Philippine Vacation

junglechef

I do realise that Chiang Mai is in Thailand but there is no forum for this locale and I respect the advice from the boys in my hood.

Thinking of hitting the southern Islands for a week and another up North for some Mt Biking weather permitting.

Any suggestions about anything there, spent a few weeks last year at this time and loved the people, the food, the weather and all the stuff to do.

Thanks, JC

I use to live on an island called Bohol. 2 causeways join to another island called Panglao. Its a bit of a tourist trap but the diving in the area is great. Quite a few other tourist attractions in the area too.

I wouldnt say Philippine cuisine is great or even up their in the top list of catering styles. However it tis different.....balut or blue chicken eggs being one I have tried.

Nice enough country, but not as advanced as Thailand (In my opinion)

Have a great trip

• Like 1

i work in the phils every few months, the place is backward in my opinion.

the islands are fine, some are gorgeous, if in metro manila and you are living and working anywhere but fort bonifacio global city, god help you.

• Like 1

Plenty of decent islands to visit in the south but it can be hard work getting between them.
What do you mean by up North. Baguio or similar?

Spectacular views on the road from Baguio over to Bonaue (via Sagada) but more suited to a motor bike and not advisable until the end of the rainy season (early October)

Baguio in the north is a pretty interesting place. Cool and crisp (mile high altitude). The problem is that this time of year, it is going to rain about an inch a day there. Also, the American-built roads while technically great for biking, are clogged with Jeepneys and other cars and you would definitely risk your life on a bike. There are plenty of other places to explore in the north that are not as crowded.

In the South, a week is not really long enough to see much...maybe best to stay on one island. There are a dozen or so great locations in the visayas, it just depends what you want to do down there. More information is needed before I could make a recommendation to you.

• Like 1

Went to Angeles City early this year. Ugh, X1000. Rampant loud, smoky 'trike' taxis either zooming around aimlessly or massing on corners crying out for passengers. Beggar children sleeping mid-day along the 'walking street', girls skinny as bean poles inviting me in to the bar, food cooked hours ago sitting in trays full of flies. The place competes with mainland china for pollution and general dirt. Guns hanging from the hips of teenager 'security' guards guarding the convenience store. No thanks/

Thanks, last year I landed in Angles City, went to Manila flew to Cebu and biked (w/ferry) to Panglao and Bohol Islands. Snorkeled with Whale Sharks in Oslop, Mt biked again in Moalboal and Panay Island. Over to Llooilo City and then to Boracay for some chilling and a bit more biking. I've traveled the world my whole life and it was up there as enjoyable place as any, great people, nightlife and great, I mean really exceptional food. As I want to spend time north mt biking, by which I mean not on roads but in the mountains, I think I'll wait till after rainy season on the advice given here. I travel to enjoy whatever the location has to offer often by bicycle with a food centric approach.

So I guess I might try Cambodia next week. Anybody mt biked there or have any suggestions? Will do Anchor Wat since it's been 46 yrs since I was there last. Probably one night in Phonem Phem as I was there 5 yrs ago and didn't care for it.

Thanks, last year I landed in Angles City, went to Manila flew to Cebu and biked (w/ferry) to Panglao and Bohol Islands. Snorkeled with Whale Sharks in Oslop, Mt biked again in Moalboal and Panay Island. Over to Llooilo City and then to Boracay for some chilling and a bit more biking. I've traveled the world my whole life and it was up there as enjoyable place as any, great people, nightlife and great, I mean really exceptional food. As I want to spend time north mt biking, by which I mean not on roads but in the mountains, I think I'll wait till after rainy season on the advice given here. I travel to enjoy whatever the location has to offer often by bicycle with a food centric approach.

So I guess I might try Cambodia next week. Anybody mt biked there or have any suggestions? Will do Anchor Wat since it's been 46 yrs since I was there last. Probably one night in Phonem Phem as I was there 5 yrs ago and didn't care for it.

Got to agree with all you said - except the food. It has to be the worst in Asia, and I'm not talking about the local food, not the burgers and hot dog side of it!

Definitely wait until after the wet season. Many mountain roads and tracks get washed out or simply disappear down 2000 ft land slides in the wet season. It is nothing like the wet season in Thailand where you might get away with the odd heavy shower. Think 20 hours down pour with 4 hours of drizzle day after day.