop and get a good break in. I don't think it's possible to maintain a 140 km/h speed, but between having to slow down through stretches for the various reasons and then opening it up (to 'blow out the carbon' of course) it's not out of reason to think that 120 is doable. And as I've made it from the western edge of Nakhon Sawan to Nakhon Pathom in about 2.75 hours I reckon my system works well enough. Maybe that is why (easier to blame than me being anti-social) I don't go on group rides.

120 km/h ==> 105 km/h taking a 30 minute fuel break every 4 hr interval (or 15 every minutes average break every 2 hours)

110 km/h ==> 96.25 km/h taking a 30 minute fuel break every 4 hr interval (or 15 every minutes average break every 2 hours)

• Like 2

I take more notice of fuel consumption, but I think a 100 + average is doable. I ride to Mae Sot via Suphan in 4 hours and 20 minutes. That is pretty much 500 km on the nose. Knowing I won't ride once I get there means I only stop to take on fuel, have a wiz, and replace body fluids, so 10 - 15 mins max first stop, and 3 - 5 mins for fuel only the second...

Not that it matters really...

I agree with Dave. Don't knock out the small bikes, Ninja 300 (as well as 250) can keep up with the speeds you mentioned very easy. While it takes a while to get it up to its top speed of 174 kmh, getting it up to 140 (and especially 100) is a piece of cake.

I made a trip South a few weeks back, from near Korat to the Pak Bara pier and back. It was 1200 km going there and 1500 km coming back different route. Each part of the trip took me 2 days and the 2nd day of the return was the longest with me putting 1060 km starting from Khao Lak and going to near Korat. Took me about 13 or 14 hrs but I blame the rain which was 2/3rd of the way.

Attached are the screenshots from my GPS. 22hrs total return trip with the average moving speed of 77 kmh, I think I only paused the track recording when I stopped for the night.

post-111234-14085308147147_thumb.jpg

post-111234-14085308315813_thumb.jpg

Pls see my previous reply..

Not knocking small bikes, I too had one in the past. Any small bike rider that is sensible Im happy to ride along side, any small bike rider that thinks he needs to act like a MotoGP Pro because he lacks torque over the hills then just puts more responsibility on other riders when he doesn't pull off a record 'catch up' speed on the flats or downhill runs.

I've heard similar comments against Ducati's and engine braking, some don't enjoy riding with them as they don't get the bike red brake light as a warning.

Each to their own, safe riding and enjoy!

I take more notice of fuel consumption, but I think a 100 + average is doable. I ride to Mae Sot via Suphan in 4 hours and 20 minutes. That is pretty much 500 km on the nose. Knowing I won't ride once I get there means I only stop to take on fuel, have a wiz, and replace body fluids, so 10 - 15 mins max first stop, and 3 - 5 mins for fuel only the second...

Not that it matters really...

Two stops totalling less than 20 mins and covering 500 kms? Wow, hats off to you. I like to stop every 150 km or so, for a smoke, coffee and/or Sponsor and definitely a meal stop as well. But then, I'm usually not in a hurry and do not want to tire myself unnecessarily (safety and all that palava).

• Like 1

140 km/h ==> 105 km/h

130 km/h ==> 97.5 km/h

120 km/h ==> 90 km/h

110 km/h ==> 82.5 km/h

First there is no problem with your math.

The 1.5 hour estimate is actually pretty good; but not all of us have to dismount and walk it off. A complete stop (preferably at a long stoplight) round about the 1.5 hour mark, spark up of my cancer stick, and then back on the road puffing away at 60 km/h serves me pretty well. The three hour mark, right when my fuel gauge is counting up how many litres past 'empty' I am, is when I do make sure I stop and get a good break in. I don't think it's possible to maintain a 140 km/h speed, but between having to slow down through stretches for the various reasons and then opening it up (to 'blow out the carbon' of course) it's not out of reason to think that 120 is doable. And as I've made it from the western edge of Nakhon Sawan to Nakhon Pathom in about 2.75 hours I reckon my system works well enough. Maybe that is why (easier to blame than me being anti-social) I don't go on group rides.

120 km/h ==> 105 km/h taking a 30 minute fuel break every 4 hr interval (or 15 every minutes average break every 2 hours)

110 km/h ==> 96.25 km/h taking a 30 minute fuel break every 4 hr interval (or 15 every minutes average break every 2 hours)

a good touring means, you have to do minimum of 200 km within 2 hours. the best is 240 km per 2 hours and totally doable as fixed with my experience.

then 15 minutes break every 2 hours.

means 1600 km is doable at around 16 to 18 hours.

dave, i m interested at your Iron Butt Challange! 1 day 1600 km! cool but need full rest next day!

1600 km in Thailand in a day? That's insane! Concentration levels must be well down after 8 hours or so.

I've done BKK to CM a few times and I can feel myself getting irritable and leaning towards some rash decisions the last hour or so. Can't imagine doing double that. Or maybe I'm just being a puss laugh.png

• Like 1

1600 km in Thailand in a day? That's insane! Concentration levels must be well down after 8 hours or so.

I've done BKK to CM a few times and I can feel myself getting irritable and leaning towards some rash decisions the last hour or so. Can't imagine doing double that. Or maybe I'm just being a puss laugh.png

You have to be quite mad to do it...and proper planning is essential. Knock out technical bits early. Try to be on roads you know from Dusk to Dawn. Keep yourself entertained (I use Shure SE535 connected to an X3...when i get irritated i switch on some classical music). When tired take a break--WITH STRETCHING! Etc.

You have to be quite mad to do it...and proper planning is essential. Knock out technical bits early. Try to be on roads you know from Dusk to Dawn. Keep yourself entertained (I use Shure SE535 connected to an X3...when i get irritated i switch on some classical music). When tired take a break--WITH STRETCHING! Etc.

It's not for me, but different strokes and all that...

Hope it goes well, I'd certainly be interested in the ride report smile.png

It's not for me, but different strokes and all that...

Hope it goes well, I'd certainly be interested in the ride report smile.png

Ripping downhill towards a hairpin turn at the speeds some of the boardmembers do (did I pay the latest premium on my insurance...am I going to set up properly..etc) is not for me.

I'll be documenting it live to help out with verification of earning the pin/patch.

I'm not sure it has to be one extreme or the other, but fair play for taking it on - quite a challenge!

• 4 weeks later...