Gaza conflict: Truce ends amid fresh fighting

webfact

If that's a victory then I'd hate to see a defeat, idiots.

Or maybe not.

This war isn't over.

Just a break.

I'm sure the "River to the Sea" "Jew Free Palestine" Hamas cheerleaders will be happy to hear this though!

http://www.timesofisrael.com/those-hamas-victory-celebrations-should-not-be-easily-dismissed/

And if, under a long-term deal, Hamas is able to replicate Hezbollah’s strategy in Lebanon — to retain full or significant control of Gaza, to re-arm, to build a still more potent killing mechanism — then its claims of victory, appallingly, will be justified.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I have attempted to answer your question about what I see as an appropriate response. In return, I would like to ask you to share your thoughts about the following: given we are stuck in this morass, what do you see as the long-term solution in terms of actions by Israel? (I'm tired of being told what Palestinians must do - there are two parties in this conflict. It is beneficial for us readers if you refer to Israel, being that is the country for which you have much more detailed knowledge). What can Israel do to help arrive at a point where Palestinians choose not to import arms to defend/attack? What can Israel do to arrive at a point where Palestinians want to get on with their neighbours in Israel so that all of their children (Israeli and Palestinian) can grow up in safety? How do we arrive at a point where Israel no longer spends 20% of its budget on warfare, but spends it on education, environment and quality of life projects for its citizens? What can Israel do that might ensure Palestine can be relied on as a reasonable neighbour who will not support the movements of terrorists hell bent on destroying Israel? What must Israel do?

It is a little bit sad. A claim is made over and over again, regarding how disproportionate Israel's military response was/is (and I do not disagree with that claim). A question is then raised as to what would constitute a proportional (or accepted) response to Hamas firing all these rockets at Israel, which never ever gets a direct answer. It is always either repeating that Israel's actual response was disproportionate, or tagging the question as a deflection attempt, or (as in the above post) going on about negotiations, international forces, and historical factors leading to this point in time.

So to get this straight - there was no attempt to answer the question, but an attempt to indulge in a rambling review of all the things that Israel should do now (as opposed to the question, which referred to what Israel's response should have been), coupled with a one-sided placement of blame and historical review.

Not sure how you can be tired of being told what Palestinians must do - that is something which you rarely refer to at all.

Morch, is there a special course on snide avoidance that is offered to pro-Israeli bloggers, or are you self-taught? I had the courtesy to reply to the question - even if you didn't like my answers. And why is it that you - Morch - takes over the conversation between myself and dr-lucas? Is this some pre-organised pro-Israeli blogger response system we are dealing with here?

You both have offered little other than negativity throughout this thread. Not one constructive word from you as to what would constitute a better response from Israel to the Gaza conflict, or how it could best be managed without the unwanted deaths on both sides. Any suggestions, however timid, of what Israel could/should have done? Forget about Palestine for the moment - you position yourselves as having good on-the-ground knowledge about Israel, so your views on Palestine of course will be less sophisticated, less valuable for us, than what you can suggest regarding appropriate actions from Israel. Go for it guys - how about some useful and constructive suggestions about the way forward for Israel? Or is that just too hard?

Edited by CBR250
  • Like 1

So, I have attempted to answer your question about what I see as an appropriate response. In return, I would like to ask you to share your thoughts about the following: given we are stuck in this morass, what do you see as the long-term solution in terms of actions by Israel? (I'm tired of being told what Palestinians must do - there are two parties in this conflict. It is beneficial for us readers if you refer to Israel, being that is the country for which you have much more detailed knowledge). What can Israel do to help arrive at a point where Palestinians choose not to import arms to defend/attack? What can Israel do to arrive at a point where Palestinians want to get on with their neighbours in Israel so that all of their children (Israeli and Palestinian) can grow up in safety? How do we arrive at a point where Israel no longer spends 20% of its budget on warfare, but spends it on education, environment and quality of life projects for its citizens? What can Israel do that might ensure Palestine can be relied on as a reasonable neighbour who will not support the movements of terrorists hell bent on destroying Israel? What must Israel do?

It is a little bit sad. A claim is made over and over again, regarding how disproportionate Israel's military response was/is (and I do not disagree with that claim). A question is then raised as to what would constitute a proportional (or accepted) response to Hamas firing all these rockets at Israel, which never ever gets a direct answer. It is always either repeating that Israel's actual response was disproportionate, or tagging the question as a deflection attempt, or (as in the above post) going on about negotiations, international forces, and historical factors leading to this point in time.

