Min Age to Pillion

saramsland

As long as your child is old enough to understand that he / she needs to sit still and strong enough to hold onto you (assuming pillioning behind), should be fine. I pillion my 3 year on the front of my PCX - he understands that he needs to grab hold of the handlebars as well

• Like 1

As long as your child is old enough to understand that he / she needs to sit still and strong enough to hold onto you (assuming pillioning behind), should be fine. I pillion my 3 year on the front of my PCX - he understands that he needs to grab hold of the handlebars as well

Does he wear a crash helmet?
  • Like 1

how is that relevant to the OPs topic? Edited by yankee99

post-143305-0-56420700-1408553830_thumb.

And he insists on putting the visor down even though I have a full Givi windscreen

Damn there are a lot of nannies on this board.

Whatever happened to letting nature take its course? Survival of the fittest dictates that those who's parenting skills (lack of intelligent) does not allow making informed decisions as to the well-being of their offspring probably don't need to procreate. If society as a whole ensures that the idiots are safe from themselves...soon society will be full of idiots.

If you have a problem with that...compare different societies through time...the nanny states from now against those who recognised nature's laws...see which had the highest percentages of creativity, invention, etc. versus struggling to provide for the dredges of society.

And don't give me "Think of the children". George Carlin said it succinctly:

Something else I’m getting tired of... there’s all this stupid bullshit that we have to listen to all the time about children. It’s all you hear in this country... children, “help the children!” “what about the children?” “save the children!” You know what I say? the children! ‘em! They’re getting entirely too much attention! And I know what you’re thinking, you say “Jesus, he’s not gonna attack children is he?” Yes he is! He’s going to attack children! And remember, this is Mr. Conductor talking; I know what I’m talking about! I also know all you single dads and soccer moms who think you’re such heroes aren’t gonna like this, but somebody’s gotta tell you for your own good, your children are overrated and overvalued. You’ve turned them into little cult objects, you have a child fetish, and it’s not healthy! Don’t give me that weak shit “well, I love my children!” you! Everybody loves their children, doesn’t make you special. John Wayne Gacy loved his children... kept them all right out on the yard near the garage. That’s not what I’m talking about. What I’m talking about is this constant mindless yammering in the media, this neurotic fixation that somehow, everything, EVERYTHING has to be revolved around children. It’s completely out of balance.

Listen, there are a couple of things about kids that you have to remember. First of all, they’re not all cute! Okay? In fact, if you look at them close, some of them are rather unpleasant-looking. And a lot of them don’t smell too good either; the little ones in particular seem to have a kind of urine and sour milk combination or something. Stay with me on this, the sooner you face it, the better off you’re gonna be. Second premise, not all children are smart and clever. Got that? Kids are like any other group of people; a few winners, a whole lot of losers! There are a lot of loser kids out there who simply aren’t going anywhere and you can’t save them all, you can’t save them all, you gotta let them go, you gotta cut them loose, you gotta stop overprotecting them cause you’re making them too soft. Today’s kids are way too soft. For one thing, there’s too much emphasis on safety; child-proof medicine bottles and fireproof pajamas, child restraints in car seats, and HELMETS! Bicycle, skateboard, baseball helmets! Kids have to wear helmets now for everything but jerking off! Grown-ups have taken all the fun out of being a kid just to save a few thousand lives. It’s pathetic! It’s pathetic! What’s happening is- what’s happening, you know what it is? These baby-boomers, these soft, fruity baby-boomers are raising an entire generation of soft, fruity kids who aren’t even allowed to have hazardous toys for Christ’s sakes! Hazardous toys, shit, whatever happened to natural selection? Survival of the fittest? The kid who swallows too many marbles doesn’t grow up to have kids of his own! Simple as that! Simple! Nature! Nature knows best. We’re saving entirely too many lives in this country of all ages. Nature should be allowed to do its job of killing off the weak and sickly and ignorant people without interference from airbags and batting helmets! Just think of it as passive eugenics okay?

