Which school for a 5 year old kid, he don't like Maryvit anymore

guzzi850m2

Hi,

My son has been attending above school for about 2 years now and he likes it less and less.

The last 2-3 month it have become so bad that he cries when we drop him off in the morning and he will not let go of his mother.

This is worrying as we want him to enjoy the schooling and it break our hearts to see him like this.

He about middle in his class regarding his general skills so it's not because he can't follow the lectures (well maybe a fine word, this is only kindergarten after all) he is unhappy.

I can't say my son is a quiet/polite kid despite our efforts to try making him one, he can be very hard to control at times and stubborn too.

I think this goes quite hard on the discipline they enforce at maryvit as 90% of the kids do what they are told without questions and they are quiet/polite.

When I was overseas working the teacher told my wife that she had to hit my son as she didn't know what else to do. It was a firm clap on the ass which don't worry me too much as I had my share of them myself when I was a kid, he-he and the teacher is a nice person, I can see it in her eyes.

Maryvit is generally considered a very good one but they are not very forthcoming when we go at the office and I want to speak English and they speak Thai to my wife instead.

The Thai teachers in the kindergarten classes generally can't speak any English but they always have 2 teachers in each class, 1 Thai (the boss) and one Philippine/Chinese.

This school is so big now that getting to/from there is a bit of a nightmare, parking sometimes next to impossible, I think they have +4000 students and they have just build another wing for expansion.

So now my wife and me are discussing what to do? Wait and see or move him?

We will check out Mooltripakdee international school, perhaps their way of teaching suits my son better

Your interest in and concern for your son's education is laudable. But it sounds like his behavior is as much or more of the problem than the school, and unless you can get that under control, he is likely to have continuing problems at what ever school he attends. Maryvit School has a good reputation, but as you note it is very large, with a very large enrollment, and many children may feel (and actually are) lost in the crowd. With so many students, there may be little opportunity to identify and deal with individual problems and needs, and a swat on the back side may the universal "cure all" to all problems, which may actually make the problem worse, as it makes the child feel unwelcome and breeds fear and hostility. But with so many kids to deal with, it my also be unavoidable.

We visited Mooltreepakdee on two occasions, and were not impressed with the school's administration or management -- confused and unhelpful is an understatement. We also met the teacher and visited the class that our child would attend, and she seemed very nice, and had a Thai teacher's aid for about 25 students in the class. The school seemed quiet and not crowded, and generally pleasant. The children all seemed happy and enjoying themselves. But they had no room for our child, so sending her there was a non issue. You should visit the school, your feelings may be very positive as a school for your son. There are also Satit and the Phoenix School, which both get mixed reviews -- the people that we know that had children at Satit and Phoenix have moved them to Maryvit, and are pleased with the change, as are their children. So, if you are not happy with Maryvit, it is hard to suggest either of them as an option.

We had both of our children at Hastin Pre-school on Soi Siam CC, which is small, quiet and very attentive to the children. Our kids were very happy there, but they only offer schooling through 6 years old, so if you moved your son there, he would need to change again in 1 year, which is far from ideal. Still, it may provide a better, more comfortable environment for your son while you look for a long term solution.

Good luck!

Thanks guys,

We went to have a look at Mooltreepakdee today and had a good long talk with the Principal and we liked what he said.

They are fully booked right now and have a waiting list and we are not really interested in the other schools, some other international schools are crazy expensive.

The catholic school in Sri Racha is supposedly very good too but a bit long way for my wife to drive him when I when I gone for work.

We will wait for now and perhaps we are over reacting as my son is happy enough when he settles in and there is no doubt it's a good school and I heard that students that can't follow the curriculum are told to leave and that is not the case with our son, his scores are in the 85-89% range.

He is possible a bit spoiled since he is my wife's only kid and I told her many times to be harder on him and he has to know who is the boss.

Thanks guys,

We went to have a look at Mooltreepakdee today and had a good long talk with the Principal and we liked what he said.