So to get this straight - there was no attempt to answer the question, but an attempt to indulge in a rambling review of all the things that Israel should do now (as opposed to the question, which referred to what Israel's response should have been), coupled with a one-sided placement of blame and historical review.

Not sure how you can be tired of being told what Palestinians must do - that is something which you rarely refer to at all.

Morch, is there a special course on snide avoidance that is offered to pro-Israeli bloggers, or are you self-taught? I had the courtesy to reply to the question - even if you didn't like my answers. And why is it that you - Morch - takes over the conversation between myself and dr-lucas? Is this some pre-organised pro-Israeli blogger response system we are dealing with here?

You both have offered little other than negativity throughout this thread. Not one constructive word from you as to what would constitute a better response from Israel to the Gaza conflict, or how it could best be managed without the unwanted deaths on both sides. Any suggestions, however timid, of what Israel could/should have done? Forget about Palestine for the moment - you position yourselves as having good on-the-ground knowledge about Israel, so your views on Palestine of course will be less sophisticated, less valuable for us, than what you can suggest regarding appropriate actions from Israel. Go for it guys - how about some useful and constructive suggestions about the way forward for Israel? Or is that just too hard?

I wouldn't know, just got a told off today for not being totally on-board with party line. Not that I liked or did not like your answer, more to do with this question never getting a direct answer, and your post being no different in that regard. It is not a shame to admit one does not have a clear answer on how to deal with some aspects of this situation or that one is fresh out of ideas.

As far as I am aware forum discussions are not private messaging and so there's no "taking over a conversation" between two posters. Seeing as you do the same on other topics, you may want to reconsider your position. As for the paranoia - better see a shrink, can't help you there. I post as I see fit, not in collusion with anyone or as subject to some directions.

If you feel that my posts (not taking responsibility for other posters opinions) reflect a negative stance, that might very well be true. It does, however, come from a closer experience and a rather more informed background on these matters relative to most posters. This does not mean I have not offered some take on how things (in general, not necessarily the current situation between Israel and the Hamas) might be improved, if not solved. Your assertion that I have not done so is both incorrect and misguided. Granted, my thoughts on this may not fully conform to what you may consider an acceptable solution. Belitteling my opinions on this as "less sophisticated, less valuable" for an imaginary "us" is a nice touch - if it makes you somehow feel superior, have a ball.

A bit disingenuous of you not to answer to the point, engage in a diatribe, and then demand an answer according to your terms. I will be happy to elaborate on the theme you raised, once you make an effort and actually address the question raised.

Geez, and I was under the impression that it was CBR250 taking over a conversation I had "with Seastallion" on this very thread which Morch was replying to:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/753213-gaza-conflict-truce-ends-amid-fresh-fighting/page-12#entry8288709

• Like 1

The hateful, dishonest rhetoric and mudslinging is not winning any arguments.

Morch has a real knowledge of the conflict and is not firmly on either side - although he does believe in Israel's right to exist. I guess that is too much for some very partisan people.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Interesting what Jimmy says.

Talking about President Carter, here's his latest press release:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jimmy Carter To Give Keynote Speech At Muslim Convention In Detroit
8.25.2014 News Paul Bois
On Monday, The Toledo Blade reported that former President Jimmy Carter, the same President who accused Israel of practicing apartheid and called for the U.S to "legitimize" Hamas, will be giving the keynote speech at the 51st annual convention of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) held in Detroit this Friday, September 1st.
The speech will be held at a luncheon August 30th.
That very same evening, a session will be held titled, "Generations Rise: Elevating Muslim-American Culture," the same title as the conference's theme, where ISNA's outgoing President, Imam Mohamed Magid and four other Muslim speakers will offer ideas over Muslim-American advancement over the next five years. A "secret special guest" is also billed to appear, no indications are made whether that will be Carter or not.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/jimmy-carter-give-keynote-speech-muslim-convention-detroit

Now doesn't that just warm the cockles of your heart?

Good to hear that more and more senior and respected people around the world are starting to raise awareness about what is going on in the occupied territories. Interesting that it turns out that the reasons for these human rights abuses is more business oriented. Well, matches well the general impression people always had with Jews..5555555.... But on a more serious note: Israel has been stealing so much land froim the Palestinians throughout the last decades, it is really sickening. Shame on them!

Look at the on Internet available map of land distribution in Palestina from 1946 to now. The Jews have been stealing the whole lot! What is left from Palestina is now just a tiny little piece. The Jews are definitely out there with the worst human rights offenders in history!

Interesting that it turns out that the reasons for these human rights abuses is more business oriented. Well, matches well the general impression people always had with Jews.

The same old hateful smears.

