Order electronics from other countries

orc

Hello

Does somebody have experience with ordering electronic goods like photo cameras and the likes?

Do they ship to your door with ups or so?

I did order supplements from USA(with ups), instead of getting it delivered to my adress,i had to pay "stockage fee" about 2000b per day(while they would send me a confirmation of arrival few days later instead of the real arrival date), then they said I need a license to import(actually true for supplements), and i hade to pay bribes to get my stuff, besides running around at the the freight all day.

Storage fees are not in the thousands, especially not for a camera, but rather in the low hundreds . But anyway you have learned a lesson, and next time avoid international courier companies, but send it by USPS or EMS instead. Might save you some money in clearing costs.

I ordered a Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon US earlier this year. It was delivered to me in Chiang Mai by UPS within 5 days and was fully traceable so I knew exactly where it was and when it would be delivered. They charged me a fairly high import duty initially until they got the bill for import, then refunded me the balance.

Photo cameras are pretty cheap here in Thailand if you are not buying them from retail shops like powerbuy etc.

Check pix-one / ecmall for import prices.

For other electronics, use a freight forwarder like myus / vpost (Vpost is cheaper in heavier items)

I have purchased electronic items through AliExpress in China. I normally choose the free shipping option which means the item is shipped via either China Post or Hong Kong Post, usually taking between 21 to 45 days to arrive. Thai Post usually delivers the item to the reception desk of my Bangkok apartment.

There is usually duty to be paid on delivery. On items costing from US$ 100-200, the duty is usually around B300++

Normally, I leave an envelope with reception containing about B400 in small bills and some change so reception can pay the exact amount and accept the package for me. Usually the delivery person will call before coming but most speak only Thai so it can be confusing.

If I fail to do that and reception can not get hold of me, the package will be returned to the local post office where I will have to go pick it up and pay the duty there.

I should add that lately I've been using Thai based online stores whenever I can, eliminating the duty problem and usually much faster delivery.

Edited by dddave

Thx for all the answers. Some professional stuff is usualy not available in thai stores, or the "distributor" is ordering it from the country of origin at list price + shipping cost and genreous currency convertion with 6weeks of waiting time.

I have no problem paying tva and handling fee(800b) for an item. I just dont agree on bribes and stocking fees...if i pay a company for shipping i expect them to handle that.

Despite what people say i think most electronics are as cheap or cheaper than abroad. So why take the risk of ordering from overseas. The exception might be the USA where everything is dirt cheap. I have recently bought an SLR camera and tablet and they were cheaper than the UK.

Despite what people say i think most electronics are as cheap or cheaper than abroad. So why take the risk of ordering from overseas. The exception might be the USA where everything is dirt cheap. I have recently bought an SLR camera and tablet and they were cheaper than the UK.

Bound to be the case - 17.5% VAT in the UK. Small or nil sales tax in the US. No tax in Hong Kong (?correct?). I always used to buy my camera gear in New York when on visits (and posted the manuals and packaging back to myself!)

Have bought lenses in HK and they were always cheaper than the UK.

Thaikand is just able to keep up with prices because baht was diving. UK will be the worse place to buy photographic gear. HK is also very expensive on professional stuff, even they don't have tax.

US is good. Surprisingly switzerland has the cheapest online shops and the broadest selection.

As said it's not about items I can easily get in Thailand. The market in thailand is just full with low end and consumer products. Nust what people have money for to buy.

Thais who buy high end products usually dont care if they could get the products from the US for half the price, as they d rather say: my camera cost's 1000000b then saging it costs 500000b.