/rant

The quote material I dont see the original reply on my forum display so unsure where this one is directed to.

But I have to say..

This is why I just love ThaiVisa so much!

Always on Topic, always so informative for the actual topic/question raised.

To those who put relative and helpful replies thank you, much appreciated.

attachicon.gifphoto (2).jpg

And he insists on putting the visor down even though I have a full Givi windscreen

Haha, have to like a kids way of thinking.

Actually my young bloke doesn't come on the bike with me at the moment but considering the morning traffic I would rather take the bike on the sunnies days to beat it!

Have a question for you though. I always understood that having the kid in front of you was illegal, not judging as I usually do the same so that I can keep an eye on him when he does come for a short ride but with the increased police activity as of late are they hassling you at any roadstops?

i carry a kid at times too, my symbolic daughter - three and a half years old. First day, on the bike with her, i stopped at a helmet shop right away 100 meters to my soi and bough a small, cute bright orange helmet.

People at the soi was smiling at her for her cuteness and appreciate us for buying her a helmet and let her wear it as no one around is doing it. A lady came and said, she felt ashamed when she see my symbolic daughter having a helmet and hers does not!

She likes the helmet a lot and was wearing it at home to at timesbiggrin.png So, she started early on helmets and sure she will make it a habit and wear it all the time for the rest of her life.

Moreover, now i see helmets on other kids ridden at the soi by parents so it looks like they felt ashamed too and starting to get helmet for their kids which is a good thing!

There is nothing wrong to carry a kid with a motorcycle provided that you have to be triple careful.

• Like 2

Actually my young bloke doesn't come on the bike with me at the moment but considering the morning traffic I would rather take the bike on the sunnies days to beat it!

Have a question for you though. I always understood that having the kid in front of you was illegal, not judging as I usually do the same so that I can keep an eye on him when he does come for a short ride but with the increased police activity as of late are they hassling you at any roadstops?

I have no idea whether it's illegal to carry a child in front of you. In fact, I have even seen specially made up sits for kids on some bikes but it's not something I will do on my PCX. I have never been stopped by the cops (in / around Asoke/Sukhumvit) for this. At his age, I don't think that he is strong enough or matured enough to sit behind me.

i carry a kid at times too, my symbolic daughter - three and a half years old. First day, on the bike with her, i stopped at a helmet shop right away 100 meters to my soi and bough a small, cute bright orange helmet.

People at the soi was smiling at her for her cuteness and appreciate us for buying her a helmet and let her wear it as no one around is doing it. A lady came and said, she felt ashamed when she see my symbolic daughter having a helmet and hers does not!

She likes the helmet a lot and was wearing it at home to at timesbiggrin.png So, she started early on helmets and sure she will make it a habit and wear it all the time for the rest of her life.

Moreover, now i see helmets on other kids ridden at the soi by parents so it looks like they felt ashamed too and starting to get helmet for their kids which is a good thing!

There is nothing wrong to carry a kid with a motorcycle provided that you have to be triple careful.

Yes, the helmet is more symbolic than offering actual protection. It is to get them into the frame of mind of wearing a helmet - much like our own transition from non seat belt to seat belts nowadays. Of course, another good example is for the kid to see their parents wearing a helmet too!

Damn there are a lot of nannies on this board.

Whatever happened to letting nature take its course? Survival of the fittest dictates that those who's parenting skills (lack of intelligent) does not allow making informed decisions as to the well-being of their offspring probably don't need to procreate. If society as a whole ensures that the idiots are safe from themselves...soon society will be full of idiots.

If you have a problem with that...compare different societies through time...the nanny states from now against those who recognised nature's laws...see which had the highest percentages of creativity, invention, etc. versus struggling to provide for the dredges of society.

