Who Likes Curves?

Ridercnx808

So who are the curve lovers? Those who know displacement is nonsense when youre on an extremely twisty road with turns, twisties, bends...whatever you want to call it. Those who love to ride fast on technical roads because its what they love, and the feeling you get when you execute a curve with precision and the correct exit slings you off.

Do you get aroused when you see a curvy road ahead, do you twitch and get excited at the sight of a challenging technical road, does your throttle hand start to spasm, wanting to 'kill' the curves.

Does a chicken strip beyond 5mm width mean failure to you?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

International sign for motorcyclists to increase their speed.

for me, that sign means; speeding down, looking the conditions around - surface, corner, traffic, mirrors, any movement etc -, and checking and applying other factors such as speed, gear, line, braking, throttle, body movements etc while keeping the capability of your bike in mind such as condition of your bike, tires, brakes etc. and to make things more complex, everything goes with your state of your mind, emotions, mood so concentration is very important lets say you need a mind like in a meditation state.

that sign means a lot actually.

I wonder what my tolerance-ratio is. By that I mean how many extra miles will I ride to avoid straight and find the twisty?

I used to make maps of curvature density, but that was for Nana and the Pong; time to redirect and focus on my new addiction

Sent; how is not important.

Edited by DualSportBiker
  • Like 2

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

for me, that sign means; speeding down, looking the conditions around - surface, corner, traffic, mirrors, any movement etc -, and checking and applying other factors such as speed, gear, line, braking, throttle, body movements etc while keeping the capability of your bike in mind such as condition of your bike, tires, brakes etc. and to make things more complex, everything goes with your state of your mind, emotions, mood so concentration is very important lets say you need a mind like in a meditation state.

that sign means a lot actually.

I think it was a joke! I also think the "likes curves" guys on this thread have some experience and worked out the technical requirements.

• Like 1

I've been exploring back-roads around the furthest parts of Nonthaburi - beat up roads, but even though they are flat, there are plenty of curves...

Nothing beats the roads heading to and in the north. I take the 106 from Theon to Li when I ride to CM; fantastic road. Sports bikers should wait till just before the rainy season 'cause that road gets potholed so badly during the rains and they take a while to fix it.

I do my visa runs in Mae Sot and don't use the highway once I get to Suphan - 3 and 4 digit roads all the way to the 105/1108 junction. The extra distance adds about 40 minutes to the trip, but takes all the hassle of busy roads away; much recommended. That route has plenty of fast (up to 150) stretches of sweeping curves and sections of 2nd and 3rd gear tight turns... I'm due to run there in September and am looking forward to the ride and Moei fish when I get there.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Spot on and if when you see this sign you have to pause to think about the state of your bike , tyres and brakes etc first then you should not be out riding at all..go home and stay home.

A competent rider would simply go for it knowing that all was in order...

• Like 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Spot on and if when you see this sign you have to pause to think about the state of your bike , tyres and brakes etc first then you should not be out riding at all..go home and stay home.

Sorry but fail (especially from an apparent instructor). The post that you were referring to talked also about being aware of the conditions around - state of the road, traffic, mental visualisation of the line, where to apex, entrance speed, body position etc etc. Do you not know that the sign is a hazard warning? Do you "teach" your students to ignore hazard signs?

Edited by Gweiloman
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

so again intuitive ways, aye andre?laugh.png revelations from god before corneringbiggrin.png

intuitive cornering with intuitive counter steering and then voila you are out of the road or worse.

• Like 2

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Sorry but fail (especially from an apparent instructor). The post that you were referring to talked also about being aware of the conditions around - state of the road, traffic, mental visualisation of the line, where to apex, entrance speed, body position etc etc. Do you not know that the sign is a hazard warning? Do you "teach" your students to ignore hazard signs?

hhahaa keep posting..your ignorance continues to shine through..the clique at work again...

The sign is an advisory sign not a hazard sign.....FAIL [again]cheesy.gif you are so lost man,,,,

If you say so. However, any competent rider will tell you that counter steering is a conscious move. You can of course do it intuitively - it just means that it will take you about 10 secs to navigate the two chicanes in Bira as opposed to under 2 secs for those that know how to counter steer correctly :)

Post removed

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

• Like 1

Once again I witness a failing in biker brotherhood. This topic was started by the OP in a spirit of sharing a feeling he gets get when riding a bike fast around curves. It was not to be jumped on by the patrol police and bitch slappers that derail a topic through their own overrated opinions of being a god on two wheels.

<deleted>!

We are all here on this forum in the interest of sharing a common interest. Hard to believe sometimes!

you mean this one i guess Alan, right?

If there is a post derailed the topic by turning this forum to a personal attack and insult ground, that is this post below:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/752843-who-likes-curves/?p=8263270

Moreover, everybody has some different ideas please do not expect every rider to be same stereotype.

Some are squids, some are riders. for some it is fun for others it is work or commuting.

