Tourist Visa due to expire, still awaiting docs to apply for non imm B. What to do?

Hi

I'm starting to get a little panicky about what my next plan of action should be regarding my Visa situation. I am currently on the final entry of a triple entry tourist visa, 60 days will expire on 8th September. I have secured a job, and ALMOST all of the required paperwork to convert it into a Non-Imm B. Previously I flew from Chiang Mai to Bangkok to convert the Tourist visa - Non Imm B using a TM.86 form. The officer said that the only missing document was the one from the Office of Vocational Education Commission and sent me on my way. At the time of going to BKK I had more than the stipulated 15 days left on my tourist Visa.

After Friday this week I will have less than the 15 days, and with no signs from the personnel department that this document will be ready anytime soon, I am unsure what the next best route to take is.

The options that I believe I have are:

1 - Extend the current tourist Visa by 30 days in Chiang Mai in the hope that this document turns up within that period, then fly back to BKK to change using TM.86.

2 - Leave the country to somewhere like Vientiane, and apply for a Non-B there, although I believe this Ministry of Education letter will be required there also.

3 - Leave for Vientiane (or similar) and hope to be let back in on a 30 days exemption, then go to BKK (if said document has turned up) and apply for Non-Imm B using TM.87 form.

4 - Do nothing, wait for the document to turn up, then apply for Non-Imm B at BKK. (If my tourist Visa has expired by then, am I on a 30 days exemption (I'm from the UK), or do I have to leave Thailand by air and come back for this to be activated?).

All comments welcome, especially from those who have been through the same process.

Thanks in advance.