start working without work permit

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks for all of your answers but still my question is once I got the work permit am I still in danger because I started without it?

It is highly unlikely. It would be to no advantage for the company to report you as they would be admitting to employing you without the correct documentation. If someone is threatening you with disclosure, that is another matter, but 9 out of 10 times threats like this are hot air.

What I would be concerned about is working on a tourist visa, especially with the clampdown that is going on at the moment.

Edit: As it is a non-educational job (your post #5) if the labour department decide to check the premises you will be working at, they will likely come down harder on yourself & the company employing.

"What I would be concerned about is working on a tourist visa, especially with the clampdown that is going on at the moment."
The first priority should be for lemon40 to get the paperwork required for the non-imm "B" visa from the employer. Then make a visa run and get that done.
The next priority should be to get a copy of the WP3 receipt to be certain that the employer has lodged the application for WP. This should be done within a reasonable period.
Having done both of the above the OP will have substantially complied with the rules.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks for all of your answers but still my question is once I got the work permit am I still in danger because I started without it?

It is highly unlikely. It would be to no advantage for the company to report you as they would be admitting to employing you without the correct documentation. If someone is threatening you with disclosure, that is another matter, but 9 out of 10 times threats like this are hot air.

What I would be concerned about is working on a tourist visa, especially with the clampdown that is going on at the moment.

Edit: As it is a non-educational job (your post #5) if the labour department decide to check the premises you will be working at, they will likely come down harder on yourself & the company employing.

"What I would be concerned about is working on a tourist visa, especially with the clampdown that is going on at the moment."
The first priority should be for lemon40 to get the paperwork required for the non-imm "B" visa from the employer. Then make a visa run and get that done.
The next priority should be to get a copy of the WP3 receipt to be certain that the employer has lodged the application for WP. This should be done within a reasonable period.
Having done both of the above the OP will have substantially complied with the rules.

It is not for teaching hence he should first apply for a Work Permit and get a WP3 form from the labour office before he applies for a non-B visa. Without it he will not get a non-B visa. A formal letter from the labour office confirming his application might also be rrequired, depending on the consulate he applies.

• Like 1

The employer should get a WP3 letter from the Labor Department. This is quick and easy to do. Take that letter and a few other documents to an embassy outside thailand. Apply for a temporary 90 day non-b visa. Come back to Thailand and submit your work permit application (you must have the temp non-b to apply for a work permit). You CAN then legally work while the work permit application is being processed --- but note that local immigration officers/police often don't know or care that you may legally work if you have a temp non-b and your work permit application is being processed (processed = already submitted to the immigration office). So you may still get hassled.

If you can afford to hire a reputable (get references!) visa assistance company, that may help significantly.

• Like 1

96tehtarp and chrisinth thanks for your answer.

To others, I didn't ask if working without WP is illegal or how to get one, so why are you talking about this?

I know it's illegal and for the process I can open another topic. Please read again the question.

So I'm not arguing on the answers, it's just that you are out of topic.

• Like 1

96tehtarp and chrisinth thanks for your answer.To others, I didn't ask if working without WP is illegal or how to get one, so why are you talking about this? I know it's illegal and for the process I can open another topic. Please read again the question.So I'm not arguing on the answers, it's just that you are out of topic.

I guess my question to you would be why would you work without the work permit? I suspect this is why I and others offered information on getting one.

But as to your question - if you do not get caught while working without a WP, can the fact that you did come back and bite you later? ... possibly, but unlikely. It's unlikely that the employer would turn you in, as it's also illegal for them to employ you without a WP. But in theory, yes, you could later face consequences.

It is very common for companies to ask to work asap and the paperwork will be done at a later time.

My suggestion is to stay away from those companies, specially if they are small and either run by Thais or Foreigners.

Good advice, but it certainly narrows the field when he has to avoid companies run by either Foreigners or Thais...what's left?

Basically many untrustworthy companies are too lazy or don't want to process the documentation for work permit until after some kind of probabtionary period. However, you should have the work permit in your hand on your first day. That is the law and that is what the professional companies do.

• Like 1

Just a note.

When you get a WP, your employer and yourself have to start paying taxes on your salary. If work is started it is advantageous for the employer to start withholding money from the employee but not paying into the tax since there is no WP.... yet.

Most don't realize this and it's hardly ever mentioned on here. They withhold say Bt800 (the amount depends on the salary) and, if asked, they say it's for tax. You wonder why month after month goes by and still no WP?

There's a dozen stories posted by people who took the matter into their own hands, filled out the papers, went to the MOL themselves and were successful in a matter of days and a few visits.