And, everybody has different ideas about curves! Some like doing it intuitive! some like it doing with preparation and caution. So what is wrong with that?

sorry but when i hear a rider recommending intuitive ways or simply words that can put others lives in danger. i correct and respond. like this sentence 'A competent rider would simply go for it knowing that all was in order...'

like revelations coming from god!

So, please direct your criticism somewhere appropriate as you are beating the wrong donkey.

Edited by ll2

Who's broken the promise of 'going slow' for the sake of slower riders - in the presence of tasty curves ?

me! But thankfully, ride with groups that allow short speed bursts and freedom for curves!

Thanks to my riding buddies again and again.

• Like 1

Once again I witness a failing in biker brotherhood. This topic was started by the OP in a spirit of sharing a feeling he gets get when riding a bike fast around curves. It was not to be jumped on by the patrol police and bitch slappers that derail a topic through their own overrated opinions of being a god on two wheels.

<deleted>!

We are all here on this forum in the interest of sharing a common interest. Hard to believe sometimes!

you mean this one i guess Alan, right?

If there is a post derailed the topic by turning this forum to a personal attack and insult ground, that is this post below:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/752843-who-likes-curves/?p=8263270

Moreover, everybody has some different ideas please do not expect every rider to be same stereotype.

Some are squids, some are riders. for some it is fun for others it is work or commuting.

And, everybody has different ideas about curves! Some like doing it intuitive! some like it doing with preparation and caution. So what is wrong with that?

sorry but when i hear a rider recommending intuitive ways or simply words that can put others lives in danger. i correct and respond. like this sentence 'A competent rider would simply go for it knowing that all was in order...'

like revelations coming from god!

So, please direct your criticism somewhere appropriate as you are beating the wrong donkey.

My appologies ..i used the word ''incompetent'' and you seem to be very upset about this...nothing personal about it..just replying to a post that you happened to make

Please delete incompetent and insert inexperienced because that is only what else it can be.

Come on man..out riding on a bike and you see the hazard advisory sign telling it's all curves ahead and instead of going for it , as the vast majority of riders would do..[knowing all the parameters for your bike safety..brakes, tyres, and general roadworthiness are in order before you even left home] you need to hesitate and think about it all first..undeniably shows a lack in experience and in some people total incompetence...There's no other way to describe it.

yeah, i agree with you andre.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did."

you just say something to try being difficult on whatever me and a couple of people here comment and believe me you look so funnycheesy.gif

• Like 1

And it gets worse............. If you guys need a place for a spat its not here!

I love riding curves as I believe its what bikes were made for. Technology has given us better chassis and radial sticky tyres to pursue this end.

An "advisory" sign showing a bendy road ahead gets me sat up in the seat, smiling and looking forward to some fun.

I know my bike is prepared and ready as I have checked it well before I started out and I am constantly feeling what it is telling me........ Once I commit to the curves I am totally focused and enjoying that moment. The feeling and awareness of everything happening at that moment gels me and the bike as one. If thats not the case time to abort!

Years of experience remove some of the fear that less experienced riders should have "but" that fear is always a factor. That fear is balanced by the knowledge of your skills and ability, coupled with the machine your riding and the maintain and the condition and environment you are riding in.

When everything comes together and you nail the curve or curves then its the biggest thrill ever and very hard to explain to somebody that does not get it.

Sure enough as the years have passed me bye I leave plenty in hand these days. That said I have my moments and if everything is in order I will push myself and the bike to "my" limits.

I have to say, if I was so paranoid and concerned with all the safety requirements that some insist upon in this topic, then I see little enjoyment to be had in riding a motorcycle. I drive a car because sometimes I have too. I ride a bike because I can't think of never wanting too!

• Like 2

Posts removed
7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

• Like 2

Who thinks different types of curves require different forms of attack?

For example a 'tight' set of twisty curves should be handled differently than a set of sweeping curves.

To me, curves are close to 100% what motorcycling is all about..thumbsup.gif Straights are boring...

Who thinks different types of curves require different forms of attack?

Because there are so many varying factors..ie you are not likely to get any two curves exactly the same anyway and each and every curve has to be treated as you find it and yes i guess, to use your words do require a different form of attack.

What this form of attack is, is dependent on so many factors , as i said, from ones own abilty to read a corner immediately, initially,which is dependent on your personal skillset, confidence and competence,thereby naturally, automatically allowing you to make the right decision on how to transit this corner and all the following ones safely and naturally as fast as you possibly can and or want..

Naturally the more you ride, and the more curves you take , and practise a lot,the easier it all becomes, to the point where you dont even dwell on the process ie it becomes intuitive..

PS for the pedantic few...intuitive intuitively

adverb instinctively, automatically, spontaneously, involuntarily, innately, instinctually

The conditions for any particular corner can also vary day to day, weather, traffic, road conditions all play a part and must be factored in also .

For example a 'tight' set of twisty curves should be handled differently than a set of sweeping curves.

It boils down tho, all things being equal that the only other real difference between tight twistys and long sweepers is your actual speed through them...

Edited by andreandre