NCPO has started well, but next phase tougher: Abhisit

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
Junta has started well, but next phase tougher: Abhisit

Kornchanok Raksaseri
Jintana Panyaarvudh
Kris Bhromsuthi

BANGKOK: -- THE RULING JUNTA has done well in the first phase of its mission, but the road ahead will not be rosy, Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva told The Nation in an exclusive interview recently.

While the junta has managed well such emergencies as political violence and the unpaid money in the rice-pledging scheme, the real issues such as the national economy and problems of low prices for agricultural products are waiting. While it needs to maintain peace and order in the country, the junta also needs participation from all groups of people in national reforms, he said.

While the junta's main mechanisms are now the bureaucrats and some groups from the business sector, it has to prove it is firm in the principles of transparency and good governance it had announced, he said.

"I want to see a clear signal from the NCPO [National Council for Peace and Order] of who will do what in the next year. It should also live up its principles and make things go in line with people's expectations for the national reform," he said.

The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) has not begun its work yet, but some members have shown reluctance to declare their assets. Meanwhile, the provisional charter, the Royal Decrees, and the NCPO announcements imposed have allowed many exceptions compared with the previous Constitution.

People holding positions in the independent agencies should not be allowed to double in the NLA or the National Reform Council. Cabinet members should also be free from conflict of interest, he said.

"You (the NCPO) have to try your best to use the same standards as those you want the country to have," he said.

"It's like you (NCPO) are creating a 'decent system' in your opinion, but you say it should only be implemented later," he said adding that he expected the NCPO to use as little exception as possible in running the country.

"I don't want to see problems like this accumulate as the people will lack confidence in the direction our country is going. Some people will be unhappy and they will use this to backlash [at the NCPO]," he said.

In the meantime, the NCPO's continuing political control might result in adding to discontent in people's minds, Abhisit said.

"I wonder why the NCPO has opted to appoint government officials to take care of local administration instead of allowing the elections. They will not take place at the same time nationwide so it would not be too difficult to prevent chaos," Abhisit said.

"Why didn't the NCPO take this chance to demonstrate its fight against electoral fraud? There's the gap between government officials and the people. Villagers now don't have people in the area they can immediately turn to when they face problems. The NCPO might be losing the chance to get support from local politicians and maybe the local people also," Abhisit said.

"This confuses people whether [the NCPO] is really going to push for decentralisation of power as part of the reform or not," he said.

"Thai style of democracy?"

Although he said he did not know exactly what the "Thai style of democracy" mentioned by NCPO chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha meant, democracy should mean more decentralisation, more empowerment for the people and less power for the government. At the same time, people's basic rights must be upheld.

Abhisit pointed out that the key mechanisms employed by the NCPO were the influence of conservative technocrats and people from some giants in the business sectors. Conflicts between the groups pushing for reform and those who want to maintain the status quo are likely.

"It seems the NCPO wants to see the country like it was in the past, in many aspects. Some are possible, others are not. Society has changed, the population and family structures have changed, you can't expect the same."

"Who are farmers nowadays? They no longer depend only on the income from agricultural products," he said.

People might have welcomed the coup on May 22 as it stopped the tense political turmoil, but their opinions will swing as they see more problems in daily life, he said. Support for the coup might decline over time.

Whether the result of the national reform will last long depends on |people's acceptance. When the main consideration will be in the content, the best way to gauge the acceptance is a national referendum, he said.

The Democrat leader also believed ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra still wants an amnesty law, but such a blanket amnesty law is unlikely to be passed because it would create turmoil, as it did last year.

"I think the red shirts who seem to be quiet so far are waiting their time. Now they are waiting to see what the NCPO will do - and whether they will get what they want [in the new constitution]," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Junta-has-started-well-but-next-phase-tougher-Abhi-30241134.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-18

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the face of it I can't see much happening in the area of change, Thailand is deeply cemented in traditional outcomes, so the status quo will remain, whether Thailand moves more towards a more transparent Democracy will depend on the commitment of the ruling elite, I think reforms will establish the ruling elite in a much solid position, a business as usual will prevail after the next elections , anything different would indeed be a miracle. coffee1.gif

Which is??