And don't give me "Think of the children". George Carlin said it succinctly:

Something else I’m getting tired of... there’s all this stupid bullshit that we have to listen to all the time about children. It’s all you hear in this country... children, “help the children!” “what about the children?” “save the children!” You know what I say? <deleted> the children! <deleted> ‘em! They’re getting entirely too much attention! And I know what you’re thinking, you say “Jesus, he’s not gonna attack children is he?” Yes he is! He’s going to attack children! And remember, this is Mr. Conductor talking; I know what I’m talking about! I also know all you single dads and soccer moms who think you’re such <deleted> heroes aren’t gonna like this, but somebody’s gotta tell you for your own good, your children are overrated and overvalued. You’ve turned them into little cult objects, you have a child fetish, and it’s not healthy! Don’t give me that weak shit “well, I love my children!” <deleted> you! Everybody loves their children, doesn’t make you special. John Wayne Gacy loved his children... kept them all right out on the yard near the garage. That’s not what I’m talking about. What I’m talking about is this constant mindless yammering in the media, this neurotic fixation that somehow, everything, EVERYTHING has to be revolved around children. It’s completely out of balance.

Listen, there are a couple of things about kids that you have to remember. First of all, they’re not all cute! Okay? In fact, if you look at them close, some of them are rather unpleasant-looking. And a lot of them don’t smell too good either; the little ones in particular seem to have a kind of urine and sour milk combination or something. Stay with me on this, the sooner you face it, the better off you’re gonna be. Second premise, not all children are smart and clever. Got that? Kids are like any other group of people; a few winners, a whole lot of losers! There are a lot of loser kids out there who simply aren’t going anywhere and you can’t save them all, you can’t save them all, you gotta let them go, you gotta cut them loose, you gotta stop overprotecting them cause you’re making them too soft. Today’s kids are way too soft. For one thing, there’s too much emphasis on safety; child-proof medicine bottles and fireproof pajamas, child restraints in car seats, and HELMETS! Bicycle, skateboard, baseball helmets! Kids have to wear helmets now for everything but jerking off! Grown-ups have taken all the fun out of being a kid just to save a few thousand lives. It’s pathetic! It’s pathetic! What’s happening is- what’s happening, you know what it is? These baby-boomers, these soft, fruity baby-boomers are raising an entire generation of soft, fruity kids who aren’t even allowed to have hazardous toys for Christ’s sakes! Hazardous toys, shit, whatever happened to natural selection? Survival of the fittest? The kid who swallows too many marbles doesn’t grow up to have kids of his own! Simple as that! Simple! Nature! Nature knows best. We’re saving entirely too many lives in this country of all ages. Nature should be allowed to do its job of killing off the weak and sickly and ignorant people without interference from airbags and batting helmets! Just think of it as passive eugenics okay?

/rant

Haha. But not quite sure what you are driving at dave_boo. Are you saying that it's unnecessary for a kid to wear a helmet? In fact, I doubt very much that the helmet will offer any protection in the event of an accident. It's more of trying to instill a habit from a young age

Haha. But not quite sure what you are driving at dave_boo. Are you saying that it's unnecessary for a kid to wear a helmet? In fact, I doubt very much that the helmet will offer any protection in the event of an accident. It's more of trying to instill a habit from a young age

Wasn't saying that they shouldn't. But we got all of 3 replies in before the drivel came out. Either you can look at it as the question being asked because of the assumption you are a stupid inattentive parent or that society should regulate things like that. If the first rationale is the reason the question was asked...that's a slight to the OP. If it's the second reason...why doesn't the interrogator &lt;deleted&gt; off back to his own country where kids are protected beyond reason and stupid people are outbreeding the smart ones?

Yes, the helmet is more symbolic than offering actual protection. It is to get them into the frame of mind of wearing a helmet - much like our own transition from non seat belt to seat belts nowadays. Of course, another good example is for the kid to see their parents wearing a helmet too!

Cops will not stop motorcycles with children on, provided the adult wear a helmet.

There is no helmet requirement for children as far as I know.