By the way, Jimmy Carter has been beating the same erroneous drum for decades. Nothing new there.

Interesting that it turns out that the reasons for these human rights abuses is more business oriented. Well, matches well the general impression people always had with Jews.

By the way, Jimmy Carter has been beating the same erroneous drum for decades. Nothing new there.

Where there is smoke there is some fire my dear!

I note that one inveterate poster (who can name himself if he chooses) has a very forgiving nature - as long as it is the IDF committing the crimes.

He has claimed that "way too many children" were killed by Israelis in the Gaza incursion. Personally, I think that anything more than "0" is too many. I don't know how many of the 490 dead children the poster thinks were "too many". Maybe the last 90? Even the last 390? And that is the strongest expression of sorrow I have yet to see from the Israeli cheer squad toward the deaths of these children. And then there are the thousands of children who have suffered serious injuries that they will carry throughout their lives. And the 260 dead women and 101 elderly dead. (http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/08/gaza-goy-2014827104730724557.html)

Yet so many of Israeli apologists on TV not only endorse but celebrate the invasion. And, despite compelling evidence to the contrary, these apologists blame the Gazans themselves for the invasion and slaughter by the IDF. These same apologists then verbally attack and attempt to denigrate anyone who doesn't join them in cheering at the destruction of a city and the deaths of the people. And constantly attempt to justify the slaughter by positioning the Gazans as less-than-human and a threat to the cultured, civilised inhabitants of Israel. Just like old times, really.

• Like 2

Clicked the link. No risk.

Now you click this one:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=palestinian+kids+with+guns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0Pb_U4CuNdiVuATMh4HACA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=985#q=israeli+kids+with+guns&tbm=isch

This link leads to a bunch of photos of Israeli kids doing learning to play with weapons too. So, what was the point you so obviously failed to make?

• Like 1

Now you click this one:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=palestinian+kids+with+guns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0Pb_U4CuNdiVuATMh4HACA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=985#q=israeli+kids+with+guns&tbm=isch

This link leads to a bunch of photos of Israeli kids doing learning to play with weapons too. So, what was the point you so obviously failed to make?

The point I was trying to make is that Israel is not going anywhere.

Correct... Israel is not going anywhere, until it makes its enemies its friends.

Shalom

• Like 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8.25.2014 News Paul Bois
On Monday, The Toledo Blade reported that former President Jimmy Carter, the same President who accused Israel of practicing apartheid and called for the U.S to "legitimize" Hamas, will be giving the keynote speech at the 51st annual convention of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) held in Detroit this Friday, September 1st.
That very same evening, a session will be held titled, "Generations Rise: Elevating Muslim-American Culture," the same title as the conference's theme, where ISNA's outgoing President, Imam Mohamed Magid and four other Muslim speakers will offer ideas over Muslim-American advancement over the next five years. A "secret special guest" is also billed to appear, no indications are made whether that will be Carter or not.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/jimmy-carter-give-keynote-speech-muslim-convention-detroit

More on this:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/08/27/Jimmy-Carter-To-Headline-Fundraiser-for-Hamas-Front-Group

Edited by Morch

Have y'all read the hot old book: "The Mind of an Anti-Semite"?

Edited by Jingthing

Good to hear that more and more senior and respected people around the world are starting to raise awareness about what is going on in the occupied territories. Interesting that it turns out that the reasons for these human rights abuses is more business oriented. Well, matches well the general impression people always had with Jews..5555555.... But on a more serious note: Israel has been stealing so much land froim the Palestinians throughout the last decades, it is really sickening. Shame on them!

Look at the on Internet available map of land distribution in Palestina from 1946 to now. The Jews have been stealing the whole lot! What is left from Palestina is now just a tiny little piece. The Jews are definitely out there with the worst human rights offenders in history!

Proving yet again the direct link between Israel demonization and racism against Jews.

For right-wing zionist who justify child killing as a self-defence, as you and some of your TV friends, anything is good to put the attention away from the genocide committed by Israel in Palestina.

Have y'all read the hot old book: "The Mind of an Anti-Semite"?

Reading the minds of child-killers is enough a burdon for me already.

Proving yet again the direct link between Israel demonization and racism against Jews.

For right-wing zionist who justify child killing as a self-defence, as you and some of your TV friends, anything is good to put the attention away from the genocide committed by Israel in Palestina.

Here is another perspective for you:

(BTW, "child killing" is NOT Israeli government policy. Innocents do get hurt and killed in wartime when going after military targets. Just so you know, supporting Israel's right to exist and defend herself doesn't necessarily make a person a RIGHT WING Zionist. I don't identify as right wing.)