Of course I can't find those !^*@+ posts now. But I am really sure about them.

'nuff said

~

A WP3 form normally signafies that.

It is a half A4 format form, not the WP3 form you can download from the labour office site.

Thanks

I agree it is illegal to work without a WP, however I think that having a WP under consideration would be substantial compliance if the worker's visa allows employment. Tourist visas and retirement extensions/visas are "Employment Prohibited."

This half A4 format form. Who issues it? Is there a link to an image of one we can see?

I think the official rules for Tourist Visa are for tourism only. You are prohibited from seeking work while on a Tourist Visa.

But - you can not get a non-immigrant B visa without having a job provide paper work to get the Visa.

I think everyone with a job has violated this.

I think normal practice in Thailand is upon being accepted for employment (while on a tourist visa) the jobs gives you the paper work for a Non-Immigrant Visa.

I believe you are allowed to work with non-immigrant B visa while the jobs processes the paperwork for the work permit (but I think they usually drag their heals)

I have never heard of anybody getting in trouble work while on a non-immigrant B visa. Many people start working on a tourist Visa while the jobs gets the paper work for the non-immigrant Visa.

If you are being offered employment at a company that regularly hires foreigners - then I would not worry about them coming back to you

Tourist Visa definitely prohibit looking for a job.

Thailand needs to review their Visas Possible they need a visa for people entering Thailand for the purpose of finding a job - but do not already have a job.

96tehtarp and chrisinth thanks for your answer.To others, I didn't ask if working without WP is illegal or how to get one, so why are you talking about this? I know it's illegal and for the process I can open another topic. Please read again the question.So I'm not arguing on the answers, it's just that you are out of topic.

You asked if you can get in trouble a month or two later (when having a WP) if you worked illegal before. Isn't the answer obvious? Yes you could have trouble for working illegal a month before police/immigration found out about it

It is very common for companies to ask to work asap and the paperwork will be done at a later time.

My suggestion is to stay away from those companies, specially if they are small and either run by Thais or Foreigners.

"...and either run by Thais or Foreigners."

The implication being if the business is not run by Thais or foreigners, it would be OK? Who exactly would that be then?

I also might have a job with a government school. If I get the job they want me to start tomorrow. I'm on a double tourist visa.

Should I do it?

You are so close to end of term, about 2 months or less. That can be as much time as a work permit can take (at it's slowest).

I'd try to start at beginning of term, with a work permit in hand, and it's a fresh start from the beginning.

Actually my question isn't is it risky or should I work without work permit. My question is, once you start without work permit and you got it, am I still at risk?

No. No one will ever dig through the paperwork to realize that your work start date and your work permit date of issue are a month or so different. But if it takes more time than that there's something wrong with your employer.

I think the official rules for Tourist Visa are for tourism only. You are prohibited from seeking work while on a Tourist Visa.

False. You can seek a job, but not work it. Seeking a job is not working and is not prohibited. With ANY type of visa or visa exempt, one can legally apply for a work permit, be issued letter of approval for work, but will not receive the work permit until he/she have a non-Imm 'B' Visa.

But - you can not get a non-immigrant B visa without having a job provide paper work to get the Visa.

I think normal practice in Thailand is upon being accepted for employment (while on a tourist visa) the jobs gives you the paper work for a Non-Immigrant Visa.

I believe you are allowed to work with non-immigrant B visa while the jobs processes the paperwork for the work permit (but I think they usually drag their heals)

I have never heard of anybody getting in trouble work while on a non-immigrant B visa. Many people start working on a tourist Visa while the jobs gets the paper work for the non-immigrant Visa.

If you are being offered employment at a company that regularly hires foreigners - then I would not worry about them coming back to you

Definitely NOT prohibited.

• Like 1

Geez don't all the imposter teachers and others get it.

You are not allowed to work in thailand without the correct visa.

Thailand has been slack. Try doing this in farang land. Hope you all get kicked out.

Not referring to the op. He sounds like wants to do right thing. Good idea,. U

A WP3 form normally signafies that.

It is a half A4 format form, not the WP3 form you can download from the labour office site.

Thanks

I agree it is illegal to work without a WP, however I think that having a WP under consideration would be substantial compliance if the worker's visa allows employment. Tourist visas and retirement extensions/visas are "Employment Prohibited."

This half A4 format form. Who issues it? Is there a link to an image of one we can see?

Thailand needs to review their Visas Possible they need a visa for people entering Thailand for the purpose of finding a job - but do not already have a job.

I have never read such nonsense.