They are fully booked right now and have a waiting list and we are not really interested in the other schools, some other international schools are crazy expensive.

The catholic school in Sri Racha is supposedly very good too but a bit long way for my wife to drive him when I when I gone for work.

We will wait for now and perhaps we are over reacting as my son is happy enough when he settles in and there is no doubt it's a good school and I heard that students that can't follow the curriculum are told to leave and that is not the case with our son, his scores are in the 85-89% range.

He is possible a bit spoiled since he is my wife's only kid and I told her many times to be harder on him and he has to know who is the boss.

Put your son on the Mooltree waiting list, and when there is an opening for him, you can reevaluate the situation then. Good luck.

• Like 1

I had my oldest kid in Montessori (now Mooltree), but moved him to St Andrews, our youngest son started there too. Much better place. But very expensive.

You are absolutely correct on both counts -- St. Andrews is a very good school, probably regarded as the best private school in the area, and very expensive. It is also a long journey every day for a young child living in the Pattaya area. You obviously have options for school that most parents don't see on their radar. Mooltree offers a "compromise/tradeoff" on these factors -- it is relatively close, affordable and better than most of the other schools in the area, certainly better than the other schools in its price range. And it stays pretty full, which is a good indication that it must be doing some things right. If money and school fees are no object, then the choice clearly would be (except for the distance) St. Andrews. If school fees are a factor, then Mooltree is worth considering. Neither of my kids go to Mooltree, but I would not be especially concerned if they did. And for a parent looking for an alternative school for his child having social/behavioral problems at Maryvit (which I never would have considered for young kids, primarily due to its size), IMO it may well be the best option available.

• Like 2

Thanks guys,

When we lived there our son went to Mooltripakdee international school. He started there as soon as the school opened and he loved every day of it, in fact he could not understand why he couldnt go on weekends as well.

• Like 2

Our son went to the catholic school in Sri Racha ,its called Assumption ,he is now in university ,both our neighbours children go there ,its excellent ,he did the English programme (his english was perfect as he lived in the UK before)if you do not want to drive there a minibus picks the children up from your home ,about 2k a month no problem parking the grounds cover several acres and the facilities are first class.

Our son went to the catholic school in Sri Racha ,its called Assumption ,he is now in university ,both our neighbours children go there ,its excellent ,he did the English programme (his english was perfect as he lived in the UK before)if you do not want to drive there a minibus picks the children up from your home ,about 2k a month no problem parking the grounds cover several acres and the facilities are first class.

Yes I heard this school is good too.

Well for the time being he gonna stay where he is, we had another talk with the teacher this morning and it's only when we drop him off that he makes a big drama.

He have 10 minutes of misery every morning and then he gets over it and play with the other children, I am sure it will get better later on, the little guy is only 4.8 years old.

I had my oldest kid in Montessori (now Mooltree), but moved him to St Andrews, our youngest son started there too. Much better place. But very expensive.

Can you tell me what the problem was? They seems to have the English curriculum which is among the top 10 in the World I believe?

The school only have 400 students which is a bit low and I been told you pay extra for everything- lunch - swimming lessons and so on, no so on Maryvit.

We compared to the where they were at that time for the same age and found St Andrews more advanced. The Montessorri principal at that time seemed more interested in counting money. But that may have changed. We were about 10 families who made the move several years ago, while the school was still in Wongamat.

• Like 1

Yes I heard this school is good too.

Well for the time being he gonna stay where he is, we had another talk with the teacher this morning and it's only when we drop him off that he makes a big drama.

He have 10 minutes of misery every morning and then he gets over it and play with the other children, I am sure it will get better later on, the little guy is only 4.8 years old.

Best wishes to the little guy. Hope he adjusts and is happy.

• Like 1

Once he graduates from Uni, what will he do do you think? How much salary would he be likely to get in a 'good job'?

I understand that a degree here isn't recognised in any civilised country, so in short, pretty worthless?