Windows 64 bit BSOD After Update

klikster

"On Friday, Microsoft recommended uninstalling a recent security update following reports that it caused Blue Screens of Death.

ComputerWorld reports that the patch—MS 14-045—was first announced on August 12 before it received further attention on Friday. The patch intended to fix three issues including one in the Windows kernel. But soon after it was initially released, a Microsoft support forum thread sprung up with tales of "Stop 0x50 errors," aka blue screens. (ComputerWorld notes the thread has surpassed 50,000 views within the week.)" Source

"Seems like business as usual in the Microsoft Black Tuesday support arena. Windows customers -- not Microsoft -- have found a solution to the Blue Screen of Death/Stop 0x50 error I talked about yesterday. Microsoft, as usual, has been totally AWOL." Source

NEVER use Let windows update automatically with no notification (recommended...yeah right). Just because microsoft says jump, do not say 'how high?' I set my computers to 'notify me of updates, but let me choose when to install them. I did the same with macbook when I owned it (notify, but let me choose when to install).

How often does an update really need to be done on an operating system? I've gone months without updating windows and it works just fine. I do not install random software from the web, and the firewall (with manual whitelisting for each program that wants outbound access) works fine.

• Like 1

From looking at the link provided by the OP sure looks like a lot of folks are impacted....probably machine specific. I did the updates on a fairly new Win 8.1 Lenovo Z510 64 bit machine and the Win 7 updates on the two old A100 Series Toshiba 32 bit machines. Knock on wood but have had no problems...no blue screen of death. I see some people are trying to blame Norton products, but I have Norton 360 Firewall/AntiVirus on my Win 8.1 machine and one of my Win 7 machines....no problems. Yeap, problem is probably machine specific.