New Sports Bar Kad Falang

PostmanPat

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That breakfast looks anaemic to me, this place is round the corner from me but it does seem a bit out of place, at least until the new shopping mall is up and running. I'm not sure how much of a selling point 14 Tv's playing different channels is. If the food is so-so and the beer is expensive I cant see it doing so well - unless they run some great specials and work on doing some special food.

• Like 1

That breakfast looks anaemic to me, this place is round the corner from me but it does seem a bit out of place, at least until the new shopping mall is up and running. I'm not sure how much of a selling point 14 Tv's playing different channels is. If the food is so-so and the beer is expensive I cant see it doing so well - unless they run some great specials and work on doing some special food.

if you haven't been there How can you make a judgement

Maybe all these people who are posting negativity are competitors or friends of competitors or people with agendas. Don't believe what others say. Stop by and make your own judgement.

• Like 1

Hmmmm I live out in Mae Rim so this place is a bit too far in the opposite direction. However that said I have been to the UN Irish and it was fine... and the prices in the UN Irish arent over the top as stated for The Game. Another haunt I have frequented in the past is The Down Under Pub. Great for any sport and Stu is a damn good host. Prices in TDUP are very fair....110 or 105 baht for a large Leo.

I hope The Game succeeds but their prices do put me off right from the get go.... with so much variety out there (Competition) its gonna be a hard road methinks.

Time will tell...

Kiwi... Head north on HWY 107 and make a U Turn right after the road to Pai and head back to the intersection. Spagetti Works on the left near the intersection has beer at half the price of the Kad Farang place and they have lots of sports channels. Pizza is just as good as Dukes!

Maybe all these people who are posting negativity are competitors or friends of competitors or people with agendas. Don't believe what others say. Stop by and make your own judgement.

I have stopped by and made my own judgement: much too expensive for what is being offered. Three or four TV screens would have been sufficient for the location.

I have no agenda apart from getting value for money.

• Like 1

I have stopped by and made my own judgement: much too expensive for what is being offered. Three or four TV screens would have been sufficient for the location.

I have no agenda apart from getting value for money.

As the originator of the thread I feel some responsibility for the lengthy debate, and stress that I really do want The Game to succeed and flourish. Having said that, I popped in for a pint on Saturday night and found it to be a cacophany of too much noise from conflicting events. Yes, finally, the Premiership is on.....but at 9pm Saturday, different screens were simultaneously broadcasting ( with commentary), Aussie Rules Game, Formula 1 qualifying, a Boxing match, a Rugby match, a Scottish football match, and Newcastle v Aston Villa, the game I had gone there to see.

It was literally impossible to concentrate on the Premiership game, so I finished my pint and went to a neighbouring small Thai bar where the only sport on was the Premiership.....the surroundings were much more basic but at least I could see and hear what was going on!!

I guess its a question of getting the right balance but when many of the 12 or 14 screens are right next to each other but showing different events, with noise, its not ideal if you really want to watch a certain event!

Who is being judgemental assuming we haven't been there yet?

It seems you have your own agenda for / with "The Game".

There won't be a game if they don't get their prices sorted soon.

As we've said, this is not Bangkok.

I popped in. 95B a pint of Leo anytime and the guy who looked like he was managing the place said the prices were clearly unsuitable and a new menu would be out shortly.

I thought it offered something different, comfortable, staff were pleasant. I'll go back, hopefully next time I'll be able to justify the price of a pint of Kilkenny.

That's good news. Perhaps a step in the right direction.

Nobody wants it to fail, on the contrary.

• Like 1

So what are the current specials? Saw on their facebook page buy 2 Chiang Export get 1 free but didn't say if they were large or small bottles and what the price was. Would have thought they could have the website up and running by now but that hasn't happened either.

So what are the current specials? Saw on their facebook page buy 2 Chiang Export get 1 free but didn't say if they were large or small bottles and what the price was. Would have thought they could have the website up and running by now but that hasn't happened either.

110B by the looks of the comments on one of their posts.

edit: not clear if large or small, no.

Edited by naboo

Just about the only beer that has been discussed by several here as "undrinkable." But, if they are doing 3 large for 220 thb (which is not verified); then they are getting in the ballpark. The place next door to me shows the soccer until 3am and does 3 large Leos for 200....One big TV....I'm not a soccer fan, but they are surprisingly good neighbors. They had close to 100 people in there last night about midnight. 30-40 THB chicken on rice, from a new place next to it. Now seriously, how many of those 100 would be willing to pay 180 for a pint of draft?

Just about the only beer that has been discussed by several here as "undrinkable." But, if they are doing 3 large for 220 thb (which is not verified); then they are getting in the ballpark. The place next door to me shows the soccer until 3am and does 3 large Leos for 200....One big TV....I'm not a soccer fan, but they are surprisingly good neighbors. They had close to 100 people in there last night about midnight. 30-40 THB chicken on rice, from a new place next to it. Now seriously, how many of those 100 would be willing to pay 180 for a pint of draft?

It's pretty obvious to anyone other than you that they would not be his target audience. Your examples of cheap and cheerful places targeting students, and mostly low income Thais and expats with The Game are ridiculous. We get your point, move on.

How many expats are high income in Chiang Mai? Where I come from, 8 million thb or 250K usd is considered high income......and of those....some don't drink, others only drink at home, and others refuse to pay high prices.

Median household income in Chiang Mai province is likely less than 30K per month.

