Gastric Bypass Surgery

Sakeopete

I met an engineer at work that had the procedure done he was very open about it and was happy about sharing his experience. He had his surgery done in the US and the results are amazing. He even kept an Excel spread sheet documenting his progress.

I was checking the net and noticed it offered in Bangkok. After inquiring, the cost is about 550 000 Baht. Having used medical services at the top hospitals in Bangkok that figure seems high. Also my biggest worry is quality as most Thai institutions seem immune to liability will they have the same measure of professionalism and care as a hospital based in the west.

Has anybody gone through the procedure in Thailand or know people who have?

I met an engineer at work that had the procedure done he was very open about it and was happy about sharing his experience. He had his surgery done in the US and the results are amazing. He even kept an Excel spread sheet documenting his progress.

I was checking the net and noticed it offered in Bangkok. After inquiring, the cost is about 550 000 Baht. Having used medical services at the top hospitals in Bangkok that figure seems high. Also my biggest worry is quality as most Thai institutions seem immune to liability will they have the same measure of professionalism and care as a hospital based in the west.

No, I don't. But I wouldn't be surprised if the international hosps in Thaland have more experience with the procedure than most hospitals in the west simply because they do it on demand for those who can pay, whereas in the west almost no-one can afford to self-pay and the insurance companies are very stringent on who they will cover for this procedure.

It's true that there isn't much legal recourse here but that doesn't necessarily mean the quality of care is lower. You can check out the qualifications of the surgeons doing this procedure and look for ones board-certified in the west.

BUT what you should know is that this is no small procedure, it is major surgery and carries risks as well as long-term nutritional and other health consequences. For these reasons it is done in Western countries only as a last resort for obesity so severe that it threatens the person's health.

In other words, you can probably get the procedure done with the same level of care as in the west -- but in allowing you to have the procedure at all, the Thai hospitals may be less than responsible in the medical sense. If you are in the west know I'd suggest you get a few opinions on the risk/benefit of the procudre in your specific case. and see if you still want to go for it after you have all that information.

No, I don't. But I wouldn't be surprised if the international hosps in Thaland have more experience with the procedure than most hospitals in the west simply because they do it on demand for those who can pay, whereas in the west almost no-one can afford to self-pay and the insurance companies are very stringent on who they will cover for this procedure.

It's true that there isn't much legal recourse here but that doesn't necessarily mean the quality of care is lower. You can check out the qualifications of the surgeons doing this procedure and look for ones board-certified in the west.

BUT what you should know is that this is no small procedure, it is major surgery and carries risks as well as long-term nutritional and other health consequences. For these reasons it is done in Western countries only as a last resort for obesity so severe that it threatens the person's health.

In other words, you can probably get the procedure done with the same level of care as in the west -- but in allowing you to have the procedure at all, the Thai hospitals may be less than responsible in the medical sense. If you are in the west know I'd suggest you get a few opinions on the risk/benefit of the procudre in your specific case. and see if you still want to go for it after you have all that information.

Thanks Sheryl sounds like good advice!

• 3 weeks later...

Visit www.ThaiMakeOver.com and visit their "Ask The Doctor Page" He is an American Doctor who help to introduce Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery to Thailand. To my knowledge there are only a handful of doctors who are qualified to perform this surgery in Thailand and Dr. Miller knows him. I would be interested to hear what you learn.