“You don’t need to be a history professor, or a psychiatrist, to understand what’s going on,” says Friedman. “The descendants of powerless people who were pushed out of Europe and the Islamic Middle East have become what their grandparents were — the pool into which the world spits. The Jews of Israel are the screen onto which it has become socially acceptable to project the things you hate about yourself and your own country. The tool through which this psychological projection is executed is the international press.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/michael-gerson-the-continuing-menace-of-anti-semitism/2014/08/28/b14b154c-2ef1-11e4-9b98-848790384093_story.html

Edited by Jingthing

(BTW, "child killing" is NOT Israeli government policy.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/michael-gerson-the-continuing-menace-of-anti-semitism/2014/08/28/b14b154c-2ef1-11e4-9b98-848790384093_story.html

I don't care if it is GO policy or not but it is what Israel is doing and this is for what Israel is being associated with right now and fuels the worldwide outcry of these non-acceptable crimes against humanity.

(BTW, "child killing" is NOT Israeli government policy. Innocents do get hurt and killed in wartime when going after military targets. Just so you know, supporting Israel's right to exist and defend herself doesn't necessarily make a person a RIGHT WING Zionist. I don't identify as right wing.)

“You don’t need to be a history professor, or a psychiatrist, to understand what’s going on,” says Friedman. “The descendants of powerless people who were pushed out of Europe and the Islamic Middle East have become what their grandparents were — the pool into which the world spits. The Jews of Israel are the screen onto which it has become socially acceptable to project the things you hate about yourself and your own country. The tool through which this psychological projection is executed is the international press.”

A school a military target after the UN repeatedly has told the Israeli army that is of-limits? You are joking man! You might not be a right-wing, so how should I call you, somebody who justifies killing children?

Edited by Jean Pierre Jacquot

Now you click this one:

Don't know if you even looked at your own link but the pics showing Israeli kids were shot during the annual arms exhibitions of the IDF in the Israeli independence day. This is an arms exhibition held every year throughout Israel. The weapons have no ammunition.

On the other hand, the link is also full of images of Palestinian kids, and many of those pics were shot during training of those little boys to be "resistance fighters". Many of those kids are using live ammunition.

Bigggg difference, mate.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/hamas-summer-camps-palestinian-children-receive-military-style-training-gaza-1453506

Hamas Summer Camps: Palestinian Children Receive Military-Style Training in Gaza

Hamas stages dozens of military-style summer camps for young Palestinians in the Gaza Strip. Children attending the camps take part in a range of activities including obstacle courses and sports events – as well as simulated kidnappings and dismantling real guns while blindfolded.

Edited by dr_lucas
  • Like 2

A school a military target after the UN repeatedly has told the Israeli army that is of-limits? You are joking man! You might not be a right-wing, so how should I call you, somebody who justifies killing children?

You are just flaming now. Your racist posting history is there (what remains anyway) for everyone to see.

• Like 1

You are just flaming now. Your racist posting history is there (what remains anyway) for everyone to see.

Don't divert from the topic in your response. Israel has been murdering children and you guys have no arguments and or facts to rebuke this. But as good zionists you don't aknowledge that, you wouldn't even consider it was a mistake. But what can we expect from people supporting a genocide?

Don't divert from the topic in your response. Israel has been murdering children and you guys have no arguments and or facts to rebuke this. But as good zionists you don't aknowledge that, you wouldn't even consider it was a mistake. But what can we expect from people supporting a genocide?

Jews, huh? Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. It's impossible to have a civil discussion with posters who have openly expressed anti-Jewish racism and also insist on labeling people who support the existence and defense of the legitimate nation of Israel as supporting genocide and child murders.

So, take this as a notice of IGNORE.

Edited by Jingthing

You appear not to have a very good command of English. Jewish does not equal Zionist, and self defence from rocket attacks fired from civilian areas does not equal murder. 2000+ casualties from self defensive action over several weeks is not genocide, it's getting off lightly.

Edited by jacky54

8.25.2014 News Paul Bois

More on this:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/08/27/Jimmy-Carter-To-Headline-Fundraiser-for-Hamas-Front-Group

Thanks for that link. Jimmy Carter raising funds for Islamic terror groups - the old hypocrite. Is anyone really surprised?

Former President Jimmy Carter is the featured keynote speaker at this weekends Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) convention at Detroits Cobo Hall.

The Justice Department recently implicated ISNA, which claims to be Americas largest Muslim organization, as the lead conduit in a scheme to illegally pass on $12 million to Hamas, the Palestinian terror group established to annihilate the State of Israel. Hamas is officially designated a terrorist group by the US governmen