rental houses in pattaya, old and boring

vento

Hi.. ive been looking at renting a house in Pattaya, so ive been around checking the oppertunities.

First of all, everything more or less i found online was non existing.

Was kind of hard to find anything that looked even remote nice.

Furnites old, property looks not maintained. or not my style (old dark wood furnitues)

I got of got the impression that some of these houses looked nice years ago, but landlord just keep re-renting it, raising the rate and dont do any repair/paiting.

Ive been looking in 30-60k range. in the upper end i could find something reasonable, but wasnt happy about location, loud music from nearby bar etc etc

Am i doing it wrong? Is it unreasonable to expect to find a reasonable nice house (prefer pool) for say 50k/month?

Cheers

Dont assume that the advertised price bears any relation at all to what the place is actually worth. Go in with a very low offer. If it isnt accepted, just make an offer for another place. There are many times more empty places here than there are tenants for them, and advertising absurdly high prices is the national pastime.

• Like 2

I've got a lovely rental house on the dark side. Quiet by the lake with 2 beds/bathrooms/washroom/study/loads of storage space/all new furniture and the landlord cannot do enough for me. Let's just say that if you are budgeting for 30-50k a month my rent is about half of that.

How did I find it? Well, as other posters have said, you need to look around and take a trip up the soi's on a motorbike or something. The house next to mine is identical in layout and is a bargain to rent. However, few, if any, potential renters come up our soi, perhaps because it's so quit.

• Like 2

Dont assume that the advertised price bears any relation at all to what the place is actually worth. Go in with a very low offer. If it isnt accepted, just make an offer for another place. There are many times more empty places here than there are tenants for them, and advertising absurdly high prices is the national pastime.

ok, any ideas what the norm of "rebate" here is?

I actually wondered about this, because the houses i saw already had been emtpy for quite a while, however, asking agent about this, i could maybe get a 55k house for 52k or something... maybe it was just that agent.. not sure

Lots of mildly attractive villages on the Darkside. Drive along Noen Pub Waan (Suk-Pat soi 53).

but these villages have security right? Or maybe thats excatly what i should be doing? talking directly to security if anything available in these villages?

ok, any ideas what the norm of "rebate" here is?

I actually wondered about this, because the houses i saw already had been emtpy for quite a while, however, asking agent about this, i could maybe get a 55k house for 52k or something... maybe it was just that agent.. not sure

There is no norm. It all depends on how silly the asking price is, and some are very silly indeed. Why not offer 50%?

As for agents, if you believe them you will believe anything.

• Like 1

It's really hit and miss with online websites here. I went through the same frustrating search several years ago. Almost rented a place based on the pics. Decided not to and am I glad I didn't. Easy to snap some pics to make a place look really good. In person, it wasn't so good.

What part of town interests you? Best to try and narrow the search down as Pattaya is a big area in you include the surrounding areas. One good thing about the online ads is you can get an idea of a village, and then go there in person and ask the manager what's available. We have houses in our village for rent that are not advertised. The manager handles the showing and gets a bit of a commission when the place is rented...or sold.

Here's another place to look:

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/ads/search/1/categ_id/5/start_price/20000/end_price/60000/currency/5/county/11/ord/price/sens/asc/

For 30,000B/month, you should be able to find a very nice home. Noise is almost always a problem. Especially at night. Some bars don't open till late. Best to go by the property on a Friday night and see what you hear before renting.

• Like 1

Never pay what the house is advertized at ,8 years ago we made an offer on a house ,and they wouldnt budge on the price ,so we made an offer on another and it was accepted (15k less a month and very nice with no problem to small for the owner ,8 years later the house we originally made the offer on is still empty ,although someone did rent it for 6 months . i bet the first guy is still kicking himself.

reiterate that about not paying what the agents say. My house is advertised as available at a price 50% + more than I actually pay. The house across the road is being advertised at a price 30% more than the owner is looking for. I assume agents get commission from the rental price so they always charge top dollar. Cut them out of the equation and go searching yourself. If you see a house you like but only has an agents sign on it, speak to a few neighbours and you will soon get the number for the owner.

With that budget, you should be able to find something really nice with a poll

Something like this would do me

http://www.pattaya-property.net/?p=detail〈=&ref=HR2187

I think if I'm reading this right that is what the OP is looking for, looks a beauty.

I agree with the OP, most houses here just don't look very nice at all. My house is on a nice village, I pay 25k a month for a 3 bedder, the house is nice enough but no way would I buy it. Not many houses here that blow you away IMO.

Here's another place to look:

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/ads/search/1/categ_id/5/start_price/20000/end_price/60000/currency/5/county/11/ord/price/sens/asc/

For 30,000B/month, you should be able to find a very nice home. Noise is almost always a problem. Especially at night. Some bars don't open till late. Best to go by the property on a Friday night and see what you hear before renting.

This is quite a good example of online ads. clicking on the link reveals a lot of properties from 2012. ok, i can click search and limit my search options to latest 90 days or something i will get current results.

but, well... if any admins are readint this, maybe a database purge is relevant? :)

The lack of quality rentals here is a pet hate of mine - I know EXACTLY what you mean in your original post.

Really nice houses in Pattaya and Jomtien are like rocking horse sh1t, you almost never see them and when you do they tend to be ones that your friends are renting. They are here, but allot of owners won't rent them out fearing what the Pattaya renters will do to them allot of the time.

If it helps the village where you will get what you want is Jomtien Park Villas - pretty much the best location in Pattaya but is run by, well if say what those people are I will probably get banned from the forum. I would go back in there in a flash if they changed the front office staff and estate management.

On the Darkside Baan Anda is nice and well maintained, but you'll need an electric fence or big dog to stop the break ins, same at JPV's. If you do find anything else of a high standard that isn't noisy at night, please post on here - I've pretty pretty much given looking nowadays...

Jomtien park villas look nice. could not find anything free (online) and cheapest one i saw was 85k. but looks very nice

Darkside baan Anda looks nice also, but kind of not fancy to have break ins :)

If you cannot find anything from 30-50,000 baht a month, you are not looking in the right areas

Or maybe setting my expectations to high. Just seem strange to me, that i back home (europe) cant rent a really cool house for 50-60k where the land is more expensive, the isolations/heating and build quality is higher and more expensive. the furnitues are most likely of a better quality as well.

Even in bkk condo, in some of the most expensive locations, i could find a reasonable condo at this price level.

But yes, maybe i need to do this another way. look at something more expensive, find the estate myself, negotiate directly with owner if possible.

Lots of mildly attractive villages on the Darkside. Drive along Noen Pub Waan (Suk-Pat soi 53).

but these villages have security right? Or maybe thats excatly what i should be doing? talking directly to security if anything available in these villages?

Drive past security and look at the gates for signs yourself. If security ask tell them you are looking for a place to rent.

Drive past security and look at the gates for signs yourself. If security ask tell them you are looking for a place to rent.

so much for security

one poster talked about breakins

another poster say just drive past security.

Patty seems like a nice secure place to stat :) :)

I pay 15k for a nice house in NaJomtien. Western standard with imported furniture from Italy. No security except the dogs barking at strangers. But a solid lock and fence keep uninvited guests out.

• 3 weeks later...

Beware of the neighbor's yapping mutts also.

Spend some time around a potential place at night.

I moved in to a decent 3 br/ 2.5 bath house in Eakmongkol 4 once.

The "lady" across the street had a poodle.....Then she'd feed soi dogs right outside her front gate, so the poodle would yap at them all night long. It was maddening!

• Like 1