After how many years of claiming to be a Democratic Nation? still are unable to agree on what the nations style of democracy is ...Come on, really???

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

EricBerg post #7

Mr. Abhisit had his chance as pm. He could not do the job.

Indeed true but why could he not do his job?

Because there was a campaign being conducted, financed and orchestrated by one person to establish a new ruling political dynasty family.

Abhisit failed because he was self serving and beholden to a power elite that were determined that the great mass of the Thai population should not have a valid voice in the way they were governed.

Every academic study of the last two elections has determined the last two elections were the fairest and most representative elections in Thai history - the people voted for whom they wanted in power. You may not like it, and it may not agree with your parallel-worldview, but so be. You stating otherwise over and over in these forums won't change that.

PTP didn't fail then, another poster from the splinter group.

Which is??

After how many years of claiming to be a Democratic Nation? still are unable to agree on what the nations style of democracy is ...Come on, really???

Thai style democracy is SHIN style.

Abhisit's style of leadership = don't take part in democratic elections, hide away and blows a whistle when Phra Suthep demands it and now patting the junta on the back virtually saying "I failed when I was PM and you are doing better"

Yinglucks style of leadership was not to be present at meetings, opening OTOP shops and 50 trips away -on the house---ha ha. I wonder why she failed ???

But the Thai people elected PTP, Thaksin gave her the position. The voters caused this catastrophe. Thaksin loved it all.

• Like 1

The head of the Democrats bending over forwards to those that replaced what he supposedly stands for with military occupation.

And he is one of the educated, isn't he?

What can you say.

Wouldn't you agree, he didn't win the election because of his education-----And Yinglucks quality education stood her in fine stead didn't it ???

• Like 1

Who is Abhisit ?

I've now been in Thailand for almost one year and I'm probably not the only one who have now idea who that Abisit fellow is and what he stands for.

Suggest you get off your bar stool sometime and do a little investigative research - you might well be surprised.

suggest you just ignore this advice, your not missing much. Just let the junta carry on running the show.

On the face of it I can't see much happening in the area of change, Thailand is deeply cemented in traditional outcomes, so the status quo will remain, whether Thailand moves more towards a more transparent Democracy will depend on the commitment of the ruling elite, I think reforms will establish the ruling elite in a much solid position, a business as usual will prevail after the next elections , anything different would indeed be a miracle. coffee1.gif

I agree... has there ever been a situation where money/position/power did not win over the "lower/poorer-classes"? Maybe, but it's rare and it's not how the world's evolution typically works... maybe for the first time in human history, now 'Social Media' has a chance of changing that over the next few years...

Who is Abhisit ?

I've now been in Thailand for almost one year and I'm probably not the only one who have now idea who that Abisit fellow is and what he stands for.

I think you are just 'jazzin' us Johnny, but as honest Abe once said " It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool.............................etc".

Perhaps after a year you might pay more attention to Thai events. Ask any BG who Abhisit is, they'll tell you. This calls for a Carlsberg!

It seems from that spiel that Khun Abhisit is having a p!ssy fit that he is not getting his way and is p!ssed that he is sitting on the side lines twiddling his thumbs. Perhaps he is not seeing many Democrats being accepted among the nominess for the reform groups...tuff...same applies for his crap as it did with Thaksin's lackies...it was you politicians that led or rather misled the country to the mess that it become so collectively shut the f...up and take the medicine the same as all politicial groups in their lawless, corrupt and incompetence self interest over the countries needs should be.

And if he bothered to read news articles Khun Abhisit would see that Khun Prayuths brother and the rest of the military people in the reform groups are happy to provide their assetts statements prior to the September 7th (? think it is that date but could be wrong) deadline. More bleating about nothing. No wonder the Junta seized power of these lemons

Edited by Roadman