• Like 1

I have no idea whether it's illegal to carry a child in front of you. In fact, I have even seen specially made up sits for kids on some bikes but it's not something I will do on my PCX. I have never been stopped by the cops (in / around Asoke/Sukhumvit) for this. At his age, I don't think that he is strong enough or matured enough to sit behind me.

It's illegal but doesn't seem to be enforced much.

Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522

Title 17

Section 121 (500B)

The rider of a motorcycle shall sit on the saddle, provided for the motorcycle rider. If the competent officer specifies in the registration to be able to carry passengers, the passenger shall ride at the back seat provided for the passenger, or in the side-car.

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

• Like 2

Cops will not stop motorcycles with children on, provided the adult wear a helmet.

That there could be no helmet requirement for children is a ridiculous notion.

Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522

Title 17

Section 122 (500B)

The rider and the passenger of a motorcycle shall wear a motorcycle helmet.

The provision under this Section shall not apply to monks, novices, ascetics, persons of other religions which require wearing of a turban, or any persons under Ministerial Regulation.

Am I to understand you believe that helmets for children (assuming they are properly fitting) and seat belts don't drastically reduce the degree of injury and chance of death in an accident?

• Like 1

Am I to understand you believe that helmets for children (assuming they are properly fitting) and seat belts don't drastically reduce the degree of injury and chance of death in an accident?

No no. Helmets and seat belts DO drastically reduce the degree of injury and chance of death in an accident. What I mean is that there aren't any properly fitting helmets for a child of such a tender age. The smallest helmets I could find here in Thailand would fit a child of 5 years and above. That reminds me, on my next trip to Europe, I will look for a better fitting helmet - thanks for the heads up.

Title 17

Section 121 (500B)

The rider of a motorcycle shall sit on the saddle, provided for the motorcycle rider. If the competent officer specifies in the registration to be able to carry passengers, the passenger shall ride at the back seat provided for the passenger, or in the side-car.

"It's illegal but doesn't seem to be enforced much"

Thank goodness for that. Can you imagine the uproar if parents / guardians / motosai taxis are not able to send or pick up the kids from schools? Taxi fares alone will blow many a household budget, not to mention the ensuing traffic congestion.

Title 17

Section 121 (500B)

"It's illegal but doesn't seem to be enforced much"

Thank goodness for that. Can you imagine the uproar if parents / guardians / motosai taxis are not able to send or pick up the kids from schools? Taxi fares alone will blow many a household budget, not to mention the ensuing traffic congestion.

Motosai drivers can and often do carry helmets with them, and it is not that difficult to purchase a helmet if you intend on riding a motorbike.

Wasn't saying that they shouldn't. But we got all of 3 replies in before the drivel came out. Either you can look at it as the question being asked because of the assumption you are a stupid inattentive parent or that society should regulate things like that. If the first rationale is the reason the question was asked...that's a slight to the OP. If it's the second reason...why doesn't the interrogator off back to his own country where kids are protected beyond reason and stupid people are outbreeding the smart ones?

Me.. The OP took it a question of curiosity.

The original question of mine was purely just wanting to know what the law states rather than working from 'im pretty sure.. Da da da' as I am planning of having the young fella come on the bike to best the morning traffic.

No no. Helmets and seat belts DO drastically reduce the degree of injury and chance of death in an accident. What I mean is that there aren't any properly fitting helmets for a child of such a tender age. The smallest helmets I could find here in Thailand would fit a child of 5 years and above. That reminds me, on my next trip to Europe, I will look for a better fitting helmet - thanks for the heads up.

There are. maybe just hard to find.