Edited by Thighlander

How many expats are high income in Chiang Mai? Where I come from, 8 million thb or 250K usd is considered high income......and of those....some don't drink, others only drink at home, and others refuse to pay high prices.

Median household income in Chiang Mai province is likely less than 30K per month.

And in Switzerland, high income is considered 1M USD. But we're in Chiang Mai, not Switzerland, and our dollars go a lot further in so many ways. And I don't see the relevance of the average Thai income here at all. Clearly, this sports bar's target market is expats.

There are a seemingly large number of high rolling expats who hang out driving their Harley's at the X-Centre in Mae Rim.Believe it or not, there's probably a few to the south of the river too.

There are a seemingly large number of high rolling expats who hang out driving their Harley's at the X-Centre in Mae Rim.Believe it or not, there's probably a few to the south of the river too

There is, but not enough to keep this place afloat.

our Dollars go further in so many ways because there are hundreds of places with beer at a lot better prices...How many high rolling expats that visit will even go outside ring 1 road?

That's an amazing fact. I don't even drink beer and yet my dollar is going further because of all the places that offer it cheaply. I want to take this opportunity to thank all the drinkers of cheap beer who keep those establishments going and my expenses down.

• Like 1

Word has it they lowered their food and alcohol prices drastically

Stop by and check it out

Instead of having to stop by to "check it out" why can't they get up a proper website (thegamechiangmai.com still redirects to Bangkok site) where people can see what their prices and any specials are?

This is one of the worst business launches I have seen for an establishment trying to compete on this level. They started off on the wrong foot with their exorbitant prices trying to see if they could find enough takers to overpay instead of offering reasonable prices right from the start. It was always going to be a challenge with the high overhead I am sure they have but they should have focused on building goodwill and a steady flow of customers which they did not.

If they are still around next year I will be surprised. Places like this are usually gone within a matter of months after opening and I doubt this will be any different this time. Maybe when they are gone someone with a little more business savvy can open a similar type bar/restaurant and make it work. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one though.

Stop by and check it out

Instead of having to stop by to "check it out" why can't they get up a proper website (thegamechiangmai.com still redirects to Bangkok site) where people can see what their prices and any specials are?

This is one of the worst business launches I have seen for an establishment trying to compete on this level. They started off on the wrong foot with their exorbitant prices trying to see if they could find enough takers to overpay instead of offering reasonable prices right from the start. It was always going to be a challenge with the high overhead I am sure they have but they should have focused on building goodwill and a steady flow of customers which they did not.

If they are still around next year I will be surprised. Places like this are usually gone within a matter of months after opening and I doubt this will be any different this time. Maybe when they are gone someone with a little more business savvy can open a similar type bar/restaurant and make it work. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one though.

Why you always have to be negative?

Is your life that bad?

In my opinion 1 website works.

Sizzler has one site that lists all there locations

Why should they post their prices

Go there and check it out yourself. dont be a lazy bitter person

Stop by and check it out

Is your life that bad?

Why not post their prices?

Are they afraid of scarring people away?

It seems to be working.

Every restaurant in CM posts their menu and prices online, even Le Crystal the 5 star French joint.

This attitude is doing them no favours whatsoever, no skin off my nose, nor anyone else giving comments here. It's called "constructive criticism".

Nobody seems to have mentioned the new ruling from the good General. Seems this person chose the wrong time to open.

Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

• No more "beer girls"
  • Health warnings on all alcohol products
  • No old bottles of wines or beer can be used to decorate a business
  • No happy hours promotions
  • Promoting alcohol through word of mouth is also illegal
  • No alcohol logos are allowed on glasses, ashtrays and other paraphernalia
  • Punishments of up to six months in jail for various offences
  • All promotion of alcoholic consumption is illegal

Under the newly enforced rules all alcohol products must carry health warnings, sales are banned to anyone under the age of 20, and initiatives promoting alcohol – such as happy hours, free ice and mixers, and the use of ‘beer girls’ – are banned.

No drinking is allowed after midnight in bars or restaurants, even though sales have ended; no alcohol logos are allowed on glasses, ashtrays and other paraphernalia; and bars will not be allowed to display posters or bottles – even old ones – featuring such logos

Bar staff cannot wear T-shirts with alcohol logos, and it is illegal to promote events such as wine and beer tastings. Alcohol logos - or even images accepted as representative of brands, such as a deer head for Benmore or red stars for Heineken - are not allowed to be displayed in sponsorship or any kind of advertising or promotion.

Promoting alcohol through word of mouth is also illegal, so if a waiter is asked to recommend a particular brand of beer he would be breaking the law if he responds. All printed photographs of glasses or bottles in the media must have visible brands and logos blurred.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/755046-tough-new-crackdown-on-alcohol-promotions-in-thailand/

Stop by and check it out

Is your life that bad?

Why not post their prices?

Are they afraid of scarring people away?

It seems to be working.

Every restaurant in CM posts their menu and prices online, even Le Crystal the 5 star French joint.

This attitude is doing them no favours whatsoever, no skin off my nose, nor anyone else giving comments here. It's called "constructive criticism".

Exactly my sentiment but Frank White from Bangkok, who I am guessing has a vested interest in this place, prefers to call me a lazy and bitter person for just stating the facts. No problem as I'm done posting on this and it won't matter in several months anyway as I predict this place will be added to the long list of other short lived CM casualties.