"Wearing of a motorcycle helmet is an important

safety behavior for motorcycle riders. If a 90% helmet wearing rate among
motorcycle riders on the road is achieved, deaths and severe head injuries among
motorcycle riders would be decreased by 30%. The causes of not wearing helmet
were inadequate knowledge and lack of enforcement. This resulted in the helmet
industry not producing motorcycle helmets for 2-5 year old children, and helmets for 6-14
years old (smallest size of the standard helmet) were difficult to find outside of Bangkok.
(Children of less than 2 years old can not wear standard motorcycle helmet due to weak
neck muscle.) The child motorcycle helmet project aimed to catalyze the manufacturing of
standard motorcycle helmet for 2-5 year-old child and promote helmet wearing in children
< 15years old, of which will decrease deaths and serious head injuries in children.
Detail of the initiative
1. To have the 2-4 year-old child helmet manufactured – The manufacturers
required certainty in the sales, which depends on the enforcement on this age group
and the first purchase order which is large enough to cover the cost for the new mold.
The cost only for the new mold was about 100,000 Baht (USD 2,500). Fund raising
from the private sector was tried but received no actual contribution. Finally, 3 million
Baht (approximately 75,000 USD at that time) from government budget of the
RSDC‘s secretary office (Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation), was
mobilized from the saved budget in purchasing alcohol breath analyzers, to purchase
the first lot of 15,000 child (2-5 years old) helmet through open bidding.
o The Subcommittee on child helmet, under the RSDC, organized a workshop
for all helmet manufacturers to inform the policy of the RSDC and provide
opportunity to the manufacturers to discuss technical issues of the new
standard and production of child (2-5 years old) motorcycle helmet with the
experts.
o The standard of motorcycle helmet for children 2-5 years old was announced
by the Industrial Ministry. The specification to purchase the child helmet was
announced accordingly, with major features to be half shell, weight of less
than 0.5 kg and head circumference 500 – 520 mm, to be suitable to the
small child. ( full standard- Annex1 )
2. To distribute the purchased child helmets, raise awareness and promote
wearing at local and national level - A call for 15 pilot provinces application was
circulated to all governors, together with the concept paper of the project. A contract
was signed by the governors, the chief police, and the education chief of each pilot
province with the RSDC Chair (Dep. PM) stating that each pilot province would
receive 1,000 child MC helmet but would also have to mobilize local resources "
052709SamoengMirSm.jpg
120608BikerMirMom1Sm.jpg
THL-HelmetPhoto1.png?itok=IwnHPxcb
The best I have seen is the i-hop from Index:
121309Mir2Sm.jpg
  • Like 2

Wasn't saying that they shouldn't. But we got all of 3 replies in before the drivel came out. Either you can look at it as the question being asked because of the assumption you are a stupid inattentive parent or that society should regulate things like that. If the first rationale is the reason the question was asked...that's a slight to the OP. If it's the second reason...why doesn't the interrogator off back to his own country where kids are protected beyond reason and stupid people are outbreeding the smart ones?

Me.. The OP took it a question of curiosity.

The original question of mine was purely just wanting to know what the law states rather than working from 'im pretty sure.. Da da da' as I am planning of having the young fella come on the bike to best the morning traffic.

Well your answer is no, there is no minimum age. However, since children are not exempt from the helmet laws, and there are no helmets made for very young children, ostensibly the law becomes the youngest age a child can ride pillion is the age at which a helmet cannot fit them, or under 2 years old since as we saw in the above link, the neck muscles in a child younger than 2 cannot support a helmet.

That there could be no helmet requirement for children is a ridiculous notion.

Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522

Title 17

Section 122 (500B)

The rider and the passenger of a motorcycle shall wear a motorcycle helmet.

The provision under this Section shall not apply to monks, novices, ascetics, persons of other religions which require wearing of a turban, or any persons under Ministerial Regulation.

Good point - nevertheless I have never seen or heard about anyone getting stopped because children are not wearing helmets.

The Law sets the fine to 500 baht, but police wants 400 baht, so I wonder if this article of Law has been taken over in Poice directives for enforcement.

Out in the sticks they transport their newborn babies from the hospital to home on the back of a motorcycle - which could easily be 50km away! Why? Because there is no other alternative except walk of course.